• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I feel like buying GPU's is a form of therapy for me... Anyone else?

Soldato
Sure, if you can afford to do that. It's all about the in game performance and value for me. And trying to build a PC with few performance bottlenecks (such as RAM frequencies and latency to some extent).

But, you never want to be too far behind the top of the line I suppose, there's a always a balance to be struck. e.g work out if you care about the difference between 50 and 60 FPS minimum (and how perceptible is this difference when you aren't staring at a framerate counter?)

Getting things for a good price can also be a very good feeling :). I seem to have convinced myself that £650 would be a reasonable price for a RTX 3080 FE, in hindsight I wonder if I will still think the same thing in 1 or 2 years time?

£650 for a 3080 founders edition IS reasonable. Not far off the most powerful GPU out there for £650 is in line with historic top of the range prices.

Soldato
Sure, if you can afford to do that. It's all about the in game performance and value for me. And trying to build a PC with few performance bottlenecks (such as RAM frequencies and latency to some extent).

But, you never want to be too far behind the top of the line I suppose, there's a always a balance to be struck. e.g work out if you care about the difference between 50 and 60 FPS minimum (and how perceptible is this difference when you aren't staring at a framerate counter?)

Getting things for a good price can also be a very good feeling :). I seem to have convinced myself that £650 would be a reasonable price for a RTX 3080 FE, in hindsight I wonder if I will still think the same thing in 1 or 2 years time?

Regarding the £650 for 3080fe yes it's better over someone that paid £1k+ for AIB model which only gives few more fps

Getting the Fe myself gives me that good feeling

Soldato
Yup, shame that it's so difficult to upgrade from 1 FE to another.

It's not the only way to think about it though. I'm sure some think that upgrading from a RTX 3070 to a 3080 is not worth the approx. 30% performance improvement (in other words, it depends entirely on what you are upgrading from). I suppose you can eke a bit more out of it with overclocking though, if your PSU allows.

I think they should just make the rule, 1 FE card per year and leave it at that. But, reference models are mostly for marketing and to give the impression that AMD and Nvidia are (attempting to) offer a good deal to customers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I know few that got the 3060ti / 3070 Fe cards and regret or want to upgrade to the 3080 they can't because of the 1per customer

If they don't lift it with the 30 series will just have to wait for 40 series when it will be able to buy again

Wonder if AMD this time will do UK drops I hope so also maybe intel will also do UK drops ?

Soldato
I think it will take at least a year or 2 for Intel to become competitive in performance with Nvidia and AMD's high end cards. But I think they will shake up the mid end significantly and return value to customers at this level (around RTX 3070 performance this year for their TSMC 6nm EUV cards, probably for a similar price to the RTX 3070 FE RRP).

That's why Intel's own 7nm EUV is a key technology for Intel, for both CPUs (Meteor Lake) and graphics cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
The most I've ever spent on a GPU is £200. I don't know how anyone can say £650 is a bargain.

Performance/price for FE is pretty linear across all Nvidia ranges from 3060ti all the way up to the RTX 3080. Can't go wrong with any of them (apart from perhaps the 3070ti whose value proposition is a bit worse).

unknown.png

Below the 3060ti and above the 3080, the value proposition is very bad.

Soldato
I think around £550-£560 would be a better price for the RTX 3080 FE, because this would reflect the approx. 50% performance increase at 4K resolution, vs the RTX 3060 TI (FE price £370), which has the best cost per frame of the Ampere series at any resolution.

Based on this:
https://tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-ge...ion/images/relative-performance_3840-2160.png

You pay more because of the short supply of GDDR6X, and the GPU dies themselves. Plus you get a whole extra 2GB of VRAM!

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol, yeah. About 4.1x the cost of the RTX 3060 TI FE, for just a 74% improvement in performance at 4k (assuming the RTX 3090 TI is approx. 10% faster than the rtx 3090).

There's always a sweet spot, the RTX 3060 TI FE was it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom