Icecold's mobility thread

Man of Honour
OP
Simple rule of thumb:

It's ok to stretch before lifting as long as you aren't trying to find new range.

Well, unless you're lifting very submaximally.

uv

uv

Soldato
Hey Gents

So, I'm unable to touch my toes with my knees locked. I feel the strain in my hamstring tendons, but as far as I can tell the lack of mobility is either in my upper hamstrings or lower back. I'd like to work on this as I believe it would improve my deadlift and BOR form - any recommendations on mobility work for this specific problem?

Ta la!

Soldato
Being able to touch your toes with your knees locked isn't really relevant here in my opinion. I'll try and explain why.

• Deadlifting/BOR etc... requires you to keep a flat back. Most people can only touch their toes when they bend their backs, if they've locked out their knees.
  • Nobody deadlifts from a starting position of straight legs. If you are. You're doing it wrong.
  • An Olympic bar should be about 9 inches of the ground. The mobility for this is a lot easier.

That said, if you actually want to find out if you have mobility issues in your hamstrings. Sit on the floor with straight legs. Can you sit upright?

There's quite a few exercises to sort out your hamstrings, but lacrosse balls are a good start.

Also, look at this:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/09/high-hamstring-gnar-trigger-points-and-up-streamdown-stream/

and this (just in case)

kd

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato
That said, if you actually want to find out if you have mobility issues in your hamstrings. Sit on the floor with straight legs. Can you sit upright?

Understood on the points, though I'm not doing deads with straight legs :p - it's more of a worry regarding my general mobility.

Regarding sitting upright with straight legs - if I put my legs fully against the floor, then I can sit up to about 80 degress, but not upright - whilst trying, I feel all the strain behind my knees (hammy tendons?).

Will make sure I watch those videos later :)

Soldato
Rogue Europe are sold out unfortunately. I could always ask when they're getting them in.

The Wolverson page loads fine for me, weird. Description =

Compression Mobility Bands are the perfect tool for any athlete looking to improve range, restore joint movement and unglue previously injured tissue.

These bands work in numerous ways; including re-perfusing tissues that have become stiff and cold after injury, and by compressing swelling out of the joints and tissue.

Available in Red or Black

Sounds right...

Associate
Ice,

I tend to end up with a slight ache in my knee (generally only my left) after squats. The ache tends to only appear in the evening, or the day after and lasts for one or two days before subsiding. I wouldn't say it hurts, far from it in fact, it is just a dull ache. I've had no treatment or diagnosis but it feels like my tendons and if I press above & below the patella it eases the ache.

I will absolutely be posting in the form thread towards the end of the week for some feedback but would appreciate any mobility/knee strengthening tips you might have in the meantime?

Cheers :)

Edit: or should I just go search MWOD?

Soldato
Woot. Now the owner of three lacrosse balls (still need some heavy duty tape to make the peanut), red green and blue Pullum bands and the voodoo floss band. Just need a better foam roller (got my eye on the rumble roller or similarly designed ones) and I'll be ready to make an issues/fix list and get to work on them...

Associate
Ice,

I tend to end up with a slight ache in my knee (generally only my left) after squats. The ache tends to only appear in the evening, or the day after and lasts for one or two days before subsiding. I wouldn't say it hurts, far from it in fact, it is just a dull ache. I've had no treatment or diagnosis but it feels like my tendons and if I press above & below the patella it eases the ache.

I will absolutely be posting in the form thread towards the end of the week for some feedback but would appreciate any mobility/knee strengthening tips you might have in the meantime?

Cheers :)

Edit: or should I just go search MWOD?

Spend a lot of time soft tissue-ing/stretching your quads, hip flexors, adductors, hamstrings and calves. Very general but it should help :).

Man of Honour
OP
Tenzo,

Hopefully what you're experiencing is due to some tightness somewhere pulling on your knee. This could be due to squat technique, but is also likely to be mirrored in daily movement (walking) or posture (sitting or leaning). If it is tightness then Dom's advice of attacking all of the soft tissue around the knee is great, because there will be all kinds of compensatory tightness as well as what is causing the initial destabilisation.

Look at your feet too. Make sure they aren't collapsing.

Back
Top Bottom