1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Pinter75, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Diagro

Sgarrista

Thanks mate.

Although, the printer died this morning. Turned it on, took SD out. Copied a file onto it.

Noticed the screen was off....

No power. The PSU has died I believe. :(

2. Diagro

Sgarrista

£47 for a new Mean Well 200W 24V PSU off the rain-forest tomorrow delivery. If this doesn't work, at least i can simply return it.

3. andicole0

Soldato

Does it power up with the sd card back in?
    Andi.

4. Diagro

Sgarrista

Nope, it's the auto shut off relay. It's stuck in shut off mode.
    If I bypass it the printer functions, albeit with no safety cut off.
    I've ordered some new relays off the interwebs. If those work then bargain. Otherwise the makers will need to send me the PCB to replace ir

5. gilljoy

Hitman

So I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask the question but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a uk equivalent of shapeways? Artel W released some STL files for free of old oop models he use to sell and I'd like to get them printed, but a single piece is a ridiculous cost on shapeways

6. MoNkEyMiKeY

Mobster

I'm guessing that is for miniatures? If it is really you want them printed on something like a resin printer so you get good detail.

Probably worth going on one of the resin printer forums and asking if someone can print then for you. Or you could buy yourself a resin printer for £200-300 like the elegoo mars and print them yourself.

There are other sites that provide printing services but I've mostly found they are not cheap.

7. gilljoy

Hitman

It is yeah, looking on shapeways / another site who's name I can't remember. I was getting a quote of about £300 to get a single miniature printed... I could just buy a printer for that price.

8. bulb66

Wise Guy

Unfortunately that's the state of print services at the moment, the cost of printers themselves are so low that it's not worth people offering the service. Of course the cost of a printer + consumables + failures + time will be more than the cost you've quoted but once you get past that it's a lot less for you.

9. Haze

Mobster

Yeah, just buy your own printer

10. Bickaxe

Sgarrista

Hero Forge has customizable miniatures.
    Made 1 for our game and still experimenting with a few prints and altering sizes etc but it looks quite good.
    We have an Elegoo Mars.

They have their own print service (US based I think) but the miniature file is only $7.99 (£6).
    I couldn't find anything on any model sites for what I wanted.

11. gilljoy

Hitman

Yeah I'm going to look into getting a printer later in the year, I can only really print out in my shed and I imagine it's too cold right now to print.

12. Matt_Hirst

Wise Guy

I've printed a few hero forge miniatures for a friend at work on my Creality CR10S, a friend of his was quoted stupid money to print them. Took a while to get everything just right like the supports etc but once cracked all worked perfectly, had to slow right down to print it with sufficient detail though.

Matt

13. Dempsey22

Wise Guy

Hi all,

I was gifted an Ender 3 Pro for Xmas. Still have it sitting in box as I havent got time to set it up but will do over the weekend.

What software is best to download? :)

14. Frozennova

Man of Honour

You'll want Cura or Slic3r to get you started for slicing STL Models to print them, if you want to draw/model your own things for printing then Fusion360 is nice and intuitive

15. MarkeR

Mobster

Is there anywhere decent online I can get 3D prints done?
    Thanks

16. Haze

Mobster

Would be cheaper to buy your own printer

Try scrolling up a bit....

17. no idea what

Sgarrista

A few on here might be able to help you out depending on what you require.

18. MarkeR

Mobster

19. MarkeR

Mobster

20. Haze

Mobster

Would try Ender 3 personally