Hurricane - Irma

Permabanned
I am a human and have a river at the end of my garden. Am I doing it wrong?

Depends on how big that river is. So, how big is it? Also, do floodings happen regularly or you are in a relatively dry area?
Actually, if you are in a dry area and a severe downpour happens, it is even more dangerous. Is the river getting a lot of water in spring time when snows melts?

Soldato
even outside of hurricane season the weather on those holiday islands always seems cloudy, whenever I see youtube clips there is always clouds in the sky, never pure blue like we get in the UK.

Associate
Well I'm sat in Sanford Airport waiting for my flight and have just found out that Thomson have sent a smaller plane as they can't be bothered sending a Dreamliner out.

Anyone who has paid for upgrades has lost them.

Speaking to other people here this is par for the course from Thomson's. They are taking advantage of the hurricane to short change their customers. Apparently it's not the first time some of these people have paid for upgrades with Thomson only to have them altered for the return flight.

Soldato
even outside of hurricane season the weather on those holiday islands always seems cloudy, whenever I see youtube clips there is always clouds in the sky, never pure blue like we get in the UK.

That's because its the tropics, which means the rainy season is 1st June - 1st Oct. Outside of those 4 months, the weather is near perfect ! During those months is very hot and humid, and storms are like clockwork every afternoon. I'm still quite surprised that most people in England don't quite get it, and come on holiday/vacation to the tropics during those 4months ???? There's a chance you'll encounter a tropical depression during your vacation, which means rain all day. If you're real unlucky you'll get a free hurricane thrown into the package ! My recommendation is Nov - March for the absolute best experience.

Caporegime
Storm Maria is on it's way into the Caribbean following a similar path to Irma and looks like it'll strengthen into a hurricane by the time it reaches there.

Soldato
I was in Cuba Cayo Guillermo from the 26th August and was due to go home on the 9th of September..

I booked during hurricane season under no illusion that we could be hit, although a Category 4-5 was just not possible, and so we thought for the area.. I spoke to Cubans aged 40+ that had never seen a cat 4, let alone a 5.

We where evacuated to Varadero shortly before the hurricane hit which was a lovely 8 hour couch journey

(I was on the second coach)
wire-1302459-1504953053-87_634x422.jpg

The hotel we where staying in was the Melia Cayo Gulliermo, which had now been mostly destroyed as it was hit by the full force of the category 5 hurricane, the hotel in which we had been evacuated too, was only hit by a category 3.

The primary reason for evacuation other than the danger of the high winds and flooding was the loss of a crucial causeway connecting the keyes to the mainland, after the hurricane it had been destroyed thus making evacuation post hurricane impossible.. Along with a lack of food and water.

This is the airport we flew in to pre-Irma
b00e4127-e5b7-481f-b106-f5d8f846aabb.jpg

And this is post-Irma
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

All in all i enjoyed the hurricane, although i didn't enjoy the irrational response by the other British people crying and wailing and near on attacking our rep, even though he was evacuated also.. leaving his family in the path of the cat5..

Here are a few pictures i took of what the cat3 did..

20170910_122537.jpg
20170910_123741.jpg

I had a good 13 days in Cuba prior to the hurricane and it was amazing.. Just glad to be home now. Luckily thomas cook are giving us a refund for the entire holiday!

Soldato
That's because its the tropics, which means the rainy season is 1st June - 1st Oct. Outside of those 4 months, the weather is near perfect ! During those months is very hot and humid, and storms are like clockwork every afternoon. I'm still quite surprised that most people in England don't quite get it, and come on holiday/vacation to the tropics during those 4months ???? There's a chance you'll encounter a tropical depression during your vacation, which means rain all day. If you're real unlucky you'll get a free hurricane thrown into the package ! My recommendation is Nov - March for the absolute best experience.

Hurricane season is fine, no one could predict a category 5 hurricane.. Rain is actually very refreshing when it comes.

Soldato
Did you see much of an official response helping locals there? Haven't heard much about how it's affected Cuba as most of the news has covered the British / Caribbean islands

Hardly any response unfortunately, thousands had no power food or water. We ended up leaving a £100+ tip for our rep, his home town had been destroyed.

Soldato
This latest hurricane has just been upgraded to a category 5! Due to hit a bunch of islands very soon, pretty concerned if those things become more and more frequent
Yep, just like Irma, maria has intestfied rapidly much faster and stronger than predicted by the models. Tropical storm to Cat 5 in around 24hours

There also looks to be more potential for more big storms coming from the atlantic...

latest72hrs.gif

Man of Honour
Yeah looks like from the models it will turn right fairly early and miss most of the islands and US mainland - but looks like its only going to get more severe if it did hit land proper like that it would be very nasty.

Back
Top Bottom