• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i9-9900k only $534/£500

Soldato
I don't need to justify anything, benchmarks do that for me.
You are deluded though, I have seen countless posts from you try to sell people on vega over a 1080 because you think its faster.
Same as you in the intel threads, trying to ram ryzen down peoples throats.

You seem to be especially confuse these days :p

Person types, I'd rather have a Vega 56 over a 1080 for reasons.
Gavin reads, The GTX1080 is crap. Vega 56 is amazing.

Person says, I'd go with Ryzen because better.
Gavin reads, Buy Ryzen or I'll come to your home and ram a CPU down your throat.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the point of even fluffing up the 12 core Threadripper in an i9 9900K thread? 2 different markets there and for consumer workloads, if the 8700K is anything to go by, the 9900K should be a better CPU.
If you don't use the cores then buying Threadripper or Skylake-X is an exercise in futility.

Soldato
What's the point of even fluffing up the 12 core Threadripper in an i9 9900K thread? 2 different markets there and for consumer workloads, if the 8700K is anything to go by, the 9900K should be a better CPU.
If you don't use the cores then buying Threadripper or Skylake-X is an exercise in futility.

Fluffing. Interesting word... If fluffing is comparing then the point would obvious as the 9900K will get fluffed against whole range of Ryzen parts.

Associate
Feels like you're comparing apples to oranges and it's going to inevitably end poorly for your comparison since the 9900K will most likely be a much better CPU for a lot of non-professional workloads.
You could even do that with TR vs 2700X, 2700X is a much better CPU for 99% of the users on this forum and most people whom would also be interested in the 9900K. Now whether the 9900K will be a better buy than the current 2700X and 8700K remains to be seen, but again, TR vs consumer CPU is oranges to apples.

Soldato
Feels like you're comparing apples to oranges and it's going to inevitably end poorly for your comparison since the 9900K will most likely be a much better CPU for a lot of non-professional workloads.
You could even do that with TR vs 2700X, 2700X is a much better CPU for 99% of the users on this forum and most people whom would also be interested in the 9900K. Now whether the 9900K will be a better buy than the current 2700X and 8700K remains to be seen, but again, TR vs consumer CPU is oranges to apples.

If Intel are around £350, then that's deep in threadripper territory. The 2900X will probably the most direct competitor.

Soldato
When is the NDA up on these?

-edit
I am specifically wondering if the 8 thread, no HT chip has been launched on purpose as without HT it can reach a faster boost on all cores due to less heat gen, will clock higher, and as it is no HT is already partially patched against the issues intel has with security.

I wonder if it will become the go-to gamer chip, and thus will launch at a lower price margin due to this lack of HT, just like intel launch a 4 core chip ;)

Soldato
The way I see it is TR can play games just fine. Any Ryzen cpu can. In fact for that reason I struggle to recommend any Intel cpu if I'm honest. Why pay more when you can pay less and get more cores for if you ever need em. Plus If anything, most of them will go past their Intel counterparts in the future even in games. Maybe some of you will disagree and you want that extra fps for today but for me I don't see the difference. All I see is that all these processors are flying in games.

Permabanned
The reality is any cpu is good enough from both sides, some suit others better as in those who want the absolute highest FPS, some need more cores. most will be somewhere in the middle where bang for buck is most important.

That’s the beauty of the current situation lots more choice and better value for money, which is ultimately the most beneficial.

Associate
The reality is any cpu is good enough from both sides, some suit others better as in those who want the absolute highest FPS, some need more cores. most will be somewhere in the middle where bang for buck is most important.

That’s the beauty of the current situation lots more choice and better value for money, which is ultimately the most beneficial.
+1

Soldato
I don't need to justify anything, benchmarks do that for me.
You are deluded though, I have seen countless posts from you try to sell people on vega over a 1080 because you think its faster.
Same as you in the intel threads, trying to ram ryzen down peoples throats.

Show me where tried to push Ryzen down the throats of people, and where I am selling Vega over 1080.
Tbh the latter makes some sense, given the current pricing and performance you can get from the Red Devil with barely overclocking & downvolting it..

Have a look at the Vega 64 owners thread what I am talking about, or the benchmarks discussions like Firestrike one :)

And I am not happy having posted those settings, for different reason, and people beat my watercooled GTX1080 @ 2190 with a Vega 64 at sub 300W. For two years was holding the crown on that price/perf segment :mad:

Man of Honour

I might be talking rubbish but pretty sure I saw OEM 1920x at ~£299.99 a couple of months ago (at a reputable seller I have used before). I was looking into it but the motherboard cost put me off, I found a x399 board for £150 that normally sells for £300 but it was some dodgy niche etailer where I could see them not fulfilling the order and then I'd be lumbered with a useless cpu or have to work out £200+ on a board from somewhere reputable.

It was around the time the 1700x first dropped under £200 (which obviously have been superseded by 1800x under £200 now).

Last edited:
Soldato
If only the motherboards weren't so pricey!

@HangTime
The best and cheapest X470 board goes for £210. That is the MSI M7 (a quite a few people have clocked 2700X @ 4.5 with 4000Mhz C16 ram).
Following up with the Gaming 7 going for £230, and I am not going to even point the Asus taxed one (Ch7).

The MSI X399 is the cheapest board at £275 brand new tonight. Given the extra PCI lanes, size of the board and what you can get out of it, I believe it worth the extra £65 over the X470 M7 or £45 over the Gaming 7.

So if someone goes down the route of Raid NVME, SLI/CF etc, is not that bad deal of the board

Also quadchannel RAM OCUK has 3600 16GB for £274, or (quad) HyperX Predator 3200Mhz C16 16GB for £182 somewhere else in UK... Or 3000Mhz teamgroup for sub £180.
(need to check if compatible with motherboard...)

Associate
???
First of all I highly doubt any people have clocked the 2700X to 4.5Ghz all core on anything but exotic cooling, and 4000Mhz C16 also sounds exaggerated since Ryzen 2nd gen tops out at 4.2~4.3Ghz all core and around 3600Mhz for RAM.
Secondly I wouldn't recommend any of the MSI X470 motherboards because they're a few tiers bellow other options, even cheaper options like the ASUS X470 Prime Pro which OCUK sells for £159. MSI X470 Gaming M7 sports 4C029N high side and 4C024N low side MOSFETs while the ASUS X470 Prime Pro has IR3553, both have 6 real phases, MSI M7 uses doublers. The Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 has a good VRM, but it's 5 phases doubled with IR3553 mosfets, while the ASUS X470 CH7 has a similar scheme with IR3555 mosfets, of course both are pretty overkill for Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen, but all things considered I'd pick the CH7 over the Gaming 7. The X470 Strix is another good shout since it also has IR3555 with 6 phases (no doubling scheme).
Also this is the cheapest X470 board on OCUK: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-56z-gi.html

Additionally I would not recommend HyperX Predator kits for Ryzen, a lot of people were reporting issues with them on hardwareluxx, best is to find a B-die kit if you want to get higher memory clocks.

Slightly off topic, but I felt that I needed to do a buyers beware to what Panos said.

Back
Top Bottom