• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I feel like buying GPU's is a form of therapy for me... Anyone else?

Soldato
i think folk need to get out more if you get excited from buying a gpu:cry: a gpu is an essential item for playing games, i would understand if you got the thrill from playing at high res with high fps of a decent game, but not a bit of plastic casing itself:cry:

Associate
https://time.com/22257/heres-proof-buying-more-stuff-actually-makes-you-miserable/

It's a good read, proven without a doubt, but it won't make any difference to our OP over here...

My take on this thread: OP is trying to get that endorphine hit from buying things to extend beyond the 10 minutes it normally lasts by boasting, maybe validation that other's have the same tendancies (which we all do to some extent).

I'm the same TBH, I spent my cash on making my house warm, efficient and with my own power. It'll take 20 years to pay off, has very few direct benefits, but I get huge satisfaction every day knowing I'm not cold, burning gas at great expense and the power will stay on. It's similar, but with a focus on utility and on a much longer scale...

Last edited:
Soldato
https://time.com/22257/heres-proof-buying-more-stuff-actually-makes-you-miserable/

It's a good read, proven without a doubt, but it won't make any difference to our OP over here...

My take on this thread: OP is trying to get that endorphine hit from buying things to extend beyond the 10 minutes it normally lasts by boasting, maybe validation that other's have the same tendancies (which we all do to some extent).

I'm the same TBH, I spent my cash on making my house warm, efficient and with my own power. It'll take 20 years to pay off, has very few direct benefits, but I get huge satisfaction every day knowing I'm not cold, burning gas at great expense and the power will stay on. It's similar, but with a focus on utility and on a much longer scale...

Stop you being so sensible :p

Associate
Therapy like Electroconvulsive therapy, done under general anesthesia? Yeah, I can see that. The graphics card market has been a waking nightmare for well north of a year now.

Soldato
No idea of your circumstances but to me this sounds like a hole you are digging.

I also love tech I can definitely match you there but discipline is needed.

It matters too much to me to be at least secure financially.

I work and do credit but set limits.

Sound advice. I think Johnny needs to be careful! Tech+Credit+ Not much of an income can be dangerous.

Associate
12gb though :cry:

Apparently the 10GB 3080 is a slide show in Far Cry 6, at 4k, with high texture pack & ray tracing, https://youtu.be/mMIue2mGKNI?t=21.

Unfortunately perhaps there isn't enough encouragement at times to say its ok to turn on dlss/fsr or lower settings to get a good experience with the card you have and some people are left feeling that they have got to future proof more via hardware rather than use software settings. Hence, Nvidia get away with charging so much extra for only 2GB more Vram

Soldato
Apparently the 10GB 3080 is a slide show in Far Cry 6, at 4k, with high texture pack & ray tracing, https://youtu.be/mMIue2mGKNI?t=21.

Unfortunately perhaps there isn't enough encouragement at times to say its ok to turn on dlss/fsr or lower settings to get a good experience with the card you have and some people are left feeling that they have got to future proof more via hardware rather than use software settings. Hence, Nvidia get away with charging so much extra for only 2GB more Vram
they get away with it because ppl undeducated, or those plainly lacking fall for it:cry:

Last edited:
Associate
For me I've tried the 3070, 6800 XT, 3080 and 3090. Just ran out of ways to upgrade eventually.

Definitely them not being readily available made me want them all the more. Bit stupid when you think about it.

Last edited:
Associate
It's all financed then old card is sold to put towards monthly payments of the new one.

That's how you get the best of the best. I manage to do this and i'm not even working. Yes my bank is constantly overdrawn but at-least I have fun with the latest cool tech :D

You had better hope that interest rates don't go up as the next best of the best is said to be 2000+ dollars, https://youtu.be/Y4tGm57K67E?t=560

Back
Top Bottom