I Am Greta

Soldato
OP
It's her Dad who is the pawn, I feel so sorry for him and she's definitely not a puppet.
Great documentary and shows autism in action.

Knowing all the autistic kids I've worked with in the past, knowing many parents of autistic kids and my wife working with autistic kids, my belief is none of them are being pushed or pulled, you play to their tune and hope something gets through.

Well said. Yes, I've taught autistic kids too and I agree with you.

Man of Honour
Also, for someone who is irrelevant to you, you seem very hung up on other peoples views of her :D

Just passing time while I wait at work for this 74gb to transfer from one server to another...passes the time you know :D

(also technically it was a question of whether someones statement of fact was really a fact, rather than their view of her, I've no problem with anyone having any sort of a view of anyone, as long as they dont portray that view as fact, when its actually a view :p )

Associate
I feel sorry for her. Shes still a child and she is being pushed and pulled every which way and fighting a battle that she shouldn't be at her age.

If you ignore whether you like her or not, what she is doing is commendable. The envirnoment is ****** already and unless we start reversing the damage we have done it could be irreparable.

Its scary to think that in under 100 years we have pushed the world to the brink of disaster and we are still expanding and growing. I welcome anyone genuinely fighting to change that regardless of age or how obnoxious you may find them.

One person isn't going to change the damage billions are causing. It's pointless, it's in our nature to destroy ourselves and our surroundings.

Soldato
OP
For one, its a documentary, documentaries by their very nature are edited and filmed to present a specific message. Unless the documentary is 24/7 live, unedited.
For two, I quite literally just said "based upon what you have seen of her in the media and read in articles" and you just mention yet another piece of media.
And for three...whether I "think" she is a puppet or not, is utterly irrelevant. I cannot know that she is or isnt because I do not know her in reality, only what is portrayed or allowed to be portrayed in media and that was exactly my point, you stated quite assuredly that "She's not being pushed and pulled like a media puppet, she's doing this of her own free will." , my whole point was that you cannot know that. What impression you form because of a documentary is not fact, its an impression.

Your adjusted sentence that you "do not believe she is", is much more accurate but thats all it is, a belief.

I'll not be watching the documentary though anyway because she is irrelevant to me, I'm just not interested in her enough to bother sitting and watching a documentary about her, as I say, she's just another human not a new messiah.

The other piece of media I mentioned is this fly on the wall behind the scenes documentary where one can get a far better perspective of her than just the headline grabbing pieces. You don't care about her. I get that. I don't particularly care about her either believe it or not. But I really admire people who are do'ers and not just talkers, and even more so when they're just a child. Imo, you and Meddling-Monk need to watch the documentary before making such negative judgements, and if you still think that she's being manipulated and not doing this all of her own volition, then fair enough.

Man of Honour
The other piece of media I mentioned is this fly on the wall behind the scenes documentary where one can get a far better perspective of her than just the headline grabbing pieces. You don't care about her. I get that. I don't particularly care about her either believe it or not. But I really admire people who are do'ers and not just talkers, and even more so when they're just a child. Imo, you and Meddling-Monk need to watch the documentary before making such negative judgements, and if you still think that she's being manipulated and not doing this all of her own volition, then fair enough.

But thats the thing isnt it, I havent made a negative judgement. If I have, you'll have to show me, because I dont think I've stated anywhere that I think she is being manipulated.

Caporegime
Just passing time while I wait at work for this 74gb to transfer from one server to another...passes the time you know :D

(also technically it was a question of whether someones statement of fact was really a fact, rather than their view of her, I've no problem with anyone having any sort of a view of anyone, as long as they dont portray that view as fact, when its actually a view :p )

I think it's simply a case of taking words and how different people communicate through forums a little too literally. I could comb through loads of posts on here including some of your own and take them as a statement of fact but it's just being pedantic.

Man of Honour
I think it's simply a case of taking words a little too literally. I could comb through loads of posts on here including some of your own and take them as statement of facts but it's just being pedantic.

Thats entirely possible and probably quite likely, I am an exceptionally literal person, people who know me have often said it. I do my best (and dont always succeed) to be extra careful with my words and be sure that what I am saying is exactly what I mean. Its difficult as its very easy to slip into hyperbole and vagueness but I do try to be exact in what I write and say in life.

( and yes, I have often been called a pedant :D )

fez

fez

Caporegime
One person isn't going to change the damage billions are causing. It's pointless, it's in our nature to destroy ourselves and our surroundings.

The truth is that the core polluters are not the billions, they are the thousands that dictate how countries regulate companies and individuals. If environmentally insane behaviour was made illegal in all the largest GDP countries tomorrow we would be able to solve climate change realtively quickly.

The reason the governments want to push the responsibility onto the individual is because big business owns government and the last thing they want is tighter regulation over how they produce their products or what they do with the waste.

Individuals have little control or knowledge over the vast majority of the damage being done to the environment. We can all do our part but its like ******* into the ocean. Profits for companies will always come before anything else unless they are forced to change. The only way they will change is when their profits are hit by their behaviour. Almost no billion dollar company gives a **** about the enviroment. They can't or they wouldn't be a billion dollar company.

Soldato
OP
But thats the thing isnt it, I havent made a negative judgement. If I have, you'll have to show me, because I dont think I've stated anywhere that I think she is being manipulated.

I'm with Malevolence on this one, I find her no more extraordinary or remarkable than I find Kermit the magical talking frog.

No you haven't said she's being manipulated in so many words, but you've been suggesting it's likely because of the nature of documentaries and media in general. Whilst I agree with you that media tends to do this, and whilst I agree that no-one knows 100% about if she's being pushed and pulled, I still feel you should watch this documentary to make a better informed and educated opinion.

I think you have made a fairly negative judgement overall, as most people in this thread have. To say she's ordinary is extraordinary! :p The pope wanted to meet her. Arnie wanted to meet. Everyone in the world wanted to meet her. I'm sorry, you don't get those kind of things happening to you by being unremarkable.

Man of Honour
No you haven't said she's being manipulated in so many words, but you've been suggesting it's likely because of the nature of documentaries and media in general. Whilst I agree with you that media tends to do this, and whilst I agree that no-one knows 100% about if she's being pushed and pulled, I still feel you should watch this documentary to make a better informed and educated opinion.

I think you have made a fairly negative judgement overall, as most people in this thread have. To say she's ordinary is extraordinary! :p The pope wanted to meet her. Arnie wanted to meet. Everyone in the world wanted to meet her. I'm sorry, you don't get those kind of things happening to you by being unremarkable.

Think you've made a jump there, not only have I not said shes being manipulated in so many words, I havent said it in any words. I've not even suggested its likely because of the nature of documentaries, what I have said is that you cannot use media or documentaries as fact of anything (including presence or absence of manipulation). I also dont think I have made a fairly negative judgement overall because I dont think I've actually made any judgement, positive or negative against her, just that I consider her to be no different to people I might encounter daily given that I dont truly know her and dont truly know the people I have encountered on any given day, which I still maintain is true. For example, to continue my aforementioned pedantic side..."Everyone in the world wanted to meet her" , well no...factually speaking, they didnt. Not everyone, not everyone in the world even knows who she is :)

Soldato
just that I consider her to be no different to people I might encounter daily given that I dont truly know her and dont truly know the people I have encountered on any given day, which I still maintain is true
On the flipside, if the people you 'encountered daily' spoke at the UN aged 15 and gained all this publicity for their actions you'd probably know who they were. So you're entirely wrong by saying she's no different from anyone else. Why does it bother you so much that she's unique?

To counter your second point.. by saying that she's ordinary you are passing a negative judgment against her. Because she's quite clearly not.

Man of Honour
On the flipside, if the people you 'encountered daily' spoke at the UN aged 15 and gained all this publicity for their actions you'd probably know who they were. So you're entirely wrong by saying she's no different from anyone else. Why does it bother you so much that she's unique?

To counter your second point.. by saying that she's ordinary you are passing a negative judgment against her. Because she's quite clearly not.

There's nothing negative about being ordinary imo, nothing negative about it at all. I dont see being ordinary as a negative.

I'm not bothered that she's unique...no idea where you have gotten that from, every person on the planet is unique, even twins and triplets etc. However I was wrong to use such a simplistic turn of phrase as "no different", what I really meant was that she is no more/better or less/worse a human than anyone else I may encounter, to me she is simply another human. To paraphrase your question to me about uniqueness, why does it bother you so much that I dont think she is amazing?

Back
Top Bottom