I need a bike - any experts

Soldato
I only do XC, but a pal of mine does DH (Yeti DH9) most weekends and still has original pads after 2 years, saying that I know one guy who wore out his pads after a couple of DH runs. Depends on the circumstance I guess.

Soldato
Ive been running the same pads in my nines for a while now.Dont seem to have worn down much.Depends on the riding though recently ive just been up and down to work on it so not much constant braking.But one weekend in les gets/morzine you wont have any pad left.Sintered pads all the way aswell,i got new pads for my old deore mechanical disk and it was crap after that but i now buy sintered.They work well and dont change much once they heat up just dont feel as bitey but have the same power.Work better in the rain for some reason dunno what thats about though.

Permabanned
If you can lock up the front wheel with V-brakes, you don't need a disc. Keep your cables clean and lubed, and well-routed, and set them up properly to start with and the job's a good 'un. I've stood the bike on it's front wheel when a lemming* stepped off the pavement straight in front of me (and headbutted him in the shoulder, he was that close!)

Quick tip: when fitting the shimano type cable outers that need a proper cable cutter, use the cutting disc in a Dremel clone rather than fork out for cable cutters. It gives a better cut and the multitool can be used for many other things and you can find one plus 80-odd bits for less than the cost of the cutters.

*pedestrian

Soldato
Mohinder said:
I'm no expert, but I bought an MTB just before Christmas and I ended up going for a Carrera Kraken, the '05 model from Halfords. It was discounted from £400 to £266, and has decent running gear and bits on it, all Deore stuff. It's a decent solid bike and it was good and cheap, so I'd recommend it.
My cousin and his friend have got the Kraken on same offer as you. They got them for christmas and my cousin has snapped is frame doing light jumping :(

Soldato
Scythe said:
My cousin and his friend have got the Kraken on same offer as you. They got them for christmas and my cousin has snapped is frame doing light jumping :(
How heavy is your cousin? And does he know how to jump/land a bike or is he just riding off stuff and landing like a car pushed off a cliff? Krakens were never built with jumping in mind in any case, the tubing is not butted and there are no gussets or other reinforcements.

Pics of the new ride would be good Minority :).

Soldato
V's = the groove's are no longer visible is a first sign, but they have a bit of life in them after that. Also look out for Concave rims, I broke a rim by not replacing my V pads enough! A pal of mine's rim broke mid ride: wore right through! eek!

Discs: yet to find out! :p

Soldato
Ceramic Rims and Rimtar and HS 33s (Or Cane Creek DC 3s) = Elite Stopping Power. Ceramic Rims will never wear out.
Discs are excellent, but the pads will run out quickly and they are crap if they get contaminated. Sintered are best in terms of hardwaring, but they will result in a loss of power. I use GoodRidge pads in my Marta SLs, and they lasted almost 12 months, although I got them contaminated during a DH race about three weeks ago, and had to replace one pair because it crumbled after I cooked it after soaking it in white spirit. The other pair were fine though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom