** HYPER X CLOUD **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
"Kingston HyperX Cloud is a rebranded QPAD-H90 with only 2 minor differences; Kingston includes additional pair of velour (suede-like) earcups & an aeroplane jack adapter. Addition to these, you will find HYPERX cheaper than H90. Even if you’re not really excited in the idea of a rebranded gaming headset, bear in mind that QPAD uses Beyerdynamic technology so quality will be top notch for this price tag"

Fouind this else where can you confirm RJ?

yes, it is 100%

we are not listing QPAD any more but will be continuing with this.

Soldato
Soldato
I hope you'll categorise this as 'valuable consumer feedback' and not 'being a party-pooper' but none of those headsets is wireless. And for me, that's an instant No. Wired means another cable to get tangled. Wired means having to think about which way I swing the chair. Wired means broken microphone sockets. Wired means I have to take off the headset when I move away from the PC. Nope, I'm done with wired.

+1 Couldn't live with wired now - however these headsets look decent

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
70 quid for a hifi set of head phones? no 5.1 or 7.1 and this is pro gaming?
Having sneeked a try before we send our the sample, I can say that the clarity of these is excellent.

Ever wonder why many gamers recommend £200+ HiFi headphones? Gaming headphones are often "muddy" in comparison.

Last edited:
Associate
Having sneeked a try before we send our the sample, I can say that the clarity of these is excellent.

Ever wonder why many gamers recommend £200+ HiFi headphones? Gaming headphones are often "muddy" in comparison.

Not really I always ask here as I have zero knowledge, so if its crap I can blame you guys lol

When is stock likely to hit I need a new headset asap as I broke my ones today lol

Soldato
stereo is better for positional audio than surround sound ime

I find the 5.1's I have (Roccat Kave) incredible positional audio in BF4 and Titanfall (all I play), I changed from some Sennheiser HD25's so my stereo phones were not rubbish it's purely the 5.1.

Some maps/gametypes (quieter ones) they're like having a wallhack! :D

Soldato
Forum user Ryanr1987 has taken time to review them for us in sound city.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18612417

I'll post the review here too but should check out his thread to see the headphones he's comparing these to.

Kingston HyperX Cloud £60-70
Efficiency - Needs an amp to get the best performance.
Cloud-Redcup_headset-side-620x776.jpg

Review
Firstly I just want to thank TwsT & The guys for reaching out to me to add these to the guide. I promised you a fair review and after literally keeping them on my head since the day I got them and trying them with literally everything I own and using them for every application I've given these a crash course and understand this headphone to the core!
Here it is!

This headphone is a re-badged headphone that has had a couple of different names. I'm not going to go into that because there could have been changes or anything else and since I have not heard the previous phones, it wouldn't be fair. Kingston have put a lot of work into the look and with a really amazing amount of accessories for such a low price.
The Box was really a pleasure to open and I've not seen anything as well packed as this under £200. I was really shocked to find

1 x Headset
1x Airplane Plug
1x Extension Cable
1x Velour Ear Cushion
1x Volume Control Box
This is designed to be a gaming headset but it's versatile and can be used as a portable headphone, home headphone, headset.

Build & Comfort

The build on this headphone is impressive for the price. The cups have a rubberized texture with aluminium plates with the Hyper X branding in red. The arms are similar to what you will find on the Beyer DT series. They are really similar but have a more oval shape to the cups. The Headband is probably the weakest part. If you look after them I don't think you'd have issues and I'm not too concerned but it's just the material inside feels quite cheap in comparison to the rest o the phones. But for goodness sake these are only £60-£70 so it's not even worth bringing it up really but it wouldn't be a review if I didn't criticize things.
The cable is non detachable but feels really good. It's sheathed and is terminated in to 3.5mm jacks one for the mic and one for audio. The build overall is pretty crazy for a budget headphone/headset! Honestly I've owned a lot of headphones and I've had £300-£400 headphones that feel like an absolute joke but these are impressive! I'm not sure how they will do in years time but in my experience headphones with this type of build do really well.

Comfort wise these are very comfortable, they hug your head but on't clamp too hard! I found that I had to extend the headband all the way down. I recommend the velour pads right away because the pleather cause your ears to get hot and sweaty so the breezy velours are the way!

Sound
Since I was informed of this headphone I was so curious about the sound! they have been given great reviews and at a low price have been compared to headphones costing more. Usually in my experience this is all hype so I always get myself to not give myself massive expectations. I've heard headphones from the 5p crappy things that come with MP3 plays all the way up the £30,000-100,000(Depending on who is selling) so after having all this experience I have learned to have an open mind and trust my own ears.

When I first fired this up I noticed that the headphone had a familiar sound. They sounded like they had a U shaped response but the treble was more dominant and had a extended but piercing thin sound at the top. I didn't notice any mid recession at all but the mids where the least prominent it the sound. The headphone had a clean and kind of airy sound to it that reminded me of the Denon D600. After 30mins I decided to hit treble reducer on my ipod and hooked up my portable Fiio E11. That was more like it! the sound then reminded me of the DT770 with a more balanced sound with a nice bass response.

I found myself tapping my feet and enjoying the sound I was getting out of the KC. I decided to take the treble reducer off after about 6 hours use I notice the sound becoming too dark and rolled off. This was a sign that the treble has settled down so flicked my EQ to off and decided to hear these naturally.
Brilliant, treble has calmed down with less harshness. The still can sound a bit bright but they don't sound too strident. The treble has nice air and extension with good detail. The Bass is nice with nice energy making these good with music that has a good amount of bass. The bass is a little unrefined and lacks texture in comparison to some more high end phones but in it's price range I think it's up the top.

The mids have less body and are more in the background making some instruments and other sounds in the mids sound a bit distant. This isn't really a bad thing, it is just it's signature and has it's benefits. They had a slight metallic sound to them but we are talking really slight! it soon went away though with the peaky highs that were first present.
The sound I would describe as neither warm nor cold but in-between and depending on the track can become either, think D600 or DT990. The soundstage on this headset is decent I think, it's neither intimate nor too distant but it does sound a bit restricted because, well..they are closed! They are not as wide as the DT770 but they sound more distant than the CAL, M50 and similar to the HM5.

The soundstage doesn't sound as defined as say the DT770. The image on these is ok. They don't image as good as some of the goo midfi headphones but they certainly compete in entry level hifi.
Just a quick note, these leak sound, a lot! they almost leak like a semi open headphone at higher volumes compared to my other closed backs. At medium volumes it's still audible but less dramatic. These make good portables because they don't isolate that great but on the other hand music needs to be turned down due to leaking because, when you are listening to Miley Cyrus or anything else embarrassing at higher volumes people will hear it will ripping you.

One thing I wanted to add is, while these are efficient, they sound a bit sloppy without an amp and also the bass doesn't show it's face so I think they need some power thrown at them to get the tightness and impact. They will run from anything but don't expect them to show you their potential out of a portable player on it's own; they sounded typically like a headphone that wants to be fed power out of my ipod just everything was lacking excitement in comparison.

They also can handle power better than say the DT770 which will distort with too much power and at high volumes easy. If you don't have an amp that's fine, these will still sound decent but something as little as the Fiio E5 for £15 will be enough.

Competitive Gaming
Well this is the main purpose! to destroy your enemies and look and be awesome(Check out the Gif in the HyperX cloud advertisement thread) These did what I needed them to do. I found that finding footsteps was easy enough using my Mixamp. The staging in dolby headphone was an improvement and I found myself getting close to as many kills as I was with my K712 pro. Now don't misunderstand me, the K712 is a beast and images much better than these with it's godlike clarity! but these are still pretty good and work well for a closed back headphone. These sound clean, crisp with a fair amount of separation so positional ques are pretty decent.

I think for under £100 these are a great headphone to consider for gamers who want a closed back headphone for night time gaming.

Fun Gaming

The sound signature of the KC makes these pretty fun for gaming. The bass impact makes explosions give off a nice deep rumble, they do lack a bit of texture but like I said look at the price! The virtual space will have a good amount of detail and separation but I found that I was missing my open phones for full immersion. Still, these are decent and for under £100 I couldn't help but be impressed.

I really love the detachable mic here! I found myself just unplugging my Mixamp and plugging them straight into my PS4 headphone jack on the pad and enjoying a good chat! While playing UFC I found these an absolute must because they are comfy for long sessions! more comfortable in the long run than my AKGs. I also enjoy winding people up! when I'm punching someone in the face on UFC, it's only right that you rub it in! ;P
Overall these are a great all rounder for gaming that is sealed and at a reasonable price.

How it stacks up to others

Vs DT770

Similar sound but the 770 is lusher and more musical sounding. It has a wider soundstage and better imaging ability. Everything on the 770 is the next step up the ladder BUT the Cloud holds it's own and puts up a fight! at £70 I would easily recommend the Cloud over the 770 because of it's versatility and accessories and good sound on a budget. I find the Cloud can sound more detailed at times due to the DT770's more fleshed out warmer sound.

Vs CAL

The CAL is warmer, bit more lusher sounding. They also sound less refined, tight and detailed than the KC. Also the build quality of the KC is far beyond the pathetic CAL! They look better and have much more accessories and looking at the box Kingston have put in so much effort where Creative have not. The KC has a cleaner more ideal sound to my ears and at only £10 more, you get so much more.

Vs D600

Really similar sounding too each other. The Denons have a slightly more refined sound but I actually prefer the image on the KC over the D600. The D600 are a little more impact in the bass and a bit more detailed in areas but we are talking hardly noticeable differences IMO. The KC is a better all round buy I think which is saying a lot considering the D600 is good headphone at £150

I preferred them to the

M50
Aviator
Shure SRH440
CAL

also these are far better value over the MMX300 and Sennheisers headset range by far.

Ratings

Build
8.5/10 Very Good
Solid, good materials that rival headphones twice it's price! While it's long term durability is not tested, it's certainly not being questioned right now.
Music
7.8 Good
I really enjoyed the fun, lively sound. These may not be the most refined and transparent but I really like how they performed for music.
Competitive Gaming
7.5 Good
Did what I wanted them to do so not really many complaints. I would obviously want a bigger stage with a sharper image but again £70!!
Fun Gaming
7.4 Good
Good low end and detail for the price, could do with more space personally, but the closed up restrict cups prevent that. Still, as far as closed backs go, these are pretty good.

Final Score
7.8 Good
For the price, the accessories and decent sound make this one of the best bargains right now. I will be using the KC for late night gaming sessions for years to come because they suit my needs. They may not have the DT770s imaging or the K712s world class all-round ability but I can't stress this is a £70 headset and a damn good one!

Associate
anyone know how exactly these work with a PS4?

I need to get a headset for PS4 for Destiny by 09/09/14..!

Don't actually have a PS4 yet, but I remember the PS3 being a pain in the ass to get a headset + microphone working on, had to buy a seperate headset specifically for the PS3 :-\

Soldato
I remember seeing the QPad H90's and thinking they looked pretty good, and comfortable! but I recall the price being quite high so I ended up buying Corsair 1300.

When I need a new pair of headphones I'll give them another look though. Are the ear pads replaceable? on my Corsair 1300's they are. Very handy when it comes time to clean them.

Back
Top Bottom