I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Associate
Very cool @bulb66
You design that yourself?

Didn't design it no, but I did remix some parts heavily. The main models came from the Prusa Official MMU, and I remixed them to fit a different hot end and how it mounts. The printed extruders are mostly unchanged I just enlarged some holes for brass inserts to be added. The extruder mounts are the most remixed as it's only based on the idea of mounting to the metal plus frame.

Done a couple of multi colour prints, but I'm still working out the kinks.

Started off with 2 colours

Then to 3

And a fail at 4, lol.

Associate
What software are people using to design with, still thinking of getting a 3d printer but worried about the design of things (would rather have a play with software first then buy printer.

Matt

Soldato
How difficult are they to learn or use?

Am thinking about it's use for printing handgrips for an air rifle but not sure how I'd go about creating this.

Matt

It really depends on you tbh. 123D is pretty easy, Fusion has a fairly steep curve, but it is far more advanced.
Look for tutorials on Youtube and I'm pretty sure the respective websites have their own collection too.

Soldato
The Prusa Mk3 isn't far off 600, especially if you get the kit build. Creality CR-10 is what I have and it's a great printer, picked it up new for £300 so watch out for deals on banggood and sometimes amazon is fairly cheap but more importantly it will arrive quickly.. those coming from china can take a good 30+ days to arrive.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Wife has just ordered me a Tevo Tornado for my birthday - will post up when it arrives :)

Man of Honour
How difficult are they to learn or use?

Am thinking about it's use for printing handgrips for an air rifle but not sure how I'd go about creating this.

Matt

Some materials and depending on vertical layer thickness and temperatures, etc. can be quite brittle also some shapes can have weaknesses such as vertical columns where if you aren't careful they are weak at any top and bottom connection to other parts of the model.

You do need a fair knowledge of best practises and pitfalls to avoid if making parts for something that needs durability and can be subject to forces in active sports, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with ABS - my printer came with test bits for PLA and ABS but the ABS tended to shrink and warp a lot so I've not persisted with it - also used some exotic stuff like flexible and high transparency.

Soldato
Annealed PLA is what I go for if I want a bit more strength. ABS is just a PITA plus there are the health risks of having the associated fumes in your house.

Back
Top Bottom