Ice Hockey - you can't beat it

Soldato
In the UK, the rules are 2 fights and your out of the game.
You get four minutes in the penalty box each for the first fight (2+2 Roughing) then 2 + 2 + Game for the second fight.

In Europe its more strict - one fight and your gone.
In the NHL, its pretty similar to here - 5 minutes first fight and 5 + Game the second.

Soldato
they way it works is basically once they dropped the gloves, they already know they going in the sin bin, so they let them fight and then off to the bin :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Personally I think fighting in hockey at all should result in be banned from several games.

A couple years ago now, i think, a player had his neck broken in three places when he was attacked from behind and slammed face first into the ice. Now the player is taking the guy to court.

Yea, the odd scuffle now and then is fine but I think things are getting out of hand

They are there to play the sport of hockey, not to box or cage fight.

Soldato
Stiff_Cookie said:
Personally I think fighting in hockey at all should result in be banned from several games.

A couple years ago now, i think, a player had his neck broken in three places when he was attacked from behind and slammed face first into the ice. Now the player is taking the guy to court.

Yea, the odd scuffle now and then is fine but I think things are getting out of hand

They are there to play the sport of hockey, not to box or cage fight.

good example of nothing to do with fighting. that incident, a player jumped him from behind and then slammed him. hardly a fight

"Moore suffered fractured neck vertebrae, a concussion and facial injuries in the third period of the March game at General Motors Place, after Bertuzzi sucker-punched him from behind with a gloved right hand.

Moore, who became a free agent in the off-season, hasn't been able to exercise since the attack, the lawsuit states.

The sucker punch was viewed as revenge for an incident involving Moore and Canucks star Markus Naslund a few weeks earlier.

In a Feb.16 contest between the Canucks and Avalanche in Denver, the bad blood began between Moore and the Canucks after the Avalanche rookie tabled a questionable open-ice hit to the head of the Canucks captain."

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
vanpeebles said:
good example of nothing to do with fighting. that incident, a player jumped him from behind and then slammed him. hardly a fight

"Moore suffered fractured neck vertebrae, a concussion and facial injuries in the third period of the March game at General Motors Place, after Bertuzzi sucker-punched him from behind with a gloved right hand.

Moore, who became a free agent in the off-season, hasn't been able to exercise since the attack, the lawsuit states.

The sucker punch was viewed as revenge for an incident involving Moore and Canucks star Markus Naslund a few weeks earlier.

In a Feb.16 contest between the Canucks and Avalanche in Denver, the bad blood began between Moore and the Canucks after the Avalanche rookie tabled a questionable open-ice hit to the head of the Canucks captain."

I know it wasnt a fight, it doesnt matter. Injuries like that could happen in a fight during the game. I dont think there should be allowed fighting for the simple matter that it distracts from the game. Almost any other sport if a player would to constantly beat on the head of an opposing player they would be removed from the game and punished for more than 4 minutes. Heck even in boxing, IIRC, shots to the back of the head are illegal.

Also, its unprofessional IMO. It doesnt matter if the fans enjoy seeing a fight break out IMO. I think punishments for fighting should go beyond the game and into future games and the pocket of the players involved.

Soldato
I used to go to the Ice Hockey in the "good old days" of the British Championships. Are there any British players left in the teams, especially the "Elite" league ones?

I prefered it when teams were limited to 3 imports per team.

Soldato
The ELITE league has an 11 import limit which is likely to be dropped to 10 next season.
Nothing like the ISL days...

The Bertuzzi/Moore incident is just an example of how people can sustain injuries playing the game - the only way to minimise the risk would be to make it a non-contact sport which would make it pretty pointless.
That said, the women's game is non-contact and still pretty exciting.
Moore's neck wasn't broken by Bertuzzi's punch.
It was broken in the ensuing 'pile-on' of Colorado players.

Injuries happen all the time in ice hockey - they do in football and any other professional sport.
Jaromir Jagr was injured in the olympics when Ruutu put in a legit check - they threw Ruutu out of the game, which I suppose is fair enough but he was playing by the rules.

Associate
Stiff_Cookie said:
I know it wasnt a fight, it doesnt matter. Injuries like that could happen in a fight during the game. I dont think there should be allowed fighting for the simple matter that it distracts from the game. Almost any other sport if a player would to constantly beat on the head of an opposing player they would be removed from the game and punished for more than 4 minutes. Heck even in boxing, IIRC, shots to the back of the head are illegal.

Also, its unprofessional IMO. It doesnt matter if the fans enjoy seeing a fight break out IMO. I think punishments for fighting should go beyond the game and into future games and the pocket of the players involved.

In my opinion the small fights (as in 1 vs 1, full line brawls are unacceptable imo) are a part of the game. The refferes are pretty quick to break the fight up if it becomes one sided or if it is not a "fair" fight (as in one big player against a smaller one), so serious injuries are pretty rare because of fights.
There are probobly many more serious injuries in ice hockey due to legal hits, than fights.

Associate
I just want to say congratulations to all Elite League teams this season for a great year. The Vipers where my team of the year behind the Giants of cource, to come up from the BNL and challenge for the title as they did was amazing and I so cant wait for next season and the playoffs.

Incase you havent already guesed I am a Belfast Giants supporter. :D

Is there anyone going to the EIHL playoff weekend in Nottingham?

Soldato
xknight2000 said:
I just want to say congratulations to all Elite League teams this season for a great year. The Vipers where my team of the year behind the Giants of cource, to come up from the BNL and challenge for the title as they did was amazing and I so cant wait for next season and the playoffs.

Incase you havent already guesed I am a Belfast Giants supporter. :D

Is there anyone going to the EIHL playoff weekend in Nottingham?

Cheers and congrats on taking the league - it was yours well before Theo arrived so its a credit to your club that you've held firm all season (except a few wobbles towards the end :p )

I'll be at the finals as will ezabella45. Can't wait:D

We'll be going to all of the group fixtures too (apart from basingstoke - too far to drive!) once they've sorted the bloody schedule out. :rolleyes:

Associate
I see the dates have all been set for the EIHL Playoffs Round Robin stage. I can see Cardiff / Belfast / Nottingham / Newcastle all making it with a Newcastle / Belfast final. Not picking a winner though, it will be to close to call.

Back
Top Bottom