Hurricane - Irma

Soldato
So deforestation doesn't matter?

The massive use of clean water for industrial scale farming?

And people are keen on fracking in this country too with the horrendous waste of water that it takes.
I don't deny there are some diabolical things happening around the world, i take issue with people saying all this is causing hurricanes around Florida, especially because this one was quite big we then get straight on the "GLOBAL WARMING" bandwagon and it is the west at fault.

Which is pretty much what i was replying to in that post, it is just an excuse for certain people on here to have a go at the west.

No wonder this forum has become *****.

Permabanned
I don't deny there are some diabolical things happening around the world, i take issue with people saying all this is causing hurricanes around Florida, especially because this one was quite big we then get straight on the "GLOBAL WARMING" bandwagon and it is the west at fault.

Which is pretty much what i was replying to in that post, it is just an excuse for certain people on here to have a go at the west.

No wonder this forum has become *****.

So, you hate the forum?
Actually, I must admit that forums.overclockers.co.uk is the best forum I have seen so far. There are discussions literally for everything here.

Everyone has the right to express their opinion. But the natural resources depletion isn't my invention, sorry.
Try Google for yourself, I'll help with a single quote, out of many there:

The world is heading for an "ecological credit crunch" far worse than the current financial crisis because humans are over-using the natural resources of the planet, an international study warns today.

The Living Planet report calculates that humans are using 30% more resources than the Earth can replenish each year, which is leading to deforestation, degraded soils, polluted air and water, and dramatic declines in numbers of fish and other species. As a result, we are running up an ecological debt of $4tr (£2.5tr) to $4.5tr every year - double the estimated losses made by the world's financial institutions as a result of the credit crisis - say the report's authors, led by the conservation group WWF, formerly the World Wildlife Fund. The figure is based on a UN report which calculated the economic value of services provided by ecosystems destroyed annually, such as diminished rainfall for crops or reduced flood protection.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/oct/29/climatechange-endangeredhabitats

Soldato
Anyone just watch BBC news, this British guy stuck in Cuba complaining about the airlines not sending over empty planes to take them home earlier. Yeah don't worry about all the people who have lost there lives and those who have lost there homes and livelihood's, while he relaxes in a nice well built secure hotel. What a ****!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone just watch BBC news, this British guy stuck in Cuba complaining about the airlines not sending over empty planes to take them home earlier. Yeah don't worry about all the people who have lost there lives and those who have lost there homes and livelihood's, while he relaxes in a nice well built secure hotel. What a ****!

Guy on my FB made a FB post on some airlines page, with a huge complaint about it. He's in Orlando and he's fine. He's put live videos up of him out playing with plastic aeroplanes in it.

Associate
The problem is that the tour operators are still offering package holidays to disaster struck locations. They haven't suspended operations and are doing very little in the way of offering refunds.

Whilst myself and my family were perfectly fine in Orlando in out nice safe holiday apartment we received just one phone call on the day of the hurricane from the holiday rep to ask if we were okay. All a bit pathetic considering we were already under curfew so would not have been able to go out for anything anyway.

The tour operators are happy to take your hard earned cash but will do the absolute bare minimum to help stranded tourists.

Whilst the hurricane led to my only really hardship being stuck in a room with 2 incredibly bored children I have definitely been disappointed with the efforts of my tour operator. We have basically had to wing it. Fortunately the hurricane did no real damage but had it done so then I do not know what I would have done or what I was supposed to do.

Holiday makers here have taken it upon themselves to go around the complex and introduce themselves and offer assistance wherever needed off their own backs at least showing the qualities of humanity.

As for criticism of holiday makers. What are we supposed to do. Go offer a bed to a local alcoholic homeless guy in our apartment with our 2 little girls into the other bedroom? Don't be ridiculous!

Soldato
Still alive and kicking.

Many downed branches and trees, we got lucky that the power didn't go out, many many other people's did. It went east which helped us a lot, some seriously strong wind though!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Let's build citys and live in hurricane zones....

Life goes on and life is cheap as chips. Ask the folk in India who have just lost more life due to bad weather. But it's ok for there lives to be uprooted as it doesn't matter at least according to press coverage.

Soldato

Life goes on and life is cheap as chips. Ask the folk in India who have just lost more life due to bad weather. But it's ok for there lives to be uprooted as it doesn't matter at least according to press coverage.

By that logic all of the south east of America, parts of Mexico, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Caribbean, is now un-inhabitable. Might as well apply that to earthquake zones as well, to that's all of California gone too. There must be 100 Million people in those areas.....

These storms are quite regular for the region but ones of this force are once in a decade and its a miracle only 32 people have died so far.

We are quite frankly lucky we live in a very predictable and boring climate that doesn't get extremes of any weather.

Man of Honour
Might as well apply that to earthquake zones as well, to that's all of California gone too

Iceland, large parts of New Zealand, the list goes on if you apply that widely.

It does irritate me though that people live in these areas where there is a moderate or higher chance of such events and make zero allowance or preparation for it and then worse kick off or moan (more than just a general grumble about it) when it does happen and they are inconvenienced or worse largely through their own lack of preparation or listening to advice.

Soldato
I would have thought that would be worse for the wind. It would make the property far easier to lift up and destroy. It's the wind that does all the damage not the water.

Saying that we do exactly that here how many homes are there built on flood plains these days....

Permabanned
The more fossil fuels we burn, the more disasters will strike on us back. The more forests we destroy, the worse it will get.

By that logic all of the south east of America, parts of Mexico, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Caribbean, is now un-inhabitable. Might as well apply that to earthquake zones as well, to that's all of California gone too. There must be 100 Million people in those areas.....

These storms are quite regular for the region but ones of this force are once in a decade and its a miracle only 32 people have died so far.

We are quite frankly lucky we live in a very predictable and boring climate that doesn't get extremes of any weather.

Iceland, large parts of New Zealand, the list goes on if you apply that widely.

It does irritate me though that people live in these areas where there is a moderate or higher chance of such events and make zero allowance or preparation for it and then worse kick off or moan (more than just a general grumble about it) when it does happen and they are inconvenienced or worse largely through their own lack of preparation or listening to advice.

I have always had this opinion that humans must choose where to live very carefully - avoiding rivers, seas, oceans, volcanos, zones with higher chance of earthquakes and tornados... etc, etc.
If, after all, people decide to live there, their homes and buildings should be built with exceptional quality and to be able to withstand everything.

Soldato
I would have thought that would be worse for the wind. It would make the property far easier to lift up and destroy. It's the wind that does all the damage not the water.

Saying that we do exactly that here how many homes are there built on flood plains these days....

I did think about that, but a lot of their houses are already on legs anyway, but really low to the ground but it's all blocked anyway, so the wind wouldn't be able to get though unless there is an opening.

That said, if it wasn't, they could easy get some plyboard or sand to cover the sides.

Man of Honour
I have always had this opinion that humans must choose where to live very carefully - avoiding rivers, seas, oceans, volcanos, zones with higher chance of earthquakes and tornados... etc, etc.
If, after all, people decide to live there, their homes and buildings should be built with exceptional quality and to be able to withstand everything.

I am a human and have a river at the end of my garden. Am I doing it wrong?

Back
Top Bottom