Icecold's mobility thread

Man of Honour
OP
Those are the ones I was thinking of! :)

EDIT:
Particularly the second one with external rotation (and arm up), I find it doesn't catch the psoas otherwise.
/EDIT

Starret has a version of the first one you posted where he has a band pulling the "down" leg...er...down. It's kind of tricky to set up properly though.

While you're here, what movement diagnostic tests do you use? I was talking to my physio today about them and he suggested two. Firstly, air squat with arms overhead. Secondly, moving arms overhead in a standing position.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Sorry I missed your post!

Yes, kind of like that, but with slightly more external rotation. I don't have a video for it as it's a stretch my physio friend was playing around with. If it interests you enough I could video myself or my brother (or other unsuspecting subject) doing it.

Man of Honour
OP
Easy should mean healthy in this instance, provided you're doing them properly.

Also, you don't have "issues" with your anterior core.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm really struggling to work out what you're talking about.

Should a person take more care exercising an area they've previously injured? Yes, obviously.

Given that Deception stated that he'd already been doing planks, are the suggestions I gave good progressions while remaining safe? Yes.

How do I know? Because I've actually done them, rather than read an article about them.

I'm just looking and strengthening any weak spots I have, hence all the questions about variations on exercises. Like I did with my squat when I was looking my weak spot in it (which turned out to be everything :p). My squat is coming a long nicely too, in terms of my new found mobility, thanks again Ice :)
No problem :)

Your core should respond relatively quickly. After only a month or so of doing roll outs consistently I'm finding I need extra training stimulus. I'm thinking of stealing FF's idea of adding holds at max reach.

Man of Honour
OP
I merely asked originally if it was advisable to throw someone in doing ab-wheel work straight away if they haven't been doing much / any core work (Not directed at deception, I was talking in general) as opposed to say doing planks then Ab-Dollys or something...

It was all in reply to Doms initial response of:

Which is why I asked :)

Not sure on your little dig of 'Because ive actually done them instead of read an article' to be honest. No, I haven't done every exercise in the world, which is why I read up on things and ask questions.

EDIT: To clarify, I was basically asking why you would jump from planks to Ab-Wheels instantly :p
Why did you bring up injuries? It seems as if you just wanted to bring in an arbitrary counter point to Dom's statement... or something. Just very confusing.

Dom's response was completely valid. He's been a rowing coach for 3+ years, so he has the experience to advise.

That wasn't a dig either, it's a simple statement of fact. You won't be able to understand a movement like roll outs without doing them, or without having general experience with core work. I'm not suggesting you try every exercise in the world, but to judge one without trying it and/or without a great deal of experience or knowledge is bordering on ignorant.
Could you point me in the direction of a foam roller please? :) Can't see any mentioned in the op :(
Any EVA, or dense, foam roller.

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got somewhat of a deadlift form vid. It was with 140kg, so you can see what it looks like under a bit of weight :)

Immediately from the vid, I can see that my upper half of my back rounds a bit. Also, it doesnt feel like im pulling with my back, but the video looks different.
Even at the bottom I can tell it isn't going to be pretty ;)

There doesn't seem to be any stiffness in your back/spine/core. You need to be TIGHT, literally squeezing abs/diaphragm/pelvic floor/glutes/lats/erectors as hard as you can. It's like trying to drive force through some cooked pasta as opposed to a steel rod, so much force is absorbed in movement of the spine.

As LiE says, you need to use your glutes and hamstrings a lot more, which will be a little easier it you stick your arse out more (or follow the Starret load ordering sequence...). You need to be locking out explosively too, which starts with a big glute contraction at the beginning of the lift.

Head down too :)

Man of Honour
OP
^very true.

There's no reason to stop deadlifting (for Deception specifically, just in case there are any Delvises around ;)), just work with 60-80kg for a while until the form sticks.

Man of Honour
OP
Provided that you're making sure you're gripping the bar properly now, wrist wraps would be a sound investment.

There are a few wrist mobility videos on MWOD. I've used a couple but I don't know how well your injury will cope with them. Have a look and play around with it.

Man of Honour
OP
I totally forgot about this!

delbuenno, you asked previously about glute stretching and squatting...

I spoke to some other S&C coaches about this, and their explanation was this:

Because of the knee flexion involved in squatting (particularly high bar), the hamstrings are almost at their resting length at the bottom of the squat. There is always going to be some variance with different femur:torso relationships, but generally the two joint muscles of the hip aren't going to be the limiting factor when squatting.

What we're typically left with is ankle flexion ROM issues and non-hamstring limited hip flexion, for which glutes are the principal limiting factor.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd still say ankles were the biggest enemy of a good squat, but glutes are something you should be hitting. After those two it gets a little more complicated.

Man of Honour
OP
Ice, I've just started waiting tables for the summer so am on my feet for up to 11-12 hour shifts. This is giving me pretty bad lower back pain by the end, especially when I'm working consecutive days. Is there any stretching that would be particularly beneficial before / after the days work? I try to keep a good posture at work, back straight, head up shoulders down and back core engaged and I make sure to lift properly.

My foam roller's arrived today so I'm going to use that every morning and evening and the resistance bands should be here in a few days.

Cheers
There is one obvious point you've missed, despite taking the care you are.

Hip orientation and associated lumbar extension.

It sounds like you could be suffering from what I used to; anterior pelvic tilt and lordosis. This tends to be aggravated by tight front of hip/upper thigh (hip flexors/quads), weak abs and poorly activated glutes.

Things to try:
- have your glutes and abs turned on 10% all the time
- do a lot of anti-extension anterior core work (some listed in the OP of the exercise guide)
- stretch and perform soft tissue work on your quads and hip flexors (check the squatting guide for these)

Right guys, i'm after some shoulder rehab stuff, currently trying to do shoulder dislocations, anything else I can add in there? No monies?

Icecold....have you come across any particular rehab exercices for shoulder A/C joint. I screwed mine about 8-9 months ago...and just cant get rid of the problem. Seems to be getting beter for a while...then it just goes mega-strained again. Stretching...doing light band work daily between workouts aslo for months.
Cheers
I'm going to put together a general shoulder post. The OP of this thread is a good place to start, but I've learnt a lot (and almost fixed my shoulders!) since then.

Back
Top Bottom