I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
So, bit of a noob here. Got my Ender 3 just a couple of days ago and learning fast.

Getting some reasonable prints and making mistakes along the way :D

Here's my Benchy that I printed with supports....ooops. It's taken a bit of a battering pulling them all out but still not too horrendous. Size was spot on though.

edLy2I9.jpg

lG97NcI.jpg

Printed off a mini Deadpool bust last night too. Again, not perfect but for a scale down of a larger model it's not too bad. 75mm high.

9QUy49D.jpg

ZKGZEmr.jpg

3aGWVCj.jpg

Still playing about with lots of slicer settings using Cura.

Caporegime
Could someone who knows assess this benchy?

I didn't use any supports. It came straight out of the printer like this.

I (myself) think it looks good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have to preheat the PLA before each print and when do you know the PLA is at the correct temp in order to print out in success? :)

they sound noisy, is there a way to reduce the noise? mods?

do you wait a certain time before you do another print? or can you print a project...then another and another etc

Looking into 3d printing :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have to preheat the PLA before each print and when do you know the PLA is at the correct temp in order to print out in success? :)

they sound noisy, is there a way to reduce the noise? mods?

do you wait a certain time before you do another print? or can you print a project...then another and another etc

Looking into 3d printing :D

The PLA goes into the hot end (the nozzle, to simplify it) cold and is heated as it goes through. You preheat the hotend but that takes very little time, a minute or two. Getting the bed up to temperature takes longer but still only a few minutes or so.

Yes they are noisy, stepper motor dampers helped mine hugely. The noise of the steppers carried through the whole house previously and now doesn't really carry outside of the room that it's in, the fans are the loudest part now. It's not really what you'd call noisy at all, certainly not compared to stock.

You can print again as soon as you've cleared the bed really.

Caporegime
Can anyone help.

I have a weird (as a novice) scenario appear today.
A couple of PLA loops have appeared in my model that are not present in the slic3r model.
I've never seen this before.
At first I thought it was an error, so. I reprinted. But it's not.

It's on the bottom of an external Surface plane. (plane is about 10cm by 5cm)
The printed 'strand loop' is printed then the flat base on top
The flat base is printed on a support bed due to an overhang in the model

It looks like the strands are not part of an actual layer.
The same effect could by placing the loop by hand after later 20 and printing layer 21 on top.

I will add a pic later to clarify. But it Seems Very odd.
You cant remove it either unlike all the support material I've printed

I wondered if its Because I'm trying to print a large external Surface plane on a support structure?

Soldato
Can anyone help.

A couple of PLA loops have appeared in my model that are not present in the slic3r model.

The same effect could by placing the loop by hand after later 20 and printing layer 21 on top.

I wondered if its Because I'm trying to print a large external Surface plane on a support structure?

Could be that the STL file needs fixing.

Soldato
Can anyone help.

if on win10 load the stl up in 3d builder, import and check for errors. Had a fair few of thingiverse that needed fixing.

Soldato
Can anyone help.

Interested to see a picture, I can't visualise what you're driving at. Whenever I have any failed print that looks like it might be gcode related, I flip the item 180º in Cura and make a new Gcode just to make sure it's not a dodgy file it's output for me.

If it's just a hanging bit of filament, it probably is due to the support. I've printed a couple of bits without support that were sort of pushing what can be done, and on the first couple of layers the filament just ends up hanging there. I've tried to photograph one to show you what I mean:

1RNAeIy.jpg

This isn't a very extreme example (the worse bit on this print I filed off) but basically where the printer's extruding from point a to point b, it's sometimes basically printing on thin air and sometimes the extruded filament will hang down a bit.. generally it will catch up after a couple of layers but you often get these scruffy bits on the bottom. I do find that even supported overhangs often have this to some extent. Is that what you mean, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

With this it can either be helped by supports, or better cooling etc. I've seen some pictures where some people get their printers to bridge crazy gaps and still have a good finish, no idea how they do it though! I have a petsfang cooler on mine with a blower fan and I think when the fans are on full whack they can do really good bridges and overhangs, but I never really have it turned up that high as that can cause its own problems. That's the way it goes with this hobby from what I can see!

Soldato
I work a mile or so from 3dfilaprint who I gather are a fairly well known supplier in the UK, and they are really welcoming, helpful guys and all round good eggs so I tend to buy most of my filament from them.

They do their own stuff and stock a lot of the big brands too, they sell 10m samples and also give you a sample with every kilogram you buy, I've got a few samples of different nylons I need to try (working up to it because I know it's going to be aggro) but I've picked up some other samples too, woodfill that I wasted due to printer problems but it's very cool (feels and smells like real wood and smells really nice while it's printing), some TPU I haven't tried yet, and this:

vRnevJn.jpg

Fillamentum Vertigo Galaxy. It's about £28 for 750g which is fiendishly expensive if you ask me, but it's absolutely amazing! It's really hard to get a nice photo of it but it's like an olive green colour with gold flakes and it looks awesome. This is how they get you, I'm going to have to buy some now I think. The flake hides layer lines really well.

Caporegime
B9KLbuP.jpg

So, 1, that hinges section at top of the pic is overhanging and lower than the base.
So a support structure is printed for the whole of the base.
Im guessing this leads to the non perfect base?

2, that's angular strand I can't see when slabbing though the sliced file. I even tried to pull the whole layer off. But I'm convinced it's part of the model, as you can see. It wouldn't come off!

Man of Honour
Are you using Cura?

With it set to model view when you rotate the view the underside of the model is the whole base red? If it isn't then it isn't place perfectly flat on the build surface.

Something Ive had a couple of times

Caporegime
I'm using slic3r (it came with pre calibrated profiles for my mk3)

I see the red surface so I assume the colours are same in slic3r. I don't see those extrat lines at all.i will look closer. But they seem to serve no purpose. What I might do (this is my 3rd print) is chop off the overhanging hinges and print them separately. Will allow me to print that flat surface directly on the bed.

I guess it's not great too build a flat large plane on supports?

The overall I'm getting from my printer is fantastic. I'm impressed with 0.1mm especially

Soldato
I'm using slic3r (it came with pre calibrated profiles for my mk3)

I see the red surface so I assume the colours are same in slic3r. I don't see those extrat lines at all.i will look closer. But they seem to serve no purpose. What I might do (this is my 3rd print) is chop off the overhanging hinges and print them separately. Will allow me to print that flat surface directly on the bed.

I guess it's not great too build a flat large plane on supports?

The overall I'm getting from my printer is fantastic. I'm impressed with 0.1mm especially
do you have a link to the STL?

Soldato
I work a mile or so from 3dfilaprint who I gather are a fairly well known supplier in the UK, and they are really welcoming, helpful guys and all round good eggs so I tend to buy most of my filament from them.

They do their own stuff and stock a lot of the big brands too, they sell 10m samples and also give you a sample with every kilogram you buy, I've got a few samples of different nylons I need to try (working up to it because I know it's going to be aggro) but I've picked up some other samples too, woodfill that I wasted due to printer problems but it's very cool (feels and smells like real wood and smells really nice while it's printing), some TPU I haven't tried yet, and this:

vRnevJn.jpg

Fillamentum Vertigo Galaxy. It's about £28 for 750g which is fiendishly expensive if you ask me, but it's absolutely amazing! It's really hard to get a nice photo of it but it's like an olive green colour with gold flakes and it looks awesome. This is how they get you, I'm going to have to buy some now I think. The flake hides layer lines really well.

Hi, i am pretty rubbish with 3d design stuff, what did you use to make your name? Can you do one for me and send the file :p plz lol

Caporegime
Potato photos due to printer being in dark corner of man-cave, printing my first non test print (screw for desk mounted headphone holder), just printing on standard quality currently it has two higher settings.

nAO9Hn2.jpg

X5lq5h5.jpg

Very happy with the results (quality vs time to print), looking forward to printing more.

Back
Top Bottom