• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9 9900k

Hardly any difference with CR1 or 2. I am running at stock timings, that's the difference.

de070845-1218-4c2a-b4e0-49bb6d8a1f85-original.jpg

No no no not low clock super pi!!!

Yo know it makes sense!

I see the mad fin is at it again, 5.5 on mocf. 0.o

Be interested to see what vcore that chip needs on a different board... :rolleyes:

I'm now getting tempted to have a play... :D

Go on Doug, you know you want to, there Fab cpu's tbh, mem tweaking is also a joy on the right board.
Yeah Luumi got 1st 7ghz cinebench chip record even though it's not his, still great results from him, as always.

My retail 9900k arrived today. The box/packaging is pretty nice. Mine arrived cracked though which is a tad annoying.

2080 ti to come next week then I can get this system setup.

Some stats taken from silicon lottery. Keep in mind their sample size is small and may not represent your own chances when buying a 9900k.

I think this is useful info for those overclocking. No info yet on why those particular voltages were chosen or any temperature data.

As of 11/17/18, 100% of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 4.8GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 48
  • BCLK: 100.0
  • CPU Vcore: 1.275V
  • AVX Offset: 2

As of 11/17/18, the top 82% of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 4.9GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 49
  • CPU Vcore: 1.287V

As of 11/17/18, the top 46% of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 5.0GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 50
  • CPU Vcore: 1.300V

As of 11/17/18, the top 14% of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 51
  • CPU Vcore: 1.312V

There are no 5.2GHz chips being offered and the settings and frequencies above are with non delidded CPUs.

With regards to delidding they say that "Peak core temperatures under a heavy overclocked load typically decrease anywhere from 4°C to 8°C for Intel 9th generation CPUs."

Takeaways from this, 1 in 5 9900ks tops out at around 4.8GHz.

More than 50% of 9900ks wont reach 5GHz(!)

I imagine those numbers will change with a larger sample, and if the voltages were changed then more would hit higher frequencies, but presumably heat is a problem otherwise the vcore they are using would be set higher.

The biggest shock to me is the 5GHz percentage. The numbers lend credence to those reviewers that complained about temps and poor overclocks.

Some updated figures regarding the silicon lottery.

Keep in mind their sample size and that it may not represent your own chances when buying a 9900k.

I think this is useful info for those overclocking. No info yet on why those particular voltages were chosen or any temperature data.

As of 12/07/18, 100% (no change) of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 4.8GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 48
  • CPU Vcore: 1.275V

As of 12/07/18, the top 85% (+3%) of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 4.9GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 49
  • CPU Vcore: 1.287V

As of 12/07/18, the top 41% (-5%) of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 5.0GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 50
  • CPU Vcore: 1.300V

As of 12/07/18, the top 11% (-3%) of tested 9900Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
  • CPU Multiplier: 51
  • CPU Vcore: 1.312V

Silicon lottery now have a larger sample size and as such the percentage of silicon meeting their requirements for each bin has changed.

As of 07/12/18 100% of 9900ks can hit 4.8GHz all core, while there has been an increase in the number of cpus able to hit 4.9GHz by 3% taking the number to 85%.

That's the end of the increases.

For 5.0GHz all core the percentage has dropped by 5% down to 41%. Almost 60% of 9900ks wont reach 5.0GHz all core, or roughly 3 out of every 5 9900ks are failing to reach 5.0GHz all core at the settings listed above.

Next a drop of 3% down from last month bringing the percent of 9900ks able to reach 5.1GHz all core to just 11%.
Just over 1 in 10 of the samples they are binning can hit 5.1GHz stable all core at their specified settings.

As always with these numbers there is no telling how representative of the 9900k supply as a whole the stock silicon lottery receives is. However as they bin more CPUs the numbers should more accurately reflect the silicon lottery for those considering buying retail or tray.

Finally, still no 5.2GHz bin listed. This doesn't mean they don't exist, there are probably 5.1GHz samples that will do 5.2GHz, but judging by the fact that no one is offering binned 5.2GHz 9900ks (when there are clearly people willing to pay for it) the number of stable 5.2GHz chips must be tiny.

There's a few doing [email protected] or less. (Non axv)
I know there are 9900k that can do 5.3 and higher. I've seen some crazy ocs at low voltages.

The reason i quote the silicon lottery figures is a) they are the only place that release them b) their testing is fixed and standard across all their samples c) it is nice to have the data available for reference.

You can bet if it was easy to get a stable 5.2GHz or 5.3GHz then Ocuk, caseking, SL and anywhere else that does binning would be doing it. They wouldn't ignore a potential profit.

The fact that they arent says that the higher bins are much harder to come by at stable and reasonable settings. 5.1GHz is where all the above stop with their bins. No doubt some of those 5.1s will go higher, as i said, but no one is willing to sell a 9900k as stable at 5.2GHz/5.3GHz yet despite people asking for them.

@Distracted You're spot on. They need to bin chips at reasonable volts for 24/7 operation. My 9900k can run 5ghz at 1.3v but can't do 5.1 @ 1.325. In that sense, my chip would fail to match their 5.1 criteria.

In most of the reviews also, it's commonly mentioned that these chips cap out between 4.9 - 5.1 under normal OC options. They just don't have a lot of headroom as the architecture is clearly being pushed to the limit. Ofcourse like with anything electronics, you'll have the occasional outlier.

@Distracted You're spot on. They need to bin chips at reasonable volts for 24/7 operation. My 9900k can run 5ghz at 1.3v but can't do 5.1 @ 1.325. In that sense, my chip would fail to match their 5.1 criteria.

In most of the reviews also, it's commonly mentioned that these chips cap out between 4.9 - 5.1 under normal OC options. They just don't have a lot of headroom as the architecture is clearly being pushed to the limit. Ofcourse like with anything electronics, you'll have the occasional outlier.

They also have restrictions based on the audience they cater to. Having to make sure a bin works with an aio limits how much heat it can put out which limits how much voltage they can put in to get stability.

As you point out, the headroom for OC on the 9 series is also more limited than with previous gens.

There are certainly higher clocking chips in the wild, but the binning stats taken in context are a useful indicator i think.

They also have restrictions based on the audience they cater to. Having to make sure a bin works with an aio limits how much heat it can put out which limits how much voltage they can put in to get stability.

As you point out, the headroom for OC on the 9 series is also more limited than with previous gens.

There are certainly higher clocking chips in the wild, but the binning stats taken in context are a useful indicator i think.

Temps are crazy on this thing. Playing an hour BF V multiplayer which actually stresses the CPU heavily.
4.9ghz @ 1.27v with LLC Turbo = package temp of 79
5.0ghz @ 1.3v with LLC Turbo = package temp of 93!

Dark Rock 4 cooler with fan on max in a Haf X case. This chip need a good AIO at minimum. Goes without saying, I'll be running at 4.9ghz.

That's not what I usually see, my core temps are higher than my package temperature, sometimes significantly (avx workloads for example). 5-6 degrees or so. I consider that significant.

It doesn't worry me as I temperatures aren't bad. Just my observation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom