• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Training 9/11/12

Squat +6 chains (+50+kg at the top)
bar x lots
60x15
100x8
100x3 (with chains from now on)
140x3
160x1
180x1 - faster than last week
190x2f - so close! Another inch and I would have been passed my sticking point
160x3
140x3 no chains
Still juggling the bar on the walkouts with these. It's so strange having the weight pile on at the top.

Comp paused bench
bar x lots
60x10
80x3 paused
100x3
110x1
120x1
130x2
132.5x2
125x2x5
Better

Chain deads (6 chains)
60 x lots
100x10
100x2
140x2
140x2 (chains added)
180x2 - not bad. Felt good to push some weight through the point in the ROM where I had my tear.

Quite a large tail off in volume, I want to make sure I'm set for the comp next Sunday. The exception to this was bench, which I hammered because it was firing pretty well today.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
90% mock meet tomorrow, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens with my deadlift.

I'll try to video my bench this time, although knowing my luck that will mean it messes up!

Man of Honour
OP
lol yeah I couldn't work it out!

Weirdly, my shoulders got better benching 4 times a week, but making sure I was really strict.

Man of Honour
OP
90% mock meet 12/11/12

Squat
Up to 205kg, with absolutely zero psyche up. There is a little hamstring tear compensatory tightness in my right anterior hip that needs to go, but I'm pretty pleased with that.

Comp paused bench (max effort!)
bar x lots
60x8
80x3
90x2
100x1
110x1
120x1
130x1
142.5x1 PB! SLOWEST. REP. EVER. lol srs, looks like the video stops :D

Deadlift
Up to 230kg pretty comfortably. I don't really know what % this was, but it's moving back in the right direction. I'm still missing a lot of speed, but it was much better today than previously. Looks like I'm good for around ~240kg at comp this Sunday, which while at least 20kg off my absolute max is still a nice comp PB.

Man of Honour
OP
Squat is a little bit of an unknown, just not as much as deadlift. I should have at least 210, but I doubt I'll be getting anywhere near a pb.

I won't be going for more than 140 on the bench. Far better to have an almost certain 140 than a 2.5kg increase that could go either way. That's still a 20kg comp pb!

Cheers syla5. The tear will definitely have an effect, its more a question of how much!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'll be annoyed if I get any closer to 83, at this rate it will almost have been worth making weight!

Well, apart from that being a terrible idea...

Man of Honour
OP
Training 14/11/12

Bench
Various singles and doubles with different pause lengths

Deadlifts
Some reps up to 140kg, which is where I did a few sets of speed doubles.

Nandos
1x whole chicken - hot
1x regular piri piri chips
Some peas
Several refills of all-the-sugar coke
An amount of all you can eat ice cream

Get home and weigh myself...

89kg

wtf man :(

Weight loss

Stahp

Man of Honour
OP
Is there something other than piri piri?!

Not a Nandos PB, I'd only just consumed my PWO shake so was a little bloated to begin with.

Man of Honour
OP
For some reason my "hot" chicken was kicking my arse without my usual extra hot dipping sauce :( This must be the reason for my general masculinity/weight fails.

Man of Honour
OP
West Midlands Divisional 18/11/12

What with tearing my hamstring a month before, this was never going to be the huge comeback comp I'd imagined it would be when I originally planned it. However, it did take the pressure off, and also meant that I could completely relax my diet and making-weight protocols because I decided to jump up to the 93kg weight class for this comp only.

Weigh in: 89.4kg

After weighing around 87kg most mornings this week I knew I had nothing to worry about, so I had breakfast before leaving home and stepped onto the scales fully clothed :D

After this there was a LOOOONG wait because I wasn't lifting until the afternoon. I coached Dom through the morning and realised that I'd planned my food terribly! My emergency shake was only just enough to tide me over.

Squats

I spent a while before warming up doing light stretching and soft tissue work. My hamstring was feeling a little crampy, but I decided to ignore and just see how it went.

Warm ups were good, despite the rubber floor being turned into an ice rink because of all of the talc from the morning lifter's deadlifts (some people like to talc their legs to reduce friction). Someone came along with a mop and cleared it up eventually. I was hitting depth easily and getting some good speed.

1st attempt: 195kg
Felt really easy, no pain or discomfort anywhere.

2nd attempt: 210kg - Comp PB
Easy again. It felt really untidy compared to the way I'd like it to move, so it probably could have been even faster. FINALLY lifted over 200kg in a comp!

3rd attempt: 220kg - Comp PB
This was a bit of a risk, but I was feeling pretty optimistic at this point. This is the same weight that I did relatively comfortably on the day that I tore my hamstring, but I'd have to find a couple more inches of depth and hope that not being able to squat properly for 4 weeks hadn't been too detrimental.

The result? A massive comp PB and the slowest squat rep I've ever done!

Bench

This was the important one for this comp. No injuries despite a very ropey left pec in the last few weeks that occasionally bothered me in training. I was determined to 3 plates in comp :mad:

Warm ups were nice, if also pretty funny. The floor was slippery again so I couldn't plant my feet at all. The solution I came up with was to get two "foot spotters" to stand at the end of the bench so that I could push my feet against theirs. It looked ridiculous, but it worked.

1st attempt: 130kg - comp PB
I got convinced to increase this attempt from 120kg, which was definitely the right choice. Very comfortable rep.

2nd attempt: 140kg
Something didn't feel quite right as I was setting up, and taking the bar down to my chest was uncomfortable. It felt better during the pause, but as I pressed out my left foot slipped causing me to lose my left shoulder stability (you can see it go in the video). I kind of wanted them to take the bar straight away, but in the moment I didn't ask them to. I just had to hope that this didn't fatigue me too much, but now I wasn't feeling as optimistic.

3rd attempt: 140kg - comp PB
More careful set up, very comfortable rep! Booyah! Possibly could have tickled 145kg if I'd got this the first time around, but I was very happy anyway.

Deadlifts

I had no idea what to expect going into these, although I was pretty confident that my opener would be easy. Last monday 230kg was ok, but I was still missing a lot of speed (obviously the torn muscle is still not back to strength) and my right hip flexor has been very tight and cramping up as it tries to balance out the forces through my hips.

Warm ups felt great. No twinges anywhere and I was getting better speed than I had been getting. There was a chance of a half decent pull here, but I tried not to get my hopes up.

1st attempt: 220kg - comp PB
Very comfortable, but pretty slow and not as tidy as I'd like (the bar moves away from me). Still, no pain/discomfort and 5kg comp PB :o lol

2nd attempt: 235kg
Surely this would be easy? Nope! When it came off the ground I knew it was slower than my best, but then I knew that would happen. What killed me was getting to the joint angle between my hip and femur where my hip flexor had been playing up - boom, very painful cramping. You can see in the video that I kind of twist away from my right side, but it's hard to say if that's cause or effect.

3rd attempt: Pass

Not really disappointed, at least my hamstring didn't go! This hip flexor thing will be sorted very quickly, so I can now start rebuilding my deadlift.

Thinking about it now, given the opportunity I would have for 250+kg on my 3rd attempt. Who knows what this would have done to my hamstring?

Overall it was a great day. PBs in all lifts and no major snaps (left shoulder is a little beaten up from the bench), finally squatted near my max and got a 3 plate comp bench :cool:

I came 2nd in the 93kg weight class out of a surprising large amount of competitors for a little divisional meet. I was chatting to the guy who won the 93s, it turns out that he's also had some... injury troubles:
1) 3 years ago he had an extremely severe coeliac attack (I think that's right) where he almost died, and had the vast majority of his large intestine removed.
2) After that he clawed his way back to heath (after losing 30+kg) only to suffer a hernia the size of a football and have to carry his small intestine around in a colostomy bag. With his bag of guts wrapped up under his powerlifting belt, he went to world championships and won.

What a guy to come 2nd to! Absolute hero.

Video blocked due to forum word filter :rolleyes:
http://youtu.be/n2q*f*t5g7cpk
- remove the stars

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Excellent job mate!

Beast mode was well and truly engaged!
Thanks Steeds!

Training 19/11/12

RDL
bar x lots
60x8
100x6
140x6
180x6
200x6x4

Good Mornings
bar x some
60x8
90x8
110x8x3

OHP
40x8x4
Just playing around with keeping my shoulders pinched back.

Strict elbow out chest supported DB row
12.5x12
17.5x12x4
Hard! Trying to minimise lat usage

BB curl
40x12, 12, 10 short rests!

Tricep cable pushdown
somex12x3

DB curls
some x some

This week will be a week of guns!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I warm up pretty thoroughly anyway, but I did extra with it being the day after a comp and still having a healing hamstring tear - the bar was basically just a dynamic stretch, and 60 is basically the same with slightly more resistance. I bang through my warm ups pretty fast, but I don't think it's worth the risk to skip them.

I didn't feel up to doing much else heavy yesterday, so I decided to rape my hammies for screwing me over for the last month. Oh wait I forgot the good mornings...

Man of Honour
OP
Thank you sir! I really appreciate everyone's kind words :)

My squat is definitely my most technically pretty lift, but that particular style won't work for everyone. I've had a few people say that I "handle" weight well, which I guess is to do with stability.

As for not being worthy, as if! The vast majority of what I've achieved is down to being lucky and managing to listen to the right people, the list of whom includes yourself.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 21/11/12

Bench
bar x lots
60x10
80x6
100x3
110x1
120x3x3
First set of 120 was to see how fatigued I was after the comp, it turns out "a lot" was the answer. Not hugely difficult, just slow and uncomfortable.

Deadlift
70xsome
110x8
150x3
190x5
210x0 - took the tension off the bar and felt uncomfortable in my hip
190x5x2
Not bad, pleased to get a bit of volume in

Deficit Bulgarian Split Squats (weight per DB)
bw x 10
17.5x8
25x8x3
Horrible! Left leg is considerably weaker here, these were easy on my right side.

Strict elbow flaired row
20x10x3

CGBP
90x8x3

Chins
bw x some x a few

Cable shoulder stuff

DB curls

Pretty good session. It's very obvious from today that the problem in right hip flexor is driven by my left leg being weaker. I probably won't be able to hammer deadlifts until my hamstring is a little bit more back to strength. It felt absolutely fine today though, so as long as I'm careful I should get there pretty soon.

Man of Honour
OP
I've got a new training cycle which I'll put together to start monday, and aim to peak for that comp at the start of Feb that you're also going to ;)

Back
Top Bottom