• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I actually had a faulty Ryzen 1700x I think? 50 to 60c idle temp.

Associate
I think its normal with the X? I have 110I but changed the fans to Noctua NF-A14 3000. If you have on auto it will go up and down all the time from 3.4 - 3.8GHz -+ Volts. Mine 1800X have same temp idle 53-60, clocks goes from 3.6-4.1 on 2 cores. When I do nothing. Have ca 60-65C when I game. But have seen someone says the new beta bios for CH6 shows 15+ degrees too much. There is no warm flow from the radiator soo something is up :p And 1700 have - 15-20C just beacuse its a none X.

Associate
Wouldn't mind someone confirming this also as my 1800x idles around 55-58c depending on room temp @1.4 volts and 4ghz OC

Soldato
That does sound a little high but what are you using to monitor temp? Ryzen master tool and hwmonitor both report different readings for me.
I only have stock cooler at the moment and at 1.3v Ryzen master reports 45-50 and hwmonitor reports 44.

Associate
thats another odd thing. Only Ai suite is picking up that temp. HW Mon shows me no temp readings nor does Ryzen master :(

Caporegime
Have you mounted a modern Corsair watercooling unit before? Has this one been used by you before?

I've had issues with them in the past where they feel like they are installed tightly, but the plate isn't pressing against the CPU firmly enough. If you apply pressure firmly to the waterblock, does it decrease the temperatures?

Soldato
My X1800 on a MSI B350 Tomahawk hits ~60C in the BIOS. I updated the BIOS to 1.14(found link to it in the Ryzen owners thread) and it dropped a bit. In Windows with AMD Ryzen Master running its 45C and it's cold in this room. I am using a Freezer 13 cooler as I need a AM4 bracket for my h100i.

Soldato
My X1800 on a MSI B350 Tomahawk hits ~60C in the BIOS. I updated the BIOS to 1.14(found link to it in the Ryzen owners thread) and it dropped a bit. In Windows with AMD Ryzen Master running its 45C and it's cold in this room. I am using a Freezer 13 cooler as I need a AM4 bracket for my h100i.
Im Using the the same cooler and at 1.18v 3.6ghz I'm idling at 35-40c and max load realbench 60-63c, what is your overclock and volts?

Soldato
Im Using the the same cooler and at 1.18v 3.6ghz I'm idling at 35-40c and max load realbench 60-63c, what is your overclock and volts?
It's at stock, have not changed anything. Using Ryzen Master to check the temp, it's 46C @ idle but it shoots up fast if used and hit 75C on Cinebench.

Soldato
Well I have just had a Noctua NH-U12S arrive and now my chip doesn't break 55c realbench load and that's with the fan on low, moral of the story crap cooler crap temps

Soldato
Just to add to this thread MSI B350 Tomahawk massively exaggerates idle temperature in the BIOS for me.

I haven't been able to figure out why. I'm guessing the motherboard sensor is poorpy calibrated.

Temps are a lot cooler in Windows and only reach BIOS reported temps of 60C under heavy load, 70C when overclocked.

Soldato
I have a Crosshair VI and the latest BIOS 0902 has resulted in nothing being able to report a vaguely accurate temperature. Ryzen Master, for instance, is saying my CPU is at 15 degrees with the stock cooler.
Im starting to wonder this as well or how well the IHS is solderd to the chip because when I'm stress testing ryzen master it's telling me my chip is at 60c but the heat pipes on my noctura are very cool to the touch

Associate
OP
Just to add to this thread MSI B350 Tomahawk massively exaggerates idle temperature in the BIOS for me.

I haven't been able to figure out why. I'm guessing the motherboard sensor is poorpy calibrated.

Temps are a lot cooler in Windows and only reach BIOS reported temps of 60C under heavy load, 70C when overclocked.

My temps were the same in the bios and in Windows. Both stupidly high at stock speeds with voltage set to Auto.

Soldato
Good to hear that you got your refund, you might have read it elsewhere but 1700X and 1800X temp reporting will be 20C higher than 1700 as said by AMD. For this reason you need to -20c from the reported temp until software can be updated to reflect this change.

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X and 1800X carry a +20°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X can simply subtract 20°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor. No arithmetic is required for the Ryzen 7 1700. Long term, we expect temperature monitoring software to better understand our tCTL offsets to report the junction temperature automatically.

Soldato
Awkward since you'll now need another cpu which will say exactly the same temps due to how AMD implemented temp reporting.

The guys talking about low temps and good coolers are running 1700 which does not have the +20 on the temp reporting.

The OP on the other hand had a 1700X which along with the 1800X will always say it's +20 over the real temp.

Associate
OP
Good to hear that you got your refund, you might have read it elsewhere but 1700X and 1800X temp reporting will be 20C higher than 1700 as said by AMD. For this reason you need to -20c from the reported temp until software can be updated to reflect this change.

Yep I did read that! It would have been useful if they told everyone this before. It was also their own app I was running, you'd think that would know!

It also fooled the retailer evidently as they said it was faulty too. Maybe it was. Guess we'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom