I am Oldskool

Soldato
OP
I had to. I still remember it like it were yesterday. 1999, walked into that *gob spit* place who are all over the place. Purley Way, Croydon. Handed over just over a hundred notes and left with this.

gigBlvx.jpg

H3FMsHO.jpg

Just picked that up on the crappy auction site. Well stoked.

Soldato
OP
Been thinking about it and I decided to splash out a little. Instead of trying to make it work with my KVM I am going to make it a separate entity. I bought this to match my furniture

7m9MSiC.jpg

The last 160gb IDE drive made.

1L6VEJI.jpg

17" LCD in grade A condition.

cUCmrE9.jpg

ESD brush kit to clean the mobo sound card etc.

mDu5Na8.jpg

Elsewhere work continues.

ofcg0qc.jpg

I am having to weld one edge at a time to keep it true and square. I also need to come up with an idea for a fan shim so that it goes in without touching the shroud. All relatively easy stuff.

Quick sneak peak at the back plate. The cut out is for the RAM retention.

Q6ljQQl.jpg

I made the back plate to match the logo on the card which is chrome but won't be visible with the cooler on.

flMixoR.jpg

Soldato
OP
Removed fan, removed fan plate. Sanded fan plate so the graphics are gone, glued fan down.

gT3FLkO.jpg

As you can also see I have meshed "capacitor corner".

phn5Z8e.jpg

Will give the fan a couple of hours to set then solder/braid etc.

Soldato
OP
Tbh black does go with everything :D, good luck mate :)

Well I have decided to change the main cover panel graphics. The silver stuff started peeling and yeah, I didn't need a second reminder. Am laid up with a cold ATM so I think I will just do some design today and get that redone. Fittings were practically free. I had 6 spare from doing my last loop and there were two left on OCUK at the price I got them for (£2.99 each for Bitspower). I had the hose, had the pump, the rad was pretty much free and so on. The braided cables (24 pin etc) were all left over from a DFI tribute project that never happened and so it was finally time to throw everything I had in my spares box at it. Which is good because it has barely cost me anything (well, about £200 all done tops) but it has kept my mind busy. The last time my mind wanted something to do I spent about £1200 upgrading my main desktop lol. So I feel I have gotten off lightly here :D

Lee - yeah I was trying to find something modern with lower hours on it. Otherwise they start to whine and the noise is annoying.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Michael. Yeah, another one that started out as a bit of a laugh and then I got knee deep in lol. Was supposed to be simple !

Even though I swore up and down to myself that I was going to do nothing today (got a cold or something) I ended up doing something lol. My ESD brushes came last night so I gave the motherboard a ruddy good clean. Even though it was pretty clean there was a lot of dust clumped up in certain areas. Can't be having that.

gOSXsn7.jpg

And then of course it led on to "I will just remove the stock cooler and clean the CPU" and then "I will just fit the block" and then "I will just measure up the IO cover. FFS lol.

Soldato
OP
Last night I fitted the front.

yDDw0Rk.jpg

The old cathode ballast used to go in the case but I changed it and modded it to fit into the front area.

NHS5z2c.jpg

And what old skool PC would be worth its salts if it didn't have a Boomslang :D

qTwcHne.jpg

Yup, hiding in the bottom of my wardrobe was my 2007 Boomslang CE. I got it from OCUK ten years ago ! It's a little tatty but I tested it last night and everything works as it should :)

Soldato
OP
OK so I feel like crap today. Aching, runny nose and sore throat. Have taken paracetamol. I have been on the boring jobs. Things like shortening the front USB cable because it was nearly a foot too long, soldering, braiding etc. I also made a 3 pin fan to two 4 pin for the Grid +. Any way, the wiring is boring so I didn't take pics of that but here I am testing out the lights (the head LED and cathodes) as well as the fan converter/splitter I made.

ypDVGS3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom