I definitely saw this but can't remember many details. Help me.

Caporegime
My first thought was a Monitor too. A shallow draft and huge guns designed for close support work during infantry landings, being able to get much closer to shore and blast the **** out of the enemy during the landings.

There were lots of interesting ships around that era, I really like the twin gun submarine that the French built, the Surcouf. Twin 8" guns and an aircraft hanger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Surcouf

Soldato
My first thought was a Monitor too. A shallow draft and huge guns designed for close support work during infantry landings, being able to get much closer to shore and blast the **** out of the enemy during the landings.

There were lots of interesting ships around that era, I really like the twin gun submarine that the French built, the Surcouf. Twin 8" guns and an aircraft hanger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Surcouf

as with many things, people didn't know the "right" formula.

ships, subs, guns, tractors, tanks, cars, planes, etc etc

i love looking at all the crazy ideas people came up with in the early days of this kind of tech, shows how what we think of as the standard way to do things is really an evolution, and we really did try everything before coming around to the best design for the job.

Man of Honour

The British "K" class submarines were far more insane than the Surcouf. They were steam powered. When diving something like 24 hatches and ports had to be closed. It took about four minutes. At least seven were lost due to accidents.

Caporegime
Here's three WWII factoids that should rise you eyebrow.

- Many ships, (including Titanic sister ship Britanic) used dazzle razzle camouflage. Look it up, war movies won't show you that.
- In the final year of the WWII, Nazi Germany's fleet of only jet fighter planes (you read it right, JET fighter planes) was bigger than the entire number of aircrafts Britain managed to mobilise during Battle of Britain. Yet somehow they barely managed to use any of them.
- Despite common misconception, Adolf had blue eyes.

Enjoy

The "Olympic class" of ships didn't exist in WWII, and Britannic was a hospital ship (HMHS Britannic) and painted white with large red crosses on her hull, it was RMS Olympic which used dazzle camouflage when she served as a troop transport.

During the battle of Britain, the RAF had 1963 serviceable aircraft at their disposal, the total production number for the ME 262 was 1430, the Aarando 234 was around 250 and the Heinkel 162 around 250 again, in other words their total accumulation didn't match the RAF's serviceable fleet, never mind those not serviceable (ie in storage,under repairs and in reserve)

Adolf did have blue eyes... ;)

v0n

v0n

Soldato
During the battle of Britain, the RAF had 1963 serviceable aircraft at their disposal, the total production number for the ME 262 was 1430, the Aarando 234 was around 250 and the Heinkel 162 around 250 again, in other words their total accumulation didn't match the RAF's serviceable fleet, never mind those not serviceable (ie in storage,under repairs and in reserve)

The three out of eleven German WWII jet crafts you listed already almost match RAF numbers, now add 300 Fieseler Fi 103Rs and...

The "Olympic class" of ships didn't exist in WWII, and Britannic was a hospital ship (HMHS Britannic) and painted white with large red crosses on her hull, it was RMS Olympic which used dazzle camouflage when she served as a troop transport.

I understand, wrong Titanic sister ship. Well, I blame that dazzle camouflage, I couldn't tell them apart. ;)

Caporegime
Whilst they did have large numbers of jet aircraft, many never entered active service and those that did were hamstrung by the lack of trained pilots, fuel, airfields that stayed intact long enough for them to be used (hence them operating from autobahns at the wars end)

The allies had far fewer operational jets, but, they were fully resourced, crewed by well trained experienced pilots and operated from bases that in the latter parts of the war were almost untouched by enemy action, as a consequence their fewer numbers mattered little, they were by far a more effective force.

Your factoid re the German jet is interesting but ultimately meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom