• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Training 12/2/14

Full of man flu :(

Deadlifts
bar
220 moving really well
250x1f2 wtf. Grip failed on my left hand, which is new. Swapped out for a bar with actually knurling
250xf wat
220x2 almost lost my grip! :mad:
220x2 REALLY easy. What is going on?
220x2
220x2
220x2
220x2 Still really easy. All these sets were done with a hold at the top of the last rep
Body, y u do dis? Grip was rock solid on my last set. Strong retardations.

BTN PP
some

Chins
some

Rubbish.

Man of Honour
OP
^in?

Training 14/2/14

So I'm still feeling pretty ill, but I basically have to train as today is the last chance to work on stuff.

Squats
bar
140 feeling pretty mobile
180 not as fast as I'd like, but depth seems fine today. Feels really heavy on my back though...
215x2 really groce!
180x2 still groce. Feeling some pressure in my lower back, try some basic manipulation and there are a couple of huge cracks
180x2 like a feather
180x2 first rep paused because **** you that's why
180x2
180x2
180x2
180x2
*sigh* frustrating again. It's not the end of the world, but I wanted to accumulate some heavier doubles.

Bench
bar
105x2x6
Fine

Deadlifts with blue band
180x2
190x2
190x2
Nice. Feels like a lot of tension at the top, akin to ~210+~60kg of chain weight. Good reps though, it seems like I've remembered my old pattern pretty quickly. Bodes well for progression after my comp.

Associate
Not exactly but kind of. They work on the same principle as chains that the weight increases as the bar moves higher so it will provide greater stimulus to the end of the range of motion, as well as this, to keep the bar moving through the increased load, you need to work harder and harder which helps with rate of force production which will help with the speed of the lift.

Man of Honour
OP
Mock meet 17/2/14

Still fighting off this man flu :( Minimal psyche up

Squats
bar
Decent enough.

Bench
bar
Not as good as I'd like. I was struggling to find my grove a bit, but it wasn't bad. All of these were done with a long comp pause, which I haven't done in ages for fear of shoulder 'splosions.

Deadlift
Fatigued quite fast on these, but 240 was still pretty comfortable. This could be where I'm punished most for my bad comp build up, as I've not really done much squatting and deadlifting on the same day. Something to address in my next training cycle.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 19/2/14

Feeling all kinds of rough today. By the time I stepped into the gym I'd had a splitting headache for a few hours, an affliction I never usually have to deal with.

Squats
bar
170x2x4
Blood pressure really russtling my headache jimmies.

Bench with long pause
bar
110x2x5
Mostly fine.

Banded deadlifts
150 +band x2
170x2x4
Groce in my head, nice reps.

Man of Honour
OP
West Midlands Comp 23/2/14

So, this is my first comp in in a year, and the first comp as a proper 93kg lifter after a year of getting fat. The timing wasn't great, coming out of Christmas/New Year I was pretty sure this wasn't going to happen and so was pretty happy to leave my weight quite high. Then three weeks out everything gets confirmed and it's time to drop weight. ****. Squats continued to feel pretty good throughout my calorie deficit, but I was also attacked by the fear of not making depth after last years debacle. Filming from my left side in training (not always possible) told me I was right on the borderline. Bench continues to be at the mercy of my almost separated left shoulder, so I wasn't expected anything big. Despite changing up my deadlift technique a few weeks ago things were feeling pretty good, although I hadn't tested heavy weights.

Thankfully, dropping weight and water manipulation went really well this time, possibly due to a few tweaks. On Sunday morning I didn't feel like I was dying, so I was on a peeb already.

Weighed in at 92.3kg, and started rehydrating/carbing up as quickly as possible. Again, some changes I made to my routine seem to have prevented massive bloating at this stage.

Squats

I had quite a long time to warm up, which was great. Even had time to bring out the car buffer, which confused (impressed?) everyone in the hall. When it came to warming up with the bar, I was feeling pretty good, and everything was moving well. I got Dom to check my depth, which he said was fine :)

First attempt: 210kg
This might seem a little conservative given my recent squatting, but I wanted to absolutely smash it. It turned out to be extremely easy, so my confidence was somewhat restored.

Second attempt: 225kg comp PB
I was going to ask for 222.5 for a 2.5kg comp pb, but was told I was being stupid given how easy that was. This was still pretty comfortable, although I received one flag from a side judge for depth. It turns out that my hips have actually become slightly asymmetrical, leaving the left side looking to be not quite at depth while the right side is. The videos I have been taking in training now made sense.

Third attempt: 237.5kg comp PB
I was advised to do either 235 or 237.5, and chose the latter because of how good I was feeling. 240 would have gone too, but I can save that for my next comp.

Bench

My shoulder was behaving well through my warm ups, but the floor was slippy so couldn't warm up with leg drive. Benching had gone terribly in my mock meet on Monday, so I was only hoping to scrape 140 or so.

First attempt: 130
Absolutely smoked it. Intredasting.

Second attempt: 140
Again, easy. Well this is new...

Third attempt: 147.5 comp and all time PB
BOOM! Very pleasing. My shoulder moved a little bit here, but I was able to muscle through it.

Deadlift

Warm ups felt good until 200, which felt slow and uncoordinated. 220 was a little better, but I was happy with my choice of opener...

First attempt: 240
Easy enough, but my line was a little off.

Second attempt: 250 comp PB
Much better, things somehow clicked back into place.

Third attempt: 262.5 comp and all time PB
Pleasantly fast. Hamstrings were fatigued at this point and caused me to do a little dance on the way up, but this was still the easiest 260+ has ever felt. With more time bedding in my technique and conditioning my hamstrings, there would definitely have been something big here.

Total: 647.5kg PB

Bodyweight: 92.3kg

WILKS: 408.3

For comparison, here is Monday's mock meet:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom