I could really use some upgrade advice.

The 7950X3D is potentially twice as good if you do fully multithreaded work because you have 16 cores instead of 8, but not for games it is not needed and adds unnecessary complications.
Thank you.

I'm considering it as I don't intend to buy another CPU for a good few years, will the other cores ever likely to be utilised for gaming or shall I just stick with the 7800X3D?

Thank you.

I'm considering it as I don't intend to buy another CPU for a good few years, will the other cores ever likely to be utilised for gaming or shall I just stick with the 7800X3D?
Based on past history, no.

The single core/thread speed of CPUs increases far faster than the cores give you a meaningful benefit. For example: if you went for a 5950X in the last gen (16 core CPU), it gets beaten in games by a 7600 (6 core).

I think 8 cores will be pretty safe for games in the next 4-5 years, probably longer, until the single core/thread speed of your CPU is too slow anyway.

Based on past history, no.

The single core/thread speed of CPUs increases far faster than the cores give you a meaningful benefit. For example: if you went for a 5950X in the last gen (16 core CPU), it gets beaten in games by a 7600 (6 core).

I think 8 cores will be pretty safe for games in the next 4-5 years, probably longer, until the single core/thread speed of your CPU is too slow anyway.
Amazing, Thank you.

I'll stick with the 7800X3D as suggested.

Thank you again for all your help.

Good to know, Thank you.

I've definitely decided on the CPU, Ram and GPU but the motherboard I'm not so certain on.

My case, the EVGA DG-87 has the motherboards I/O back panel hidden within the case, see image here https://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/50/IMG0050941_1.jpg so any Wi-Fi equipped motherboard cannot have the screwed in antenna type so it has to have the ones connected by a lead and placed outside the PC, like the Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI (suggested here), the Asus ROG Strix B650-A Gaming WIFI or even the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F.

Thank you.

IMG0050941_1.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know, Thank you.

I've definitely decided on the CPU, Ram and GPU but the motherboard I'm not so certain on.

My case, the EVGA DG-87 has the motherboards I/O back panel hidden within the case, see image here https://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/50/IMG0050941_1.jpg so any Wi-Fi equipped motherboard cannot have the screwed in antenna type so it has to have the ones connected by a lead and placed outside the PC, like the Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI (suggested here), the Asus ROG Strix B650-A Gaming WIFI or even the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F.

Thank you.

IMG0050941_1.jpg
You can buy WIFI antennas with cables, so as long as the motherboard has the connectors you are good to go.

I can't post links, but you should find them easy enough.

You can buy WIFI antennas with cables, so as long as the motherboard has the connectors you are good to go.

I can't post links, but you should find them easy enough.
Thank you, I thought you probably needed to use the ones that came with the board.

Good to know.

How old is your PSU? If it's old you might want to replace it anyway as a precaution.

I'll echo @Tetras on the 7950X3D as being a waste for your use case. Do be aware that the 7950X3D has the extra cache on only one of the CCDs - half the cores.
I bought it in September 2016, so 8 years old, it's a EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 Platinum.

Thanks all.

Would anything bad happen if the PSU stops working? Like would it blow up the CPU, Motherboard, Ram, GPU e.t.c

I don't especially want to buy a new PSU, this one has worked flawless for those 8 years but I also don't want to blow up my components if that is likely to happen.

Also the PSU is rated for a lifetime usage of 100,000 hours, by my estimate I've used it for about 52,000 hours.

And I think I've chosen my motherboard.

Two that have been recommended here and are highly suggested elsewhere are the MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI and the Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI with the Tomahawk being lauded as the better of the two by some margin. That is the board I was going to get but it is it's currently out of stock but more importantly comes with two screw in wifi antennas, which as previously mentioned would not fit in my case so I would have to buy the wired antennas which costs a further £20-£25 for a decent one bringing the total to around £200 - £205.

For a further £15-£20 I can get the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F, which has better future proofing, more USB ports and seems to be the one of the most recommended, short of getting into the X670 line which I don't want.

So it's between the Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI or the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F and I'm leaning towards the Strix.

Thank you all for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

Last edited:
In the worst case it could fry everything.
This is true. If a PSU blows, it can take everything with it.

I’ll try find a video where gamers nexus tested a PSU models and multiple units kept blowing up taking devices with it.
That being said, a good PSU is less likely to blow up and take everything with it.

Ok, Thank you.

So I'm getting a 7800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI or Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Ram, ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070Ti SUPER Trinity Black Edition 16GB GDDR6X and the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB Dual Tower CPU Cooler.

What PSU should I be looking at getting that can comfortably handle those components?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom