I could really use some upgrade advice.

750 & 850 are enough?

My current one that is apparently about to explode is 1200W Platinum, has the technology improved in the last 8 years that a 750W PSU will suffice on 8 year newer components?

Thank you.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're ready for a solid upgrade to keep up with the latest games and your demanding multitasking needs. For your budget of around £1400, I recommend going for an AMD Ryzen 9 7900X or Intel Core i7-13700K, paired with a compatible motherboard like the ASUS ROG Strix X670E (for AMD) or Z790 (for Intel), and 64GB of DDR5 RAM to future-proof your setup. Your current RTX 2070 might struggle with newer games and VR, so if possible, consider stretching your budget slightly to include a new GPU, like the RTX 4070, which would significantly enhance your gaming and VR experiences. Just make sure your PSU can handle the power requirements of the new components. This combination should give you a powerful system that's well-balanced and ready for the latest titles and mods.

750 & 850 are enough?

My current one that is apparently about to explode is 1200W Platinum, has the technology improved in the last 8 years that a 750W PSU will suffice on 8 year newer components?

Thank you.
I'd be inclined to keep what you have, but yes, 750 is enough, though the 850 is just a tenner more.

More detailed answer: the 4070 Ti Super is around 300 watts and the 7800X3D is between 50-100 (depends on the game). If you allow 50 for your other parts then that puts you at 450, but that's leaving some headroom as you can see in this review which includes whole system power numbers with a 7800X3D:

I'd be inclined to keep what you have, but yes, 750 is enough, though the 850 is just a tenner more.

More detailed answer: the 4070 Ti Super is around 300 watts and the 7800X3D is between 50-100 (depends on the game). If you allow 50 for your other parts then that puts you at 450, but that's leaving some headroom as you can see in this review which includes whole system power numbers with a 7800X3D:
I'm inclined to keep what I have too and didn't even consider getting a new PSU until Quartz mentioned it might kill all my other components.

My current PSU is showing no signs currently of failing and as mentioned previously it's rated for a lifetime of 100,000 hours, I've barely exceeded half that at a rough estimate of around 52,000 hours, probably far, far less than that figure. I mean 8 years of 24 hour usage is only 70,000 hours and I turn my PC off at night and with holidays e.t.c it's probably around 40,000 hours used.

Thank you again.

Well that's a thoroughly depressing video in regards to my recently aquired 4070Ti Super, it seems to be quite a bit below or very similar to the 7900XT which is quite a bit cheaper as well.

I'm seriously considering returning the 4070Ti Super now, I thought it was supposed to be quite a bit better than the 7900XT and not far off the 7900XTX :(

Well that's a thoroughly depressing video in regards to my recently aquired 4070Ti Super, it seems to be quite a bit below or very similar to the 7900XT which is quite a bit cheaper as well.

I'm seriously considering returning the 4070Ti Super now, I thought it was supposed to be quite a bit better than the 7900XT and not far off the 7900XTX :(
You were supposed to just be looking at the power figures! :D

I wouldn't worry about it, I think you're still best off with nvidia for VR and afaik Flight Sim also prefers nvidia and if you did anything else you'd end up getting a card with less than 16GB of VRAM, which doesn't make sense for the money, or for playing at 4K.

Back
Top Bottom