I regret going 1440p

Soldato
I find that the biggest win is going to higher resolutions. In fact, I’d say resolution > quality presets

For instance, 4K medium will look better than 1080p high, so I wouldn’t downgrade from 1440p personally.

This is true, when I plug my laptop into a 4k/1140p TV it blows what the Xbox One X is capable out of the water, I never realised it until I compared them as consoles to me always seemed better.

Associate
This is one of the reasons why I chose 1080p. The bar for graphics keeps getting moved and being able to push your desired framerate at a given resolution becomes harder as AAA games improve.
Picking 1080p makes it easier to turn all the eye candy up on AAA titles while still being able to get high refresh rates.

But it is only 1 of the reasons why I chose 1080p.

I understand that people will say, just turn down x or turn off y and if that works for them then great, but i feel like it is a slippery slope of compromise that I don't want to go down.

As hardware advances I'll look to game at higher resolutions, but right now I think 1080p makes the most sense for me. But this was a decision made with other considerations in mind as well, so I appreciate that other people have different priorities.

Associate
I initially had a gtx 970 and 1080p 144hz monitor, played everything on max, then upgraded to a 1440 165hz monitor, then upgraded to a 1070Ti then upgraded again to a 1080Ti, it looks great at 1440 and i love the high refresh rate, but I don't play enough to thoroughly enjoy it and tbh the high frame rates don't really affect my enjoyment of a game, its good to have the power to run it, but sometimes it just seems a waste.
Don't think i'll ever upgrade to 4k.

Permabanned
i watched an you tube video asking people to spot the difference.

1080 60hz > 120hz
1440 60hz > 120hz

at 1080 a lot of people ever then none games could spot the shift in refresh rate, but at 1440 the people that could tell dropped down to about 7%
I personally have a 1440 60hz panel, and if i can hold a solid 60fps its perfect, i feel no need to get a high refresh fate monitor

Associate
OP
i watched an you tube video asking people to spot the difference.

1080 60hz > 120hz
1440 60hz > 120hz

at 1080 a lot of people ever then none games could spot the shift in refresh rate, but at 1440 the people that could tell dropped down to about 7%
I personally have a 1440 60hz panel, and if i can hold a solid 60fps its perfect, i feel no need to get a high refresh fate monitor

For me 60fps is a bare minimum, anything below that and it looks choppy. 100fps ish is the sweet spot for me, it looks very fluid, especially when moving around or panning at speed. I'd sooner go back to a high refresh rate 1080p monitor then a 60hz 1440p. That's just me though, each to their own.

Soldato
For me 60fps is a bare minimum, anything below that and it looks choppy. 100fps ish is the sweet spot for me, it looks very fluid, especially when moving around or panning at speed. I'd sooner go back to a high refresh rate 1080p monitor then a 60hz 1440p. That's just me though, each to their own.

That’s how it works for me as well, currently on 144 1080p screen.

Soldato
Do you play any 'twitch' games though?

As for the topic, erm, whats wrong with having two monitors? OP you should have kept your old 144hz monitor and used both for different applications.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why dont you play with high fps on a

Do you play any 'twitch' games though?

As for the topic, erm, whats wrong with having two monitors? OP you should have kept your old 144hz monitor and used both for different applications.

I am the OP and I still have my 1440p 144hz monitor :p The problem I have with it is building a new PC to play modern AAA games at circa 100fps at 1440p is significantly more expensive than 1080p (significantly more than I initially expected when I bought the monitor 2 yrs or so ago) so I am starting to wish I bought a 1080p one originally. Ofc I can always buy a second monitor, but it kind of defeats the point of owning the 144hz 1440p one. I also have no idea what a "twitch" game is.

Associate
A twitch game is one like counter strike, where mega fast reaction times and pinpoint accuracy count for everything. Hence twitch games give an advantage to those on 144 Hz over 60 hz as it'll be a bit more accurate in displaying the exact location of targets at any particular millisecond.

Personally I game on an ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 60 hz. The immersion offered by ultrawide was what drew me. I haven't regretted it - even firing up an oldie like the original Deus Ex in 3440x1440 is an improved experience. I can't say I've regretted going for the higher resolution screen, though the idea of having to upgrade my graphics card again any time soon fills me with dread.

Many say 144 hz is the new holy grail, but my ultrawide is the alternative holy grail I went for. Getting both UW and 144 Hz would be a nightmare for PC upgrading that I'm keen to avoid.

Associate
Twitch games refer to the fast response time needed in a shooter or something like that, where you 'twitch' your crosshair to the head or w/e of your opponent.

It's not a term I hear much now, but basically it is talking about any game that needs or relies on fast responses. Although that kind of twitch response shows up in most shooters at some point, I guess the person who mentioned twitch games means games like CSGO / R6S; games where having the fastest response is what is needed to win. So having low latency and a high refresh rate monitor gives you an edge over those who don't.

To be fair, a high refresh rate monitor will be a boon in any online shooter as long as you have the rest of the hardware (and reflexes) to back it up. To be clear, it doesn't refer exclusively to FPS, other styles of games need the same kind of fast twitch response, but shooters are the first that come to mind.

And that is where the streaming platform twitch takes its name from btw.

Back
Top Bottom