Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2018, Budapest - Race 12/21

Rate the 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
So Renault have had an updated MGU-K available since Monaco, but since it's packaged differently Red-bull, so far, refuse to use it - maybe for penalty reasons also who knows. Renault and Mclaren(Stoffle only) have been using it since it was available and have had no issues with it so far. This is lighter, more durable and brings slightly better performance - it's the one that they have been waiting for for ages.

Also Red-bull use a different fuel and oil to the works team and Mclaren, the oil is used for lubrication and heat management, so it's down to red-bull to make sure they have this right - nothing to do with Renault. Sure, some failures may not be down to any of it but it's hard to know when you are not using the lubricant the engine was designed for or the fuel the engine was mapped for. I'm 99% sure that Red-bull will have to be altering the engine map to a small degree to account for the change in fuel - but that will have little no no effect on an MGU-K failures.

Soldato
Something is definitely going on as Renault have had a single retirement for reasons other than a collision all year (Hulkenberg in Austria).

Meanwhile Red Bull have had five; three for Ricciardo and two for Verstappen. Not all have been due to the power unit of course, but in any case Red Bull need to be looking at what they're doing differently. The terrible McLaren team (a team that couldn't even do a pitstop in pre-season) have had fewer retirements than Red Bull (two each for Alonso and Vandoorne).

Constantly blaming Renault, the supplier that's given them eight titles in succession (as many as Mercedes have had since), is a bit off when you look at the numbers. If it is Red Bull's fault and Renault have been supplying (or offering) identical components I'd be surprised if Renault haven't looked into legal action for defamation - perhaps they still will at the end of the year. Verstappen even tried to blame Renault's driveabilty for his poor qualifying, before seeing Sainz a couple of places ahead of him and deciding it was the car after all.

Those bridges are well and truly burned now. If the Honda tie-up doesn't work out (they look far better this year, but let's face it they hardly have a reputation for quality in F1) then there won't be any turning back, and Ferrari and Mercedes aren't likely to change their minds any time soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
The last two McLaren failures have been gearboxes, not Renaults fault, can't remember what their other failures were for though.

Look at the failure rate for Honda:

................................................ICE.TC...H....K...ES..CE
Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso Honda.......5....5....5....4....3....3
Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso Honda.6....5....5....5....3....3
(crappy formating)

If they have problems with Renault, then I dread what's in store for them next year.

Transmission breaker
Don
Red bull are clearly packaging that engine too hard/wrongly...
As said above, Renault are clearly doing a better job of it, and perhaps Red Bull need to remember that an engine needs adequate cooling and airflow.
It’s no good trying to shoehorn it into a really neat package if it continually kills the PU or associated systems.

Or a Renault are managing to provide them a deliberate b spec...

I know which one I believe...

Back
Top Bottom