Hyundai i30N

Soldato
Not really, sit in any recent Korean car and you'll find out that it is screwed together just as good as Japanese or German cars. Super premium hatches will have better materials(a45 for e.g.). But even recent BMW's suck interior wise. Audi is the one that seems to do well even on the lower end.

Unless you start taking off panels and actually working on it, it's hard to tell just by looking. With cheap panels the clips etc break off really easy. They also scuff easier.

Don
I have a Tucson, the interior is pretty bland and full of plastic but the build quality doesn't stand out as being particularly bad. A guy who works for me has a Merc GLA200 and I think the interior of that is just as basic and that cost a fair whack more.

Soldato
That's a nice car.

If I was in the market for a new hot hath I would probably go for one of it was possible to up it's power to 300bhp.

But I'm not.. so nvm.

Soldato
OP
You're talking poop as per the usual with 0% experience.[/QUOTE]

NO i've been in all of them actually ! the Type R and WRX STI is better inside. i had a Hyundai 2.0 coupe but that was ok inside, but this i30N from the pictures is very similar to the normal i30, about the same as a Jazz.............cheap looking inside.

this doesn't mean that the car isn't worth considering, because the plastic is very durable and cleans up a treat

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why did Hyundai scrap the more recent Coupe? It seemed to sell reasonably well and the last gen was a decent looking sporty coupe it's just the crap slow engines let them down. More people would have been interested in a new Coupe with that 2.0T in and 250bhp. The market needs a 3 door sporty car for 25k ish as everyone is sick of all the new hot hatches only coming with 5 doors they just look the same as the tarted up diesel variants apart from the twin exhausts
the 2.0 SE Coupe wasn't really powerful enough and neither was the later v6 version, after this they abandoned sports cars and concentrated on cheap mass produced family runabouts etc etc........... they even said to me 2 days ago ``we dont know much about this new N range and to be honest they're a waste of time around here, because all our customers are over 70 years old and all they want is something slow and reliable``...........says it all doesn't it ! but at least Hyundai have got the reliability bit right.

Last edited:
Soldato
they even said to me 2 days ago ``we dont know much about this new N range and to be honest they're a waste of time around here, because all our customers are over 70 years old and all they want is something slow and reliable``...........says it all doesn't it ! but at least Hyundai have got the reliability bit right.
lol it's not looking promising for the i30N if the dealerships are saying that to customers enquiring about it.
I really liked the Veloster they done aswell it was a cool sporty looking car that was let down by naff engine choices that would have been a great choice for a hot hatch. Looks like they stopped making that after 2 years according to google.

Soldato
the 2.0 SE Coupe wasn't really powerful enough and neither was the later v6 version, after this they abandoned sports cars and concentrated on cheap mass produced family runabouts etc etc........... they even said to me 2 days ago ``we dont know much about this new N range and to be honest they're a waste of time around here, because all our customers are over 70 years old and all they want is something slow and reliable``...........says it all doesn't it ! but at least Hyundai have got the reliability bit right.

They probably want to shed that image and start again.

The coupe wasn't a good car, it looked like a sports car but it was a long way from being one. It was slow, heavy, wrong wheel drive, handing wasn't great and the v6 was comically underpowered. They can't have that sitting next to this hot hatch because it's just not up to par.

Soldato
OP
lol it's not looking promising for the i30N if the dealerships are saying that to customers enquiring about it.
I really liked the Veloster they done aswell it was a cool sporty looking car that was let down by naff engine choices that would have been a great choice for a hot hatch. Looks like they stopped making that after 2 years according to google.
this is the New Forest, the salesman down here aren't exactly fired up........... most of them are Yawning and scratching their heads when you walk in, the Hyundai dealership is pretty dead...........the New Forest is a great place to live but it's very quiet and unsophisticated, esp around Pennington.

Soldato
OP
They probably want to shed that image and start again.

The coupe wasn't a good car, it looked like a sports car but it was a long way from being one. It was slow, heavy, wrong wheel drive, handing wasn't great and the v6 was comically underpowered. They can't have that sitting next to this hot hatch because it's just not up to par.

i raced a Mitsubishi FTO ? it blew me away very easily, i think mine was 0-60 in something like 8.7.... so yes pretty slow. (mine had 4 headlights and cost 18k new) the next model was the 2.7 v6 ???? well that only had about 160hp and the same speed as mine........ some time after this Hyundai gave up................. this i30N hasn't been designed by Hyundai but an ex- BMW racing guy or something like that...

this i30N is also slower than the others, but from what i've read so far, drives as well............ it's a shame they didn't modify their i30n concept rally car by just taming it down slightly, because that looks wicked............. i really love the look of that monster
https://indianautosblog.com/2016/10/hyundai-i30n-czech-republic-243923

FTM

FTM

Soldato
all the reviews I have seen and watched are saying what a great drive it is

would prefer to see it in a different colour than that light blue though!!

seems you can tweak everything as well.

Soldato
OP
that chalk blue is a horrid colour...........yea it'll be a great drive, i've not seen a dodgy review at all.
the only thing that puts me off is it's very bland with no personality, i prefer the WRX STI easily.

the i20N is more interesting, because the normal i20 is by far the best looking of the bunch........God i see these cars all day long, it's such an annoying car to be behind, they will not go over 25mph in a 40 zone, every ****** driver is the same that owns a Hyundai..............80+ years old, semi- dementia and living in a New Milton Bungalow :D:D:D

Last edited:
Associate
i raced a Mitsubishi FTO ? it blew me away very easily, i think mine was 0-60 in something like 8.7.... so yes pretty slow. (mine had 4 headlights and cost 18k new) the next model was the 2.7 v6 ???? well that only had about 160hp and the same speed as mine........ some time after this Hyundai gave up................. this i30N hasn't been designed by Hyundai but an ex- BMW racing guy or something like that...

this i30N is also slower than the others, but from what i've read so far, drives as well............ it's a shame they didn't modify their i30n concept rally car by just taming it down slightly, because that looks wicked............. i really love the look of that monster
https://indianautosblog.com/2016/10/hyundai-i30n-czech-republic-243923
197v140 bhp not really surprising
I remember seeing a poster in the hyundai dealers about 10 yrs ago, v8 powered 4 litre I think for the yanks, but nothing materialized..at least not in the uk.

Soldato
What else can you buy new with similar performance for a lot less money? (talking list price, for apples to apples comparison)

I just said you would have to be nuts to buy one new, because it will depreciate like crazy compared to the competition (the Focus RS will probably never drop below 25k).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
be careful, the 25k is for the slower version and not the one in the vids, the faster one is 28k ;)
depreciation ? well i suppose it depends how good it ACTUALLY is !
the i30N has Hyundai in house manufactured brakes and seats, so you'll get no Brembos or Recaro etc, but from the reviews nobody is complaining....
it's a damned good car SO FAR, but the trouble is it looks too much like all the other run of the mill hatchbacks, i prefer something that looks like an old school Evo

Caporegime
Not really, sit in any recent Korean car and you'll find out that it is screwed together just as good as Japanese or German cars. Super premium hatches will have better materials(a45 for e.g.). But even recent BMW's suck interior wise. Audi is the one that seems to do well even on the lower end.

Agreed. It’s surprising just how little difference there seems to be between the likes of Hyundai, Honda and BMW etc in the interior front now (at least on the surface). The only difference being BMW and Merc are still using tacky shiny plastics and wood, but then I guess that’s what well off retirees want (and why so many of the interiors in the BMWs look like they’re from a 90s VW, with added wood and touch screens).

Hyundai have come a long way in the last few years.

Average age of a BMW owner is around 55, so not that dissimilar an age market.;)

Back
Top Bottom