Hurricane - Irma

Associate
Really really amazing just how quickly it intensitied in such a short period of time.
It's because of the temperature of the water. Around the Carribbean the water can be really warm like 26°C.

Just a small increase in that temperature by even 1°C is what can cause these tropical storms to become tremendous hurricanes.

Irrespective of one's personal beliefs on climate change those are the facts and if people don't want hurricanes to demolish everything on these islands 2 or 3 times per year now then they have to figure something out.

Man of Honour
Irrespective of one's personal beliefs on climate change those are the facts and if people don't want hurricanes to demolish everything on these islands 2 or 3 times per year now then they have to figure something out.

They just need to build a Winchester, so they have somewhere to have a nice cold pint and wait for it to all blow over.

Man of Honour
It's because of the temperature of the water. Around the Carribbean the water can be really warm like 26°C.

Just a small increase in that temperature by even 1°C is what can cause these tropical storms to become tremendous hurricanes.

I assume you mean in terms of building infrastructure and adjusting way of life?

Associate
I assume you mean in terms of building infrastructure and adjusting way of life?
Actually yes. Cutting greenhouse gasses will not reduce the temperature of the planet, that's not to say we should abandon all efforts to do so but that it is not going to have a significant impact on the environment.

In Europe we are going through our own "migration crisis" with unprecedented levels of immigration of people from the Middle East and North Africa fleeing war and searching for a better standard of life.

Are we prepared to accept that in the future there will be people migrating from island nations that are now unliveable?

Would the USA be willing to accept these "climate refugees" so to speak?

Are wealthy nations such as the USA who are now regularly hit with catastrophic weather events prepared to spend the amounts of money required to build properties capable of withstanding these hurricanes? Upgrades to transport systems, energy and access to clean water will need to be undertaken.

That's a massive amount of work that will require a massive amount of money. I don't believe that anyone really has the appetite for that. They will only really start to do it when the cost of not doing it becomes too expensive.

Permabanned
Yep, just like Irma, maria has intestfied rapidly much faster and stronger than predicted by the models. Tropical storm to Cat 5 in around 24hours

There also looks to be more potential for more big storms coming from the atlantic...

latest72hrs.gif

Look at how the hurricanes mix the ocean water and how powerful they are to influence even Gulf Stream, which means they directly influence the weather in Europe too.

Another point - it might be an expensive investment, but we necessarily should begin developing terraforming technologies in order to transform the vast deserts into livable habitats.

Man of Honour
Latest models show Maria heading up the east US coast not hitting land so retaining a lot of power then coming straight at us - obviously significantly reduced in power by that point - 50mph gale force winds and a lot of rain by the looks of it.

Permabanned
Man of Honour
The one next to Portugal is probably whats going to help pump some hot and humid air up to us for the weekend.

Dunno if it is related but where I live has some mental forecasts for thunderstorms over the coming Sunday with smaller but still significant levels for Saturday and Monday.

Soldato
Can't believe Hurricane season starts up again next week. Got a good smack from Irma last yr. I was in France at the time, and had to fly back early, as they were shutting down the airports. Wife was freaking out, saying i'm here with a hurricane due to make landfall, two kids, and you're in France.. Get yo ass back here NOW ! i did, and glad i did, cos the damn storm changed path and ripped up my home town ! literally making landfall up the road. All in all, apart from food / petrol shortages, downed trees, no leccy, it wasn't too bad.. Prob about 10k in damage across a couple of properties i own. Most of which i fixed up myself. Got pretty handy with a chainsaw too ! chopped up more downed trees than i care to remember, and nearly died when a hurricane shutter accidently swung off its hinge, while i was 24ft up a ladder taking them down.. Thank god for my neighbour keeping the ladder upright when it tilted with myself up there. Good times !

Soldato
Can't believe Hurricane season starts up again next week. Got a good smack from Irma last yr. I was in France at the time, and had to fly back early, as they were shutting down the airports. Wife was freaking out, saying i'm here with a hurricane due to make landfall, two kids, and you're in France.. Get yo ass back here NOW ! i did, and glad i did, cos the damn storm changed path and ripped up my home town ! literally making landfall up the road. All in all, apart from food / petrol shortages, downed trees, no leccy, it wasn't too bad.. Prob about 10k in damage across a couple of properties i own. Most of which i fixed up myself. Got pretty handy with a chainsaw too ! chopped up more downed trees than i care to remember, and nearly died when a hurricane shutter accidently swung off its hinge, while i was 24ft up a ladder taking them down.. Thank god for my neighbour keeping the ladder upright when it tilted with myself up there. Good times !

What part of the US?

I was in northern cuba and got hit full on by the eye :|

Didn't feel all that bad, lots of destruction but in general i imagined it to be worse.

Soldato
What part of the US?

I was in northern cuba and got hit full on by the eye :|

Didn't feel all that bad, lots of destruction but in general i imagined it to be worse.

Naples SW Florida. Yeah it could have been a LOT worse ! It really depends on the storm surge as to how much devastation will happen. They predicted a bad storm surge, but and i'm not really sure as to why it didn't happen, we didn't get the storm surge, even though the water was being sucked out of the bays a few hrs before landfall. Everyone was oh beep. But i am counting my lucky stars.. Anyway, once water comes onshore, everything is destroyed. Wind, you're going to be replacing roofs, landscaping, signs, power poles going down... but water will actually destroy everything. Much like a tsunami. There can be tornados in the hurricane too, they normally level a building or two. I saw a petrol station up the road, that looked like it went through the grinder !

Back
Top Bottom