• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Soldato
Damn that's soon! Yeap I second deceptions question. Also any chance you could go in to more detail about the pulls from pins /deficits etc back in my log as interested to hear.

Also I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on Owen hubbards squat technique, don't want to ask anywhere else as I don't want to encourage people to go trying it out, but to say its extreme is a bit of an understatement!

Man of Honour
OP
There are a couple of superficial reasons. Firstly, my core was still fatigued from the work I did on weds. I thought I'd kept the volume low enough, but the unusual stimulus was more fatiguing that I'd planned for. I was also very tired, as I'd only remembered that the gym was closing at 12:00 as I was going to bed at around 2 :(

But also, I've fallen victim to two other factors. 1) I have not been able to deadlift consistently for various reason for over a year, which means I've experienced "technique creep" and slowly lost some of the joocy corrections I made prior to injury. 2) Due to not working on it for 2 years, my lordosis has slowly returned. To be fair, it had basically completely gone when I stopped, but I now know that I need to revisit some of the mobility/exercises occasionally.

These two together have meant that I've developed a slight over extension moment in my lumbar. This is how I used to deadlift, and it basically meant that me psoas was hugely over recruited when I was trying to maintain a flat back (which was actually marginally over extended). This then becomes a battle of hip flexors (e.g. psoas) vs hip extensors (glutes, hams). Obviously extensors win, but at the expense of power and massive flexor fatigue.

This is all fixable, but probably not in 3 weeks.

Training 03/02/14

Not having the best run of training! Struck down by a very upset stomach that doesn't seem to be an actually illness.

Squats
bar
215 :(
200x2x6
Plan was for heavy doubles, but as I was ramping up the weights I felt closer and closer to a brown shorts catastrophe. Opted for some doubles, and felt a lot better by the 6th set. Essentially, this session has been switched with Friday.

Bench
bar
135 very nice
115x2x6
140 was there for a no hand off PB, but I was running out of time and the doubles were more important

Man of Honour
OP
Training 05/01/14

So, today I try to fix my deadlift. I didn't even know if I'd be capable of doing ~220 comfortably and with tidy reps, but with it being so close to comp I had to push it at least reasonably hard. Ideally I'd build up slowly over many weeks from around 200, but that obviously can't happen. Speculative sets all the way up.

Deadlifts
bar
100 feeling around for my line
140 reasonably good
180 good line, not very snappy
200 similar, but slightly quicker
220 shape felt good, speed average
240x3 Not bad at all. Middle rep was a little messy, but this was probably at ~85%, which is more or less perfect for the day
227.5x3
227.5x3
227.5x3
All the drops were similar. Speed dropped off very quickly, and I lost my line/shape on a few reps. Core was raped by the end, it's not been used like this in a long time. In summary, pretty good :)

BTN PP
bar
97.5x3 PB
85x5
85x5

OHP
60x5
60x5

Chins
bw x5x5

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks chaps. Duvet you're a kermit :mad: ;)

Training 07/2/14

So, doing that corrective deadlift work has raped my core and erectors. Not at all good for a heavy squat session in my experience, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Squats
bar
140 moving well, but I can feel the fatigue in my core and back
240x2 PB :)
225x1 nope! Fatigue
200x2
200x2
200x2
Almost died on the second rep of 240, but I got the ****er. Instantly fatigued though, so opted for some lighter doubles.

Bench
bar
110x2x6

Banded deads
170x2x3
Good.

Video coming tomorrow

Soldato
Damn that's soon! Yeap I second deceptions question. Also any chance you could go in to more detail about the pulls from pins /deficits etc back in my log as interested to hear.

Also I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on Owen hubbards squat technique, don't want to ask anywhere else as I don't want to encourage people to go trying it out, but to say its extreme is a bit of an understatement!

Bro please respond.

Also, in for vids tomorrow :). Are you confident about depth leading up to this comp?

Man of Honour
OP
Dem squats, would caress your pumped quads tenderly with my testicles
In
Bro please respond.

Also, in for vids tomorrow :). Are you confident about depth leading up to this comp?
I haven't forgotten! Every time I browse training logs I feel like I don't have enough time to reply properly :(

Depth SHOULD be fine. I'm going to back off into a load of light squats next week just to make sure my body knows the position. I don't have any injuries messing with my line this time around, so my only excuse will be stupidity :D
Congrats on the squat pb. Do you have a video for me to... watch?
Yes, as a matter of fact I do...

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks chaps :)

Training 10/2/14

Still feeling pretty beaten up from Fridays squatting (recovery may have also been hampered by a friends weekend birthday celebrations...). Fairly light day planned though.

Squats
bar
140 lawd, so stiff
200x3x3
That's all I wanted from today, but it was a lot harder than it should have been! Hitting depth was a struggle too, so much tightness in my hips and right ankle (for some reason...).

Bench
bar
135 messy!
140 no lift off PB. A slow rep, but tidy
120x6x2 comfortable and pretty joocy. Short-ish rests

Mobility work for about 30 mins.

Done.

If I've jinxed myself with my "no injuries at the moment so depth is fine" comment I will be angry. Tapering off volume and intensity now, so hopefully today was an anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom