• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Got my 9900K today paired with the Gigabyte Auros Z390 pro:D had a Gigabyte Z170 /7700k before and just fancied an upgrade.

Funny thing is i did not need to reinstall windows it just booted up and worked and its showing and running fine with no problems. i thought it would require a fresh install ?:confused:

Associate
A fresh install isn't required but it is probably 'best practice'. Windows will silently install everything you need for your new hardware if anything is missing. Sometimes you get the 'getting things ready' screen after changing a motherboard while windows adds or removes stuff.

It is worth checking to make sure no drivers were missed. And if you have any problems in the future a fresh install may not be a bad idea.

This has been my experience while swapping and changing things to test.

Soldato
A fresh install isn't required but it is probably 'best practice'. Windows will silently install everything you need for your new hardware if anything is missing. Sometimes you get the 'getting things ready' screen after changing a motherboard while windows adds or removes stuff.

It is worth checking to make sure no drivers were missed. And if you have any problems in the future a fresh install may not be a bad idea.

This has been my experience while swapping and changing things to test.

Hi thanks

Yeah i will probably do a fresh install at some point but what was throwing me was the fact i thought windows activation was tied to the motherboard or has that changed now ?

The only drivers missing were the network drivers everything else was fine.

Associate
Hi thanks

Yeah i will probably do a fresh install at some point but what was throwing me was the fact i thought windows activation was tied to the motherboard or has that changed now ?

The only drivers missing were the network drivers everything else was fine.

Give it a couple of hours. If you don't get the 'activate windows' message then you are good to go. Sometimes it doesn't appear right away and at other times it doesn't appear at all. I've seen both with a motherboard replacement.

Associate
Are we expecting a higher clocked 9900K or replacement anytime soon? I know they’ve launched a refreshed refresh based on a tweaked manufacturing process, but the main distinction seems to be they’ve just missed the GPU off some models.

Associate
Are we expecting a higher clocked 9900K or replacement anytime soon? I know they’ve launched a refreshed refresh based on a tweaked manufacturing process, but the main distinction seems to be they’ve just missed the GPU off some models.

There are low powered versions and versions without the GPU and I think there is also a version with a new stepping. However there has been nothing official about a 9900k replacement aside from the leaked roadmap.

Soldato
Give it a couple of hours. If you don't get the 'activate windows' message then you are good to go. Sometimes it doesn't appear right away and at other times it doesn't appear at all. I've seen both with a motherboard replacement.

Will do i bought a spare windows 10 key just in case but hopefully i wont need to use it.

Soldato
Over the years, Windows has become less fussy about such things, likewise, Windows does not now suffer from "time bloat" anywhere near as bad as it once did. Manages itself much more efficiently on any half decent system.

That it good to know thanks and the way it should be.

Associate
Will do i bought a spare windows 10 key just in case but hopefully i wont need to use it.
You should be able to click the activation tab in settings and select 'recently changed hardware' (or similar) and reactivate using the old key if all you've done is upgraded a few components. There shouldn't be a need for a new key. Assuming it doesn't activate automatically of course.

Soldato
You should be able to click the activation tab in settings and select 'recently changed hardware' (or similar) and reactivate using the old key if all you've done is upgraded a few components. There shouldn't be a need for a new key. Assuming it doesn't activate automatically of course.

It showing as activated anyway i did not know about not needing a key but it was only a tenner.

Associate
My work machine's install started out as a Windows 7 Dell OEM install, was upgraded to Windows 8.1, and then to Windows 10. Still the same install, now in it's second machine (first machine was a Precision with a Xeon E3-1240v2, newer machine is a XPS 9300 with a i7-6700). During that time it was cloned from a 300GB Velociraptor to a 480GB SanDisk UltraII SSD. Never asked for activation, and it runs great still

Associate
Testing 5.3GHz for 1 hour of AIDA64 (CPU, Cache) at 1.252v under load max temp 81C. Bought the delid kit and copper IHS. I'm going to delid it next weekend. Hope I do it right.

2ChS0oM.jpg

Soldato
Can someone check\help please.

I killed off my Z370 mobo which was running windows 7 64 with a 8700K delieded @ 5.2 and my temps never got higher than 70c on full load
I have a alphacool 280 CPU that does not get hot to touch.

I now have a MSI Z390M with a 9700K at stock everything. And my idle temps are 40-45c
If I run CINEBENCH it goes up to 80c. But after the idle come down to 33c, before going back up to 40-45c

I upgraded windows 7 to windows 10(spit). Would that make a difference.
If I don't move my mouse or anything the temps are 42C. This can't be right...can it?

Soldato
9700k and 9900k are notorious heat generators.

:(

I don't understand why on win 10 the MHz bounce from 800- 4700.
I do have balanced power in the settings.

edit= I went in to the very awful bios and it had set the pump speed to low.
I have turned off smart fan(not so smart) and now my temps a 23-25c idle and 65C benching.

Last edited:
Associate
:(

I don't understand why on win 10 the MHz bounce from 800- 4700.
I do have balanced power in the settings.

edit= I went in to the very awful bios and it had set the pump speed to low.
I have turned off smart fan(not so smart) and now my temps a 23-25c idle and 65C benching.
The original idle temps you posted were high. I don't know why that was the case but it's good you've got it sorted. 40s is not where I would expect a 9700k to idle at all.

Back
Top Bottom