Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2018, Budapest - Race 12/21

Rate the 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
The people who are still suggesting Vettel was to blame for Bottas hitting into him is comical, makes for great night reading :D

I dont think what Vettel did today was deserving of a penalty. Racing incident really.

However it was amateurish and careless and could have cost him his second place or indeed the chance of any points at all.

Soldato
The people who are still suggesting Vettel was to blame for Bottas hitting into him is comical, makes for great night reading :D

"London Bus"
Even if he’s not to blame it was a bit silly coming so close to the apex, with everything to lose and not a huge amount to gain he’d have been better leaving a little more room or moving closer to the kerb earlier, once in front Bottas was never going to be able to launch a counter attack so he didn’t need a perfect exit once he was in front.

Soldato
I dont think what Vettel did today was deserving of a penalty. Racing incident really.

However it was amateurish and careless and could have cost him his second place or indeed the chance of any points at all.

Troll game is weak.

Even if he’s not to blame it was a bit silly coming so close to the apex, with everything to lose and not a huge amount to gain he’d have been better leaving a little more room or moving closer to the kerb earlier, once in front Bottas was never going to be able to launch a counter attack so he didn’t need a perfect exit once he was in front.

Well it wasn't cause he was in front of him and then he went to take the turn as you would on the racing line. There is no way anyone should expect to be able to go up on the inside especially when the car you're racing is in front of you, even more so when you know your tires won't be able to handle braking in such a position (on both occasions).

I'd fully understand if they were side by side at that turn but they weren't:

Associate
Vettel was not going to get a penalty for that. Bottas took too much speed in to the corner and he wasn’t close enough to be given space.

It was silly from both as Bottas risked his wing and lost and Vettel could have had a puncture. Any word on the punishement for Bottas for the Ricciardo collision? I guess time penalty pointless as Ricciardo passed before the end of the race.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

All the fancy mirrors on the Ferrari and Vettel still didn’t see Bottas :D

Soldato

I'd agree with that, with Hamilton leading the championship he has to be the stick to be measured from. Could you see him putting his car in a similar position this season? Thinking about it could you see the wise old fox Alonso leaving his car in that position? I personally can't imagine either of them doing so.

These incidents will cost Vettel the title.

Soldato
Vettel was not going to get a penalty for that. Bottas took too much speed in to the corner and he wasn’t close enough to be given space.

It was silly from both as Bottas risked his wing and lost and Vettel could have had a puncture. Any word on the punishement for Bottas for the Ricciardo collision? I guess time penalty pointless as Ricciardo passed before the end of the race.
10s penalty which doesn’t affect the outcome as he was far enough in front of P6.

Soldato
I'd agree with that, with Hamilton leading the championship he has to be the stick to be measured from. Could you see him putting his car in a similar position this season? Thinking about it could you see the wise old fox Alonso leaving his car in that position? I personally can't imagine either of them doing so.

These incidents will cost Vettel the title.

Yes, Vettel has proved himself time and time again to have the same weakneses from ten years ago. He's emotional and gets easily angry with the red mist. He's poor in the wet. He has trouble racing wheel to wheel and resorts to bullying other drivers. A few inches the other way and Vettel could have got a puncture and lost all his points from this race. Hamilton has trained those things out of his driving and rarely makes a mistake. He's a much more complete driver.

Unless Hamilton has more car failures, I think we'll see Vettel lose the championship based on little errors that add up to big points losses.

Caporegime
Well it wasn't cause he was in front of him and then he went to take the turn as you would on the racing line. There is no way anyone should expect to be able to go up on the inside especially when the car you're racing is in front of you, even more so when you know your tires won't be able to handle braking in such a position (on both occasions).

If he was in front he wouldn't have hit Bottas. There's no "it's okay to drive into someone else 'cos it's only their wing" rule. Bottas probably should have yielded slightly because it was the smart thing to do - Vettel had him, may as well concentrate on the next battle - but he was under no obligation to do so. Vettel on the other hand was obliged to not hit Bottas and it was stupid of him to do so. He needlessly risked his position in the race with his clumsiness.

Soldato
Ferrari have been quite clever in the development of their car; they seem to have focused on getting the car off the line and storing/deploying energy for overtakes and quali.

Even if the merc outdoes Ferrari in quali, their second trick is launching off the line or attacking in the first few corners. These are the two most pivotal parts of the weekend and they’re exploiting them well. Not that Ferrari haven’t developed elsewhere but nailing these two aspects has brought them well in to play at the front of the field.

I was watching a video yesterday that shows how Ferrari may be using the two small wastegate exhausts along with a clever engine map as a blown rear diffuser replacement. Which partly explains their change of now stacking the exhausts rather than having them side by side as well as the shape change of the rear wing now having a dip in the middle. So it may not be the engine Ferrari has improved but this element instead. As we have seen before the blown rear diffusers were extremely affective so its not completely out of the question.

I wouldn't be surprised if other teams aren't trialling versions of this already...

Soldato

^^This^^ At this point Bottas' tyres were destroyed. I would've just given him the room knowing full well that I'm just going to drive away from him with better tyres and clean air. He didn't need to cut back in so aggressively. Imagine he got a puncture because of that, the red side of this forum/the Hamilton hating side would've exploded.

Caporegime
Drivers were taking a wider line on that corner all race long so there was no reason Vettel couldn't, it's just the old using your car as a weapon and forcing the other driver to brake because you don't want to race technique and citing the racing line as a lame excuse. I've said it a million time before but if staying on the racing line means causing a collision then you have no divine right to it.

Permabanned
Bottas is a disgrace, should have a 1-race ban for that. To call that a racing incident means that you can drive in to any person who has just overtaken you at the next corner and say that they did not leave me enough room.

Caporegime
Vettel and Bottas I agree with racing incident.
Vettel came in too tight but he could well have lost out massively.
I would hope it would have gone same way (no penalty) had vettel got a puncture. Somehow I doubt it

Very silly really by vettel. He was lucky

Have to say Hamilton has been exceptional all weekend. Bottas truly is a wingman and its obviously hurting. But wolff shouldn't have said it.. We all. Know it

Its ferraris championship to lose. It will probably come down to engine reliability rather than performance at this rate.
It will be a bitter pill for vettel of he loses because of German GP. And it could well be that

Hamilton has been the better driver this year I think

Caporegime
Bottas is a disgrace, should have a 1-race ban for that. To call that a racing incident means that you can drive in to any person who has just overtaken you at the next corner and say that they did not leave me enough room.

Vettel hit Bottas not the other way round. He was not fully past him and turned across him, crushing Bottas's front wing in the process. It was Vettel's fault and if there was to be a penalty (although I think it would be harsh if there was) then it should go to Vettel.

You are allowed to keep your position into a corner. The driver who has just overtaken does not have a right to drive into the space that the car they've just overtaken is currently occupying.

Man of Honour
Vettel hit Bottas not the other way round. He was not fully past him and turned across him, crushing Bottas's front wing in the process. It was Vettel's fault and if there was to be a penalty (although I think it would be harsh if there was) then it should go to Vettel.

You are allowed to keep your position into a corner. The driver who has just overtaken does not have a right to drive into the space that the car they've just overtaken is currently occupying.
Name..

Back
Top Bottom