• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i9-9900k only $534/£500

D3K

D3K

Soldato
My 2 cents - this is the first chip to get me interested in an upgrade since 4790k, primarily because I want to see 5ghz out of the box.

What is the AMD alternative?

Associate
You'll be waiting a long time.
;) I know
Strongest I have seen so far is 3800Mhz 16-21-21 ram and 4.35Ghz for CPU (PBO + performance enhancer level 2) that is with a 2 dimm board and new Hynix C-die
For 4.5Ghz CPU and 4000 c16, I need proof as this is not the first time I see posts like this from him

Soldato
;) I know
Strongest I have seen so far is 3800Mhz 16-21-21 ram and 4.35Ghz for CPU (PBO + performance enhancer level 2) that is with a 2 dimm board and new Hynix C-die
For 4.5Ghz CPU and 4000 c16, I need proof as this is not the first time I see posts like this from him

I've seen quite a few posts like this too from him and his friends, none of them can back it up though.....

Soldato
My 2 cents - this is the first chip to get me interested in an upgrade since 4790k, primarily because I want to see 5ghz out of the box.

I was interested too. In fact.. I've already bough my ddr4 and NVME on preparation. But if this pricing turns out to be true forget it. Absolute madness. How can they charge so much for yet another refresh? How much will they charge for their 7nm chips!? I will wait to see what Zen 2 brings.

Soldato
@Panos if you could find the screenshot for Ryzen @ 4.5Ghz and 4000 c16 ram on Air/watercooling I would be appreciated.

Why is 4000Mhz CAS 16 important for some reason?

Yeah it's pretty much the CPU Skylake/Kabylake should have been, its just very late to the party and very broken. As for what Intel will try and match this up with who knows, probably the 2900X. Maybe the 2700X depending on how Intel price the platform.

I have a suspicion AMD will have the Ryzen7 2800X out around the same time though.

Soldato
You'll be waiting a long time.
;) I know

Found this https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8eaves/2700x_up_to_45_ghz_in_single_threaded_loads/ . Seems like you can fool the XFR a bit to get 4.5. Granted the ram isnt 4ghz :p

Disregarding what is on the market for a second, i personally think that just looking at what GIGAHERTZ something is running at and using it as the only performance indicator is a big mistake. GIGAHERTZ!!! isnt everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Found this https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8eaves/2700x_up_to_45_ghz_in_single_threaded_loads/ . Seems like you can fool the XFR a bit to get 4.5. Granted the ram isnt 4ghz :p

Disregarding what is on the market for a second, i personally think that just looking at what GIGAHERTZ something is running at and using it as the only performance indicator is a big mistake. GIGAHERTZ!!! isnt everything.
Of course you are right. However.... devils advocate here. With SO MANY unoptimized, old engine, pre alpha games on the market now, Ghz is actually becoming increasingly important (certainly I find). Been playing a lot of SCUM last few days and my CPU is absolutely pinned on one core the whole time. MOR Hertz would really help me here.

Associate
@BTVA That's still only on 1 core since it's using bus clock overclocking and PBO to get that high, there are too many caveats to make it worthwhile since it requires you to raise the bus clock pretty high and that will affect PCI-E and SATA devices. Not to mention very few 2700Xs can actually do it, akin to 5.3Ghz on the 8700K.

@beany_bot SCUM is still early alpha, but if you play lots of indie games it's always better to go for the CPU that has faster single core, be it 9900K or 3700X.

Soldato
@BTVA That's still only on 1 core since it's using bus clock overclocking and PBO to get that high, there are too many caveats to make it worthwhile since it requires you to raise the bus clock pretty high and that will affect PCI-E and SATA devices. Not to mention very few 2700Xs can actually do it, akin to 5.3Ghz on the 8700K.

@beany_bot SCUM is still early alpha, but if you play lots of indie games it's always better to go for the CPU that has faster single core, be it 9900K or 3700X.

My best results on Piledriver were using a bus clock of 302MHz and a 16x multi, (4.8) just for info.

Associate
Different architectures, from what I recall Bulldozer & derivatives had different clocks for PCI-E and other devices. On Ryzen a lot more devices are tied to the bus clock, so overclocking it can cause some issues. I may be wrong but I think everything from PCI-E, SATA, USB to ICs like on board audio are tied to the bus clock for Ryzen.
A small bump might not affect much, but it's a proceed at your own risk kind of situation.

Associate

I well understand that ;) I didn't want to push them that hard

Soldato
Different architectures, from what I recall Bulldozer & derivatives had different clocks for PCI-E and other devices. On Ryzen a lot more devices are tied to the bus clock, so overclocking it can cause some issues. I may be wrong but I think everything from PCI-E, SATA, USB to ICs like on board audio are tied to the bus clock for Ryzen.
A small bump might not affect much, but it's a proceed at your own risk kind of situation.

I was watching a de8auer video and he mentioned just this. If you overclock asynchronously you can get into timer issues with Windows and potential lock up if some SATA ports are used. Seems more trouble than its worth to mess with the base clock, but I'm no expert ;)

Soldato

Yes you could lock the PCIe bus to 100MHz and use dividers to gain the best memory clock. Similar to front side bus days. I have not tried changing the base clock with Ryzen, a couple of MHz may be feasible but not really needed.

Anyway off topic so I will desist now.

Back
Top Bottom