• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Training 23/12/12

Comp paused bench
bar x lots
60x5
100x3
110x1
120x2
125x2
130x2 PB
132.5x2 PB
127.5x2
125x2
122.5x2
Hallelujah! Had concerns about benching, but this was awesome. Nice volume too. Oh, and this whole session is at a different gym. The bench is terrible, narrow and wobbly, so even more of a PB... ;)

Squat
bar x lots
60xsome
100x5
150x2
170x2 very fast!
180x1
200x2 very easy. Hopefully this weeks gayness has gone. Right distal quad insertion is still mega tight which is biting me at depth though, so I keep cutting them a little high...
210x2 easy again!
222.5x2 PB! WTF?! Easily another rep there.
Was going to do some volume, but my quad was ****ed. Very pleased! Videos of the 210 and 222.5 later.

DB row
35x10
50x6x4

Narrow grip bench
100x5
110x5x3

Lat pull down
some

Leg press
A few very light sets of 12 to get my knee moving. Worked well with some stretching.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers chaps! It was nice to have things moving nicely for a change, even though some of my bench reps were hilarious and my right leg was doing all kinds of crazy things because of my quad.

Also, the squat rack was almost impossible for me to not clatter on my walk outs :/

Video!

Some interesting tekkers stuff going on, no doubt because of my quad...

I was previously unaware that my t-shirt had holes in... thanks youtube! <thumbsup>

Man of Honour
OP
Mock meet 27/12/12

Squat
bar x lots
70x10
120x5
140x3
170x2
190x1 - feeling a little ropey, right quad is tight and painful again
210x1 - bad walkout, rocked back onto my heels when I hit my stance. Slow rep, not smooth
220x1 - better, but high
230x1 PB :cool: depth still not perfect, but better than the 220. It's a bit hard to judge how high it is from the angle of the video, but it looks easy, possibly even double-able.

Very pleased! 7.5kg "season" PB, and I don't think I've hit my limit.

Bench
bar x lots
70x10
80x3 (comp paused from now on)
100x3
110x1
120x1
130x1 - very easy
140x1 - smooth off my chest, but the weird wobbly bench is making lowering it under control very hard
145xf - messed this up! More or less dropped it onto my chest. I would have tried it again given more time, and I'm reasonably confident of getting it on a non-**** bench. Dom had similar problems with high % weights, as did I doing my doubles on sunday, it was just that ~130kg was light enough to muscle up after messing up the negative.

Deads
bar x some
70x10
120x5
170x2
220x1
Gym closed :/ lol

Total: 590kg, only just got my wheels spinning on the deadlift.

Bodyweight: 85kg

Edit: that video is taking ages to upload...

Man of Honour
OP
:D Appreciated

Yeah it was a bit strange. I think I managed to ignore my quad pain the most on the 230. Obviously that depth isn't good enough for comp (I think the 190kg is actually similar, but the angles hide it), but I'm sure I can hit depth without being stapled. The stability was very hit and miss, and largely due to catching the rack on the walk out.

Man of Honour
OP
If there is any twisting, it's because right right quad is currently all kinds of messed up. It's surprising that I can squat with it at all; after sitting at a desk for a while, trying to walk becomes a hilariously waddly event.

As for muscle tears, it depends. The ones I've had (hamstring and adductor) have done really well with high rep progressive loading (the 25 rep squats I did). Something in your shoulder or back would be trickier.

Is this for your weird ab pain?

Man of Honour
OP
That's probably me shifting the weight onto my left side, not ideal!

A strain typically includes a few torn fibres, it's not really anything to worry about. You could try some exercises that take the muscle through some kind of ROM, but slowly and without load. Pain isn't necessarily bad here, but use your judgement.

Man of Honour
OP
Deadlifts still aren't back to normal, but as long as I get 240 or more on comp day I'll be happy. If not, if I pick my weights badly, I might end up squatting more than I deadlift :/

Man of Honour
OP
I love CBL.

I don't really pay attention to calories though. On training days I have a lot of nuts/meat/salad before training and then go crazy with carbs afterwards, which more or less has to see me over 3000kcals (~400g carbs, ~200g protein, etc.). Non training days is lots of meat/nuts/salad before around 7pm, then I have a normal dinner - at a guess this puts me somewhere between 1800-2200kcals. I'll sometimes try to have 1 very low carb day, but I can't always be bothered and I haven't needed to yet.

Man of Honour
OP
No, but then I do moderate carb depletion with IF and fasted training. I'm not saying I wouldn't benefit from it, but I think someone who is normally all over the carbs all day would get more out of it.

My nutrition wizard friend occasionally does a few days without a back load to keep on top of things, so I might do that if I feel like I want more fat loss at some point.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 30/12/12

Squats
bar x lots
60x10
100x5 a few paused
140x3 paused
160x2
180x2
190x1
200x4x2
192.5x4x2
Good to get some volume in for once, but my quad was lighting up pretty badly. Comfortable weights though. Did a forth set to make up for the fact that there was no way I was going to be able to do split squats. Made Steedie do those instead :p

Looooong pause bench
bar x lots
70x5
100x3
110x3
115x3
110x3x4
Constant tension on chest, not just resting there. Dat pump!

Row machine thing
some x10x3

Narrow grip bench
100x4
110x4x2

Man of Honour
OP
Awesome squatting as usual :)

The pump is pretty crazy from keeping so much tension on the chest. I normally follow up with some volume too by which point my chest feels swol.

Are you starting the 4 week comp prep next week?
I've definitely put some mass on my chest since putting more emphasis on paused reps. It's slowly feeling more comfortable too. I may play around with some heavy negatives with a pause on the chest - I've totally made that up as a thing, but it sounds like it will a) look awesome, and b) do me some favours.

I technically started my comp prep on Sunday to avoid the gym closures. I'm trying to squeeze some last minute gains out of my hamstring recovery so my prep is going to be a little more complicated.

Training 2/1/13

First session of the new year, and I'm still sitting on the remnants of my hangover! Food intake from Monday until now is probably down to 50%, and carbs are very low. So essentially, this was a carb depleted, zero testosterone hangover session, which is definitely a training stupidity PB.

Deads
70xlots
110x5
150x3
190x1 nice. Best rep of the day, which sucks! :D
220x3 heavy enough for today!
207.5x3x2 extremely rapid fatigue. First set was stupidly easy, second set was horrible!

Paused bench - not programmed, but felt like doing a token effort to grease the groove
bar x lots
70xsome
100x3
120x3x3 easy

Paused RDL
150x6
160x6x3
This was the worst possible thing for my body in it's current state! Completely emptied my glycogen reserves, I literally felt a huge crash and was enjoying some cold sweats. As soon as I finished these I smashed my PWO shake down, and within about 15 minutes I felt awesome.

DB bench
35x10
40x6 - had PWO shake now
45x6x3 got much easier

Rows and pullups
some

Man of Honour
OP
200g dextrose PWO, then all kinds of crap. I'm going to move over to rice based meals a bit more often as it's much easier.

Training 04/01/13

Rubbish session. Minimal sleep for the last two nights ensured that I wasn't recovered from Wednesday's shambles. Got some work in though, and hopefully a quiet weekend with two backloads will sort me out.

Bench
warm ups
100x3 - all kinds of back fatigue. What felt like rhomboid cramp too, which is new!
120x3 - messy! Finding it hard to keep it controlled
125x2 - lol terrible. Line was messy, couldn't keep tension on my chest, 3rd rep went for a walk on my chest and completely ballsed up the press.
125x2 - was convinced I could get it for 3, given that I have, comfortably. Couldn't!
120x3 messy
115x3 better
115x3 better still
Rear delt and all kinds of back muscles were tight as ****. Didn't think to warm them up aggressively as they've never needed it before.

Paused deads
100x3
140x3
180x3
200x2 FFFFUUU. Messed up the third rep, kind of did two pauses because of trying to play with form and zero oxygen in my brain.
185x3x3 much better.

Chins
some

Urgh! Well I have some extra stuff to do tomorrow now, but that's no big deal. The one positive is that Wednesday's paused RDLs smashed my hammies in a way I've not experienced since my tear. Massive DOMS along the recovering fibres, and the paused deads felt good even though they weren't that heavy.

Glad that's over tbh, sleep beckons...

Man of Honour
OP
Heh... Your fatigue sessions are the stuff of my aspirations! :)

Sleep is good (don't try jerking tired :)eek:) - you'll jaw yourself with a barbell (or that could just be me who does that... :()! Enjoy!
I'm looking forward to the oly stuff, but it will probably mostly be snatch tomorrow with some token 60kg C&J. Well, that's the plan, the reality will probably see me over stretch my limits and snap something off :D
Ice you taking warm up tips from that Austrian guy now? :p
You mean the American chap who jumped straight in with your benching? Hah, not quite! Did standard warm ups with a lot of lacrosse ball in my back to try and loosen things up. It didn't work though!

Man of Honour
OP
Bodyweight: 84.9kg

Sleep status: 8 hours

Well, it seems like weight is falling off me. This is fully carbed and creatined up too. Time to eat more for a week.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 05/01/13

Long paused squat
bar x lots
60x10
100x4
140x4
160x4x3
Really good. Still a bit bothered by my right quad, but it's improving.

Wide grip long paused bench
bar x lots
60x5
80x4
100x4
110x4x2
105x4x2
Nice! Stupidly strong compared to yesterday's comp paused triples :rolleyes:

Neutral close grip bench press
50x12
60x10
70x10

Mobility for oly work
All kinds

Klokov press
bar x some x some

Hang cleans
a few

Hang snatch shrugs
some

Chins with pause at top
bw x8x4

Great session! The full nights sleep left me feeling really strong. Didn't get time to do much actual oly stuff because I was coaching someone. I was also coaching Dom to snatch, which went really well. Plan is to go in again and just smash out something in the region of 50 snatch reps in doubles and triples. From there I'll decide what drills I need to work on. I'm going to take a similar approach with cleans; I can't be arsed to mess around for weeks building a perfect movement, maybe if I had a proper coach it would work... I'm sure I can tweak as I go with reasonable success, especially if Dom gets up to speed on oly stuff.

Man of Honour
OP
What's the function of the wide grip bench pressing? More pec? I like the idea of NG close grip bench press.

Do you have 2 consecutive rest days at the moment? According to CBL I should back load as normal on the last rest day before training. So I back load tonight as I didn't train on Saturday either.
It's to shift emphasis to the pecs, which is to help with speed off the chest. In theory.

I've trained 4 days a week for a while now, mostly adding a Saturday as a catchup day. As you aren't really too bothered about maxing out the last few % of fat loss potential, you'd definitely be ok with moderate carb loading on all off days. Generally, I just have a normal dinner.
I bench pretty wide i find i get good pec and delt activation a lot less tricep. Becoming something of a hindrance to me these days tho. Will be interesting to discuss at the meet this weekend
Yeah I've grown to quite like it, I'm getting pretty strong with it too.

I forgot the meet was this weekend :cool:

Training 06/01/13

Laps around the track
some
Hamstrings and adductors say, "WTF is this ****?!"

Over-head warm up:
Pec mobility and soft tissue stuff
Band dislocations
Klokov press
OH squats

Platform was busy, so decided to do...

Behind the neck push press - aiming for very little press out
60x3
70x3 terrible, wake up glutes!
70x3 awesome
80x3
90x3 - easy on the way up, terrifying on the way down
That will do, and the platform is free

C&J - 1 clean per set
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
Felt pretty good, flailing was minimised after the first set. I have a video of the second to last set. Need to make sure I keep my speed up, but was pretty tired from taking short rests. I think I can increase this without worrying too much about form breakdowns. Need to work on cleans separately too.

Snatch shrug
40x3xsome

Power snatch
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
Ran out of time. These were a lot less pretty than the jerks, but better than I feared they'd be. Video of first set is pretty bad! "Jumping" too early, zero extension, and my back wasn't flat. Very easy though. Going to stick with 40kg until it's perfect.

Curlz
super setted with snatch, oh yes.

Back
Top Bottom