Icecold's mobility thread

Associate
Hi all, tried to add some front squats to the routine but I'm struggling to keep my back upright. Think it's probably down to ankle mobility - best exercises to sort that out?

Soldato
Am getting a feeling like my hamstring is going to cramp / go snap when doing single leg bridges - from reading around it's down to glute inactivity? I have been working on my hammies strength recently and have also read they may be over powering the glutes and causing the issue

Man of Honour
So, I've decided to work on my mobility and such a lot more. I've not had major issues (aside from the one I'll go into detail about in a moment) but I'm starting to feel like I should have been doing this a long time ago, and the more high endurance stuff I do the more I feel like this is the case.

Anyhow, foam rolling and such has been going fine, if crazy painful. The issue I seem to have (which is quite long-standing really) is that my shoulders aren't great. Really bad self-diagnosis is that my rotator cuff is incredibly weak and when performing movements such as presses things slip about that really shouldn't do. To attempt to remedy this I've been following the exercises in mrthingyx's rotator cuff video but I seem to be running into an issue (with my right shoulder especially) where I can feel things "crunching around" in the shoulder even with extremely low resistance on the band. My left shoulder isn't as bad as this and I'm pretty sure I can feel engagement that suggests things are working when I do the RC exercises.

Does anyone have any better idea of what it could be/what I could do to help? Even lower resistance RC stuff perhaps? I'm happy to get professional advice if need be.

Historically I've been prone to slightly dodgy shoulders whilst performing BP and OHP. I also notice that unless I'm extremely careful I will sometimes experience the weird crunching/movement in my right shoulder when doing almost any kind of movement with it, even if it's not painful the vast majority of the time.

Man of Honour
How irritating - iPhone ate my text.

Short answer:

- see a sports physio
- use isometric equivalents of band work for your RC
- stretch your pecs/lats/shoulder capsules (internal and external rotation work)
- ditch bench: it's gash anyway. ;)

Man of Honour
Cheers for the responses. I'll look into the exercises and see if I can track down a decent sports physio in Manchester :)

To be honest with my schedule atm I'm often not bothering to roll the bench out and instead just doing extra sets of OHP so I'm half way there to ditching bench :p

Soldato
So I'm 10 days post op from my ACL reconstruction and need myself a good foam roller albeit for now just something to lie under my ankle to keep my knee as straight as possible. I'm pretty tall and wide and currently around 19 stone so pretty sure most of those cheaper foam things will just crumple after a few uses, is that TTP The Grid 1.0 my best bet?

Underboss
Just been told about this thread..

hope somebody has some idea what I can do to improve things

ill just summarise

March this year, back injury (3rd time)
following month I started seeing the chiropractor
back feels good now but I have a problem around my hip area
I'm limping slightly and I find it uncomfortable to walk, lift etc.
certainly cant go fast in my job anymore

I have done roller on my leg and used a tennis ball on my buttocks a while ago as I needed to do them

not doing anything at the moment, except see the chiropractor every 4 weeks

Man of Honour
Weak glutes and core. Tight hips.

Cross-band walks, band-resisted side/off-set lunges, lady bum exercises (glute med); couch stretch, planks, side planks and ab roll-outs.

Then start squatting and deadlifting (or, if you're already doing those, do them properly). :)

Remember: your body is just like anything else... it gets used daily and will need maintaining. All of the above should be done weekly by pretty much everybody on the planet.

Underboss
thanks mate !!

I thought I should add, I was given some core exercises to do by my Chiropractor, she told me to go easy and do the level 1 stuff only, I did that one night, felt fine in doing it and afterwards in the evening this was, when I got up the following day, I felt fine until I sat down for breakfast then I was in agony, so I had to put ice on it all day, did goto work, as I was moving around just enough to do so, started clearing up after about 4 days when I had my day off

Man of Honour
thanks mate !!

I thought I should add, I was given some core exercises to do by my Chiropractor, she told me to go easy and do the level 1 stuff only, I did that one night, felt fine in doing it and afterwards in the evening this was, when I got up the following day, I felt fine until I sat down for breakfast then I was in agony, so I had to put ice on it all day, did goto work, as I was moving around just enough to do so, started clearing up after about 4 days when I had my day off

I might just be being dumb here, but what exactly were the 'level 1' core exercises?

No idea...

But core exercises aren't just a "one shot" fix... you have to make your core STRONGER, which means doing them continually.

The next stage is make sure they make fix your posture (no point doing a plank badly, because that will re-inforce bad posture).

Second... if you've got existing tightness in places like your hips and lats, all the core work in theworld is not going to help so you have to loosen those up and strengthen them in the 'right' way to make sure they don't pull you in the wrong directions.

Stop spending your money on a chiropractor and go and find a decent sports physio. They will probably cost about the same... and one should concentrate on enabling you to do whatever you want to, rather than just 'fixing' the symptom.

Back
Top Bottom