Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
I could use some help and I've been pointed to this thread.

I'm overweight and I'm trying to lose some fat, I'm swimming 3 times a week, and walking when I can, short walks during the week (2.7 miles), with normally a longer walk or 2 at the weekends. I've been swimming for a few months and doing the walking for about the last 6 weeks.

I bought some new trainers 2 weeks ago, since then I've had pains in the arches of my feet, then last Thursday walking home, I got really throbbing hip pain, which lasted for several hours after I stopped walking, I was even still a little sore on Saturday.

I honestly don't know where to start on the whole mobility thing.

Caporegime
I could use some help and I've been pointed to this thread.

I'm overweight and I'm trying to lose some fat, I'm swimming 3 times a week, and walking when I can, short walks during the week (2.7 miles), with normally a longer walk or 2 at the weekends. I've been swimming for a few months and doing the walking for about the last 6 weeks.

I bought some new trainers 2 weeks ago, since then I've had pains in the arches of my feet, then last Thursday walking home, I got really throbbing hip pain, which lasted for several hours after I stopped walking, I was even still a little sore on Saturday.

I honestly don't know where to start on the whole mobility thing.

Well for a start where did you buy them from? Did they get fitted for you? Did they put in arch supports?

Associate
After having an issue with my right shoulder whilst benching I thought it was best to first to check the mobilty and do various drills to eliminate this as an issue which would just leave the necessity to correct poor technique.

I found two videos particular useful by Kelly Starrett that have left my shoulders sore but considerably better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUeMFbY6Q4U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDIpEWASS3g

I hope these come in useful for others.

Associate
Just a quick one for you guys, I wondered if you could help me out.

I have a pain in my left heel when I try to point my toes upwards. I've always suffered with a tight hamstring on that leg do I'm guessing it has something to do with that? I have started to play football again so I'd like to try some exercises to help as it gets much worse when playing sports. Could anyone help out a newbie?

Soldato
I tried Kelly Starret's trick of pinning your anterior delt/bicep with an oly bar and collar and rotating through it ("Best internal rotation fix" vid). Holy ****. In combination with rolling and stretching my chest, my shoulder feels so much better.

For a long time, I've had a clicking sound around my shoulder blade when I move my shoulder up and down (like a shrug). It's not painful but is it indicative of any wider mobility issues? I'm doing the various scap mobility exercises with a hockey ball to loosen everything up the click persists.

Man of Honour
Just a quick one for you guys, I wondered if you could help me out.

I have a pain in my left heel when I try to point my toes upwards. I've always suffered with a tight hamstring on that leg do I'm guessing it has something to do with that? I have started to play football again so I'd like to try some exercises to help as it gets much worse when playing sports. Could anyone help out a newbie?

1) Roll a hockey ball in the soft tissue under your foot.
2) Get a foam roller/rolling pin and roll your gastrocnemius (both feet).
3) Get an old bicycle inner tube, cut it so it forms a long strip, (in half, and then length ways), and then wrap it tightly around your ankle (an inch below the distal end of tibia and up to the bulk of gastrocnemius) and then push it through its entire ROM).

And no - you have tight hamstrings because you're a footballer and have never done any basic maintenance on your body. Lengthen these through a combination of soft tissue work and static stretching. You wouldn't let your car run without oil in its engine, so why would you run around with muscles that are liable to tear because your central nervous system doesn't want them extending too much? Or the adhesions between muscle fibre bundles that prevent clean movement of the tissue during contraction/relaxation.

Sort it out. ;) :D

I tried Kelly Starret's trick of pinning your anterior delt/bicep with an oly bar and collar and rotating through it ("Best internal rotation fix" vid). Holy ****. In combination with rolling and stretching my chest, my shoulder feels so much better.

For a long time, I've had a clicking sound around my shoulder blade when I move my shoulder up and down (like a shrug). It's not painful but is it indicative of any wider mobility issues? I'm doing the various scap mobility exercises with a hockey ball to loosen everything up the click persists.

Weak back muscles, poor back muscle activation, adhesions in the existing muscles... it could quite possibly be anything. :)

If oyu're worried or if it hurts, go and see a physio...

Soldato
Just bought a proper resistance band. Is there a breakdown of MobilityWODs that utilise the band? I'm aware of the classic hip flexor one which was the main reason for purchase, but wondering what extra mileage I can get out of it. Some sort of extra evil piriformis stretch would be great.

Man of Honour
Band dislocations, joint flossing, lat stretches, internal/external rotation...

To be fair, MobilityWODs are useful to understand the WHY of these exercises, rather than just "here is an exercise" which is just as important, IMHO.

In other words: watch them all. All 365 of them. ;)

Soldato
Haha, I've watched a good number of them but probably not all 365. :D That can be the goal for the rest of the year.

After trying the couch stretch with the band last night I felt like a new man. Hip flexors and hamstrings cause me so many referred issues.

Man of Honour
Yeah... Since starting cycling, I have noticed my adductors actually get quite uncomfortable - almost impinged - through the movement of pedalling.

Which makes me think cyclists could do with some serious hip mobility work!

Soldato
Started to look into mobility as I've had a problem (for a few years now) with my right anterior delt (badminton is the cause) and although it doesn't really cause me much problems or pain (occasionally playing badminton) my pecs have been getting tighter and tighter and I just don't have the movement in the shoulders as much as I should, and the internal rotation is getting worse. Plus I'm sure my back could do with a (re) fix as I had an accident a few years ago which resulted in slightly twisted lower back muscles (not sure which one) and slight hip misalignment.

I've watched the 2 videos posted up there ^ about the shoulder rotation fix which looks great and I'll get on that.

Just a question, is there a certain time I should be doing these? Pre/post workout? Or literally anytime is good? Do I have to stretch beforehand? And only a number of times a day, or if I can spare lots of little times throughout the day, doing them at all opportunities is good?

Man of Honour
Started to look into mobility as I've had a problem (for a few years now) with my right anterior delt (badminton is the cause) and although it doesn't really cause me much problems or pain (occasionally playing badminton) my pecs have been getting tighter and tighter and I just don't have the movement in the shoulders as much as I should, and the internal rotation is getting worse. Plus I'm sure my back could do with a (re) fix as I had an accident a few years ago which resulted in slightly twisted lower back muscles (not sure which one) and slight hip misalignment.

I've watched the 2 videos posted up there ^ about the shoulder rotation fix which looks great and I'll get on that.

Just a question, is there a certain time I should be doing these? Pre/post workout? Or literally anytime is good? Do I have to stretch beforehand? And only a number of times a day, or if I can spare lots of little times throughout the day, doing them at all opportunities is good?

Also work on your rotator cuff, because tjat is pribably gash, too, and may well be why you are having problems with the delt...

Twice a day would be ideal - I have found working on my rotator cuff immediately before anything involving my shoukder meant it was much more srable during those wirkouts...

Soldato
I can heartily recommend deep tissue work done by an expert - they'll hurt you and work you in a way that you can't do to yourself.

I've had a few sessions in the past, and although they're great I find it's relatively short term. Looking at something I could get the understanding for and fix myself as and when I have any issues, as the knowledge will stay with me.

Also work on your rotator cuff, because tjat is pribably gash, too, and may well be why you are having problems with the delt...

Twice a day would be ideal - I have found working on my rotator cuff immediately before anything involving my shoukder meant it was much more srable during those wirkouts...

Any exercises you can recommend?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah... Since starting cycling, I have noticed my adductors actually get quite uncomfortable - almost impinged - through the movement of pedalling.

Which makes me think cyclists could do with some serious hip mobility work!

Just to follow this up, I'm thinking my hip pain when squatting may be adductors/psoas as much as the lower part of the hip flexor. Going to do some work on those this week and see if it helps loosen my hips further.

Testing my shoulder's internal rotation (the hand pushing away from your lower back type test) after cycling today really highlights what a nightmare riding is for your chest and shoulders. The difference is pretty dramatic. Need to work that out this week too, my anterior delt is very sore.

Man of Honour
Any exercises you can recommend?

Youtube isn't a bad resource. The main thing with this sort of exercise is not weight or "strength" as such, but stability. Pick a very light weight and go through the ROM of your chosen exercise concentratingon keeping your shoulders completely still and stable... as slow as you can.

Will have a dig when I am off my phone...

Associate
Hey guys,

This may not be a mobility thing, but my left ankle rolls to the right slightly when walking. You can tell just by looking at the soles of my shoes sinking to one side! Any thing mobility wise I can do to resolve this?

Back
Top Bottom