Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
If you want the smelly end of the stick.....

http://www.arcticportal.net/features/features-of-2010/volcanic-eruption-in-iceland

"The only eruption that there exist considerable knowledge about is the eruption in 1821 and the predictions that your are able to make from one eruption are limited. The eruption 1821 lasted longer than a year and was followed by a significant amount of ash fall. It is therefor likely that the eruption will last quite a bit longer"

Smeg.

Man of Honour
What do we predict for flights on sunday/monday?

I read that is could last for 4 days. Sunday will probably be the same but NI and parts of Scotland could be active. Some North Atlantic flights may be going from there. The disruption will go on for days after the restart. We should hear more from NATS at 14:30.

Soldato
Looks like the earth may really be going through some changes, hope nothing major happens though, especially if a little ash can upset travel so easily, understandable as it is.

Man of Honour
Latest Volcanic Ash Advisory:

vag1271417376.jpg

Man of Honour
Does all this mean you havent got any work to go to at the moment? Do you get paid salary or shift based? I bet you're loving the time off!?

The airspace is still technically open therefore controllers have to be present. However, since there aren't any flights there is only a requirement for a handfull of controllers at a time so lots have been called and told not to come in to work. I'm on my regular days off til Monday anyway so I haven't been so lucky!

I do hope this doesn't drag into next week. I'd rather be busy and working than sitting around the house for days.

Soldato
That has more to do with the the sun going through a low period of activity. It literally has zero sun spots at the moment. No sun spots = no warm summers for Earth.

Wait till 2012 thru to 2014 when the sun cycle peaks :D Loads of sun spots to blast the earth with mass ejections.

Back
Top Bottom