1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

I9 9900k

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Nelly, Oct 16, 2018.

1. MaXxBoulton

Hitman

the problem was getting the heat from the die to the IHS, if you direct die then the problem is getting the heat from the die to said cooler, the problem still exists.
    this is where liquid metal cam in. Die > IHS or Die > Cooler when using liquid metal this it was the really game changer

going Die > IHS > Cooler with liquid metal show next to no difference in in comparison to just Die > Cooler (again with liquid metal)
    this is why i thought it was a thing of the past.

2. moorhen2

Gangster

Direct die cooling a 9900k gains you between 4c-8c, this is what I had on my previous 9900k compared to non delided temps.

3. MaXxBoulton

Hitman

after delidding what TIM did you use?

4. moorhen2

Gangster

TG Conductonaut liquid metal

5. MaXxBoulton

Hitman

refer to my last post..

its not the Direct die cooling that dropped your temps, its the liquid metals abilty to move the heat from the die to the IHS or in you case the cooler that as fixed the problem

Thermal Grizzly conductonaut - 73 W/mk
    ARCTIC MX-2 - 5.6 W/mK (better than stock intel)
    Pure indium 86 W/mK

the problem with the indium in intel made it about .4mm thick and that add thermal resistance, they also need to add other metals so thay can use it as a solder interface interface materiel. this will drop it below the well known liquid metal (Gallium) to about 47w/mK

https://www.indium.com/thermal-management/thermal-k-list/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:43 PM
  6. Distracted

Wise Guy

I previously mentioned Standby Voltage in this thread so I want to give an update regarding it. On the Maximus XI Formula leaving it on auto and exceeding a certain voltage or frequency would push the standby voltage much higher than the default 1v (ish).
    The same behaviour occurs with the Maximus XI Extreme even when LN2 mode is not selected.

After some searching I found a post from Elmor stating that the standby voltage changes above 5.2GHz (?) according to a rule in the bios that informs the auto setting. He states that the increased voltage should be fine for benching.

That is from this thread
    https://community.hwbot.org/topic/164325-maximus-ix-apex-overclocking-thread/page/2/

While I can see the question asked about whether or not increased standby voltage is fine for 24/7 overclocks I can't see an answer from Elmor about it.

I'm going to continue searching for the answer to this and setting the standby voltage to 1v manually until I've determined that a higher voltage is safe when not using exotic cooling.

7. beany_bot

Mobster

I thought the 9900k used solder??

8. moorhen2

Gangster

Set both PLL Termination and CPU Standby to 1.1v and forget.

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/186670-rog-maximus-xi/page/8/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 1:04 PM
  9. moorhen2

Gangster

It does, but I don't see your point ?

10. beany_bot

Mobster

So why would you delid it? (and how!?) I've seen Der8aur delid ryzen (not easy) and liquid metal it and it made literally no difference because it is soldered in the first place.
    Dellidding is only worth doing for toothpaste chips.

11. moorhen2

Gangster

Have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LecJjk-LrI

12. beany_bot

Mobster

Thats cool. Kindof crazy that even with solder this is "worth doing". I thought it was just intels toothpaste that was a problem. Can you lap the die or is that just madness?

13. moorhen2

Gangster

Some people lap the die. Beware though, my previous 9900K died a few weeks back, I must have damaged some of the traces on the die when removing the solder, the IMC was never the same afterwards, and it died completely a few weeks after.

My new 9900K is just as good overclocking wise, uses about the same voltages, but the thermals are slightly better on my new one, so wont be Direct die cooling this one, no need.;)

14. beany_bot

Mobster

Oh don't worry, you wont catch me delidding a CPU any time soon. Too risky for me. I'm in my 30's so I am currently throwing all my cash at my mortgage, so don't really have much disposable to risk it. Maybe in the future I will experiment more.

15. Distracted

Wise Guy

I've made some changes to my setup since the screenshots i posted last.

• 2x 360 20mm xspc tx360
    • 1x 120 20mm xspc tx120
    • The GPU is now in the same loop
    • The VRMs are currently not in the loop
    • The CPU block is still the EK Velocity. Now mounted upside down (not goofy) with long M3 screws.
    • More liquid metal than usual on the die
    • Maximus XI Formula has been replaced with the Maximus XI Extreme
    • Still no chiller
    • Ambient temps are higher

Result:

5.4GHz 1hr Realbench stable, no AVX offset, no chilling of the loop. No WHEA.
    vcore is set as 1.4v in BIOS and LLC is level 6. Underload the vcore droops to 1.332v

Also stable in Apex legends, Div 2, Overwatch etc.

Temps at idle/browsing are 30s and temps while using the machine for more demanding tasks are 40s. I don't know what it is that has changed, or whether it is the combination of all the recent changes I listed above, but temps on the core are much, much better now. So much better than they were previously. The difference is huge.

[​IMG]

https://i.postimg.cc/FR6ZqWP8/Screenshot-180.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:17 PM
  16. moorhen2

Gangster

1 hour run of Aida64. 5.2ghz, vcore 1.285v and LLC7 in bios, load voltage of 1.243v. Max temp on lowest core 64c, highest core 70c.

[​IMG]

17. moorhen2

Gangster

@Distracted. Cant see much in the way of numbers in your screenies, what are your Realbench temps like at 5.4ghz ?

18. Distracted

Wise Guy

I've added a direct link to the full size screenshot - sry, I thought you could reach it from the image in the forums. If you follow the link and hit download original (if you want to) you can see the thing in full size and it is much clearer. I'm not sure why my images are all blurry.

Here's a cropped version:
    [​IMG]

19. moorhen2

Gangster

Very nice mate, keep an eye on your CPU Standby and CPU PLL's OC voltages. Once you go over the 52 multiplier these jump up considerably.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:40 PM
  20. Distracted

Wise Guy

I've noticed :mad: I've set the standby at 1v for now like I did previously. I'll adjust the PLL as you suggest. ty

Edit: @moorhen2 do you know what the default values should be and which pll value I should be adjusting in the bios? There is PLL Termination voltage and then in another tab there are several other PLL values :confused:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 6:33 PM