I want a credit card!

Soldato
basmic said:

Pretty terrible huh? With no credit rating though, it's one of his only options. It's a good idea to get ANY card if you're just going to pay off £10 a month or so, as it will build up your credit score.

Man of Honour
My advice - DON'T GET ONE.

If you need it for emergencies get an overdraft facility on your current account and try to NEVER use it. :)

Man of Honour
AJUK said:
My advice - DON'T GET ONE.

That advice is only relevant to people with no willpower whatsoever and absolutely rubbish financial management. Credit cards are not dangerous, idiots with credit cards are.

I am a student and I have several credit cards (With nil balances) and so far, no small children have been killed as a result.

Stop being so dramatic.

A FREE choice of card design

LOL kinda shows the priorities there of Capital One customers :D

Man of Honour
Ulfhedjinn said:
Bingo. I have a credit card, but I only ever use my Visa Electron debit card.

It's just a simpler, easier way to make transactions and not spend more than you actually have.
Visa Electron is poo and isn't taken anywhere :confused: Might as well have a Diners card.
burnsy2023 said:
I would advise against this due to not being protected under the consumer credit act and your also not strengthening your credit profile.
I would advise for it because it means no spiralling debts.
Raymond Lin said:
You don't decide you need one, if you don't actually need one, don't get one.
Bingo

Soldato
Just got my first credit card at age 28, the only reason is because I am travelling and don't want to take a load of cash with me.

I ended up getting a Virgin card.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
That advice is only relevant to people with no willpower whatsoever and absolutely rubbish financial management. Credit cards are not dangerous, idiots with credit cards are.

I am a student and I have several credit cards (With nil balances) and so far, no small children have been killed as a result.

Stop being so dramatic.

LOL kinda shows the priorities there of Capital One customers :D
Small children die everyday due to the West's excessive consumerism, mainly fuelled by credit. How's that for dramatic but way off topic.

Permabanned
I want a credit card!

You can one of mine, they are not as bad as everybody says, I have about 4 the most i ever had was £1.5k between them and got it down to £500 now, they are great for the internet because mose sites take them and you will get your money back if the site runs with your money.

Just make sure you can pay a good amount off a month, no £15 her or £25 there I am taking £100+ disposable cash a month.

Man of Honour
cheets64 said:
Just make sure you can pay a good amount off a month, no £15 her or £25 there I am taking £100+ disposable cash a month.

No, just make sure you have cash available to pay it off in full at the end of every month.

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
Is Capital One a little too common for your highly esteemed self :)

It's just a little amusing that a major selling point of a financial product is not the APR or additional services but the pretty pictures you can select for your card :)

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
Easy when you live with your parents :)

Versus not having one at all it seems sensible. I am reffering to people who would ordinarily not have a card. It's a way of building up a credit rating. Need a £50 item? Don't take £50 out the bank for it, buy it on your card then pay it off. Same as buying it on a debit card really but you gain credit rating.

You don't need to live with your parents to grasp the whole 'Only spend what I have money for' way of life.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox said:
You don't need to live with your parents to grasp the whole 'Only spend what I have money for' way of life.
Absolutely. Although I would be wary of taking advice on financial matters from someone who had never moved out of their parents' home ;)

Permabanned
Get an AMEX or VISA if you must get a C Card.

I've got a Halifax Charity card myself though I very rarely use it.

D

Back
Top Bottom