Icecold's mobility thread

Man of Honour
OP
No, ice treatment is a bad idea. See recent posts in the gymrats thread.

There is no direct treatment that I know of for the patella tendon, the approach I would take would be to correct the movement faults that are the inevitable cause of the problem. I obviously can't do that without videos of you moving :)

Man of Honour
OP
Ah, forgot to mention.

Squats: my wrist/s tend to hurt after low-bar squat, due to the angle they're sitting at, I presume this is because my elbow are 'too far' behind my back/head if you get what I mean?

Would there be anything I can work on? Things like the bully stretch? Or is that completely unrelated? :)
Almost right!

Try the shoulder external rotation stretches on the first page. Dislocations will help, but your external rotation is what is directly limiting you.

Man of Honour
OP
I think there will always be exceptions to the rule. I know a guy who does lots of marathons and is flat footed... thank the lord for compensatory running shoes ;)

There is surely no one who can look at that and think that it's any where near optimal. Haille is clearly strong enough in the right places to get away with it, but that doesn't mean that the majority of other people aren't putting themselves at risk and/or sacrificing performance. It frustrates me that people assert otherwise, similarly with "yeah but that guy deadlifts with a rounded back".

The author of that video seems like a bit of a berk. "Look how strong his core and hips are", sure, but when most of the impact is absorbed in his foot and ankle there isn't much for the rest of the system to deal with. In the comments he also says that Haille had surgery on his achilles, which, well, you know...

Man of Honour
OP
Very interesting and great posts!

In my early teens I was diagnosed with Chonromalacia Patella AND Osgood Schlatters disease in both knees, fun stuff! If only I knew then what I do now...

The sleeper stretch is part of Defranco's upper body mobility series, and it's really good.

You can modify the bully stretch with bands distracting the shoulder posterioally (??!), and it's all useful stuff. By playing around with all of these things you quickly identify where your personally limitations are.

Man of Honour
OP
Lots of good info in this thread and on the mwod site. Yet I feel very lost with 500ish video's and seemingly 10 different stretches that address each problem.

Ice, is there any chance you could put together a 45-60min mobility workout that I could do every other day or so that targeted the whole body for those of us with terrible mobility everywhere :o
:D

You would have to pay me :p

Start from the bottom and work up, i.e. feet/lower leg.

In fact...

Man of Honour
OP
Warm up with whatever soft tissue work you can, so lacrosse ball/roller/fingers/whatever.

For legs, work through the stuff in the better squatting post.

Massively important for you is going to be loosening up your pecs, so make yourself cry with soft tissue work and then do all the internal/external rotation stretches you can. Remember that if you don't prioritise your shoulder position then you're basically waisting you time. So back straight with abs on, shoulders back and scaps slightly down

Generally speaking I've only posted the worst ones, if you see it then its the most brutal :D

Man of Honour
OP
How would you feel about a trip to Oxford? The guy (wizard) who me and Dom see works out of LA Fitness in the centre. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Man of Honour
OP
Oxford isn't to far away from me really. It would depend on cost and outcome though as constant trips to Oxford would prove more expensive. My sisters friend told her to see an Osteopath a little while ago and she is going to get me the number of someone she recommended and I shall check them out. Never been to one before so it will be eye opening experience at least.

Think my problem has really been that I have left these little things at the time build up and build up and my body is getting to the point where it has almost had enough.
I am going to check out those videos now cheers Djdom56.
He charges £40 a session, and he'll be able to tell you how many he thinks you'll need if/when you see him.
Icecold get your stupid rollers down to Bristol tomorrow and bring cheese and wine.
You know how to woo a man.

Man of Honour
OP
I presume it's not normal to make my back feel better by twisting my torso to the extreme on one side? :o

:p
It could be completely normal! Impossible to say without knowing what exactly is going on, and that's above my knowledge level.
I have booked an Osteopath for Monday not to far from my house at all and only £20 a session. However it is for students but they are over seen by tutors etc.. If I could wait until the 11th of December I would have got 1 free session and 4 after as a thank you as it is their exam time. Unfortunately it is hurting/aching so bad I can't really wait that long.
That is pretty cheap, but you wouldn't catch me letting anyone who I didn't have complete faith in performing any kind of therapy.

Man of Honour
OP
Zefan, that's great advice. I've said that it's best to start with the first videos and work through before, but possibly not in this thread and certainly not in an obvious place for the casual reader.

At some stage I'll tidy up the OP and include some more detailed general guidance.

Man of Honour
OP
I will but the guy I train with he does strongman/powerlifting he reckons form for squats and d/lift is pretty good
Being a powerlifter myself and having seen the top level lifters in both sports first hand, it's definitely no indication that he knows what good form looks like.

In the comp I did last Sunday there was a lot of wince inducing form.

Post a video!

Honestly, I actually find it strange that more people aren't all over posting videos for form feedback...

Man of Honour
OP
When looking at your shoulders it's best to do a little bit of self diagnostics with the stretches in the OP. I'm pretty sure Kelly explains healthy range in all of those videos, but you'll be able to feel where you're limited too.

I wouldn't have guessed that swimming influenced your shoulder mobility too much, but if their is already a problem then I guess it could. Fixing it could even make you a better swimmer.

Where have you been using a ball? Some lucky people (****ers!) have great tissue quality, but it's more likely that you're either not being aggressive enough or using it in the wrong place.

A problem with dips will sometimes mean that you're lacking internal rotation (test it!), so try smashing the ball just above and to the outside of your nipple. Then with the tissue "pinned" move your arm behind you with internal rotation, and try moving your arm as if you were doing a press up. A corner of a wall comes in handy here!

Back
Top Bottom