• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-4790K Thermal Throttles on Stock and Overclocking issues

Associate
Hi,

I have posted the same on reddit and am struggling to get some advice so thought I would post this here as well. Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/kystwp/i74790k_overclocking_was_stable_now_isnt/

Essentially I got a used i7-4790K and intended to socket swap it with my old i5-4690K. To cut a long story short (more detail can be seen in the reddit post) the CPU now won't even properly stress test using OCCT Small Data Set 8 Threads - it just instantly thermal throttles to 100 deg. I have manually set the settings in the BIOS to stock and ensured FIXED mode is on (not adaptive). Now I need to stress that I have had this chip run at 4.7GHz at 1.29V with a temp of 68 deg. I am unsure why this is happening, the CMOS has been cleared, optimised defaults loaded before any changes are made. I have been at this for a couple days now so any help would be highly appreciated.

RIG:
i7-4790K
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Coolermaster 212 Evo w/ Arctic Silver 5 + Noctua Fans
16GB 1333MHz RAM

Associate
OP
Not delidded no. Was running for a 10 minute stress test on that occasion. Prior to that I had it at 4.7GHz and was running fine and was able to play warzone for numerous hours. It was after that point I stupidly did a GPU OC and that opened a number of issues. I have fixed that GPU and reverted that but still no luck. Seems like every time I attempt an OC, different behaviour is displayed.

Associate
OP
Voltage at stock is 1.056 as in the image. I have reseated the cooler about 4 times now. Like I said it runs fine, decent temps and then randomly just throttles after being turned off. Could it be the motherboard?

Soldato
Strange. Could be a motherboard issue, but one other possibility is that the thermal paste under the IHS could be on its last legs. Intel were still trying to con people into believing that solder was too expensive during the Haswell era, so it's (really quite crap) paste under there. If the results you're getting have been changing after thermal cycling, it could be that poor contact is being made and the heat is shifting things around, causing the mixed results. Delidding it and reapplying (or switching to liquid metal) might be something to consider.

Associate
Normally if your temps jump through the roof on a benchmark, my 2 initial thoughts are, it's either too much power from an overclock, or the cpu cooler isn't making decent contact/fans not spinning/failed

Soldato
Do you have Hwinfo? you can check the voltage draw, but I'd just reseat the cpu cooler just tick the box and get if off the list.
He said earlier he's reseated it four times already. I'd find it hard to believe somebody could screw up mounting a cooler that many times in a row. The voltages in the screenshots look fine too and 115W peak is nothing outrageous for a 4790K. Still think I'm right, personally.

Associate
i'm leaning towards a motherboard fault. if having reseated the cpu cooler hasn't worked then that maybe your issue. have you tried re-applying the thermal paste for safety?

Associate
OP
So everytime I have reseated the cooler I have replaced the paste as well. the fact that sometimes it works fine and others it doesnt just screams something is not working correctly. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom