• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 5820K upgrade to i7 14700K or wait?

Associate
OP
Many thanks for all your replies. If I was gaming, I'd look at AMD but the 14700K suits me for my productivity needs. I don't see anything better coming soon so I'll be buying in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Soldato
if its mainly productivity could you eek an extra year or 2 out with a high core Xeon; a 2699v4 is expensive but something like 2683v4 are pretty damn cheap (under £40 and 16 cores)

Last edited:
Soldato
10% and 3% faster.
You might want to read it again (presuming you did in the first place) but the numbers mentioned by Puget were Intel faster by up to 30% in LongGOP codecs like H.264/HEVC and 10% in most other things.

In things like Processing 4K H.264 the difference is even more in Intel's favour with the 14700K scoring 72% higher than either the Ryzen 7950X or 7900X (I've highlighted the relevant numbers in red)

53540450364_ba4ce1565e_h.jpg

Many thanks for all your replies. If I was gaming, I'd look at AMD but the 14700K suits me for my productivity needs. I don't see anything better coming soon so I'll be buying in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Enjoy! The difference you experience between your old and new system using Premiere Pro should keep a smile on your face for a few weeks at least. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks again all. I've just bought the following:
0g2Cu9B.png

I have to wait on the cpu being restocked but that's ok as I also need to wait on a free adapter place for my NH-D15 coming from Noctua.
Let us know how it goes. I'm in exactly the same boat with 5820k and would like to know if you can "feel" a difference rather than just what benchmarks say

Soldato
APU won't give you the same boost as dedicated GPU

Won’t give as large a boost as all video cards is more accurate.

I’m not sure what the theoretical maximum of an APU would be but its certainly more than most video cards and massively more cost effective and power efficient.

Associate
I remember the glory days with when you'd get 2x the CPU performance every year, or even less than a year, and with a GPU treble the FPS in Quake 2/3 every year, and now you have to wait 8 years for a doubling of performance, lol.

I kinda liked sticking it to The Man with my SL2QG @ 448mhz

Soldato
I remember the glory days with when you'd get 2x the CPU performance every year, or even less than a year, and with a GPU treble the FPS in Quake 2/3 every year, and now you have to wait 8 years for a doubling of performance, lol.

I kinda liked sticking it to The Man with my SL2QG @ 448mhz

Was going to say in even six months you could see a doubling. Steep prices though.

Associate
Time to upgrade my 5820k I think... reading through this thread after a search seems the OP @Jiffy was in EXACTLY same situation as me now. How did the upgrade go, feel the benefit? Especially for video and photo editing/processing?

My only annoyance is the motherboards dont seem to have anywhere near as many SATA ports as my old X99. I'm running with 8 4/6TB drives and 2 SSD's. I can probably consolidate a bit but still want a lot onboard storage.

Is 14700K still a good option as few months later? Anything else I should consider?

Man of Honour
My only annoyance is the motherboards dont seem to have anywhere near as many SATA ports as my old X99. I'm running with 8 4/6TB drives and 2 SSD's. I can probably consolidate a bit but still want a lot onboard storage.
Z790 Creator, Z790 Tomahawk MAX and Z790 Riptide all have 8.

Anything else I should consider?
AMD Epyc 4004 might be of interest if/when they show up, they're the same as the Ryzen 7000, but with validated ECC.

Associate
Ended up getting Z790 Riptide WiFi, 14900k and a new NVME drive. All installed pretty nicely and got up and running on fresh Windows install... after downloading WiFi drivers to a USB stick.

Happy with the performance increase, certainly my Photoshop actions and video editing are noticeably faster. I've ready all about it but yeh the CPU is challenge to keep cool - 100degC!!!

Back
Top Bottom