Idiots in T-shirts and shorts.

Associate
Wow, i never come in the bikers forum as i am not a biker but i noticed this thread and had to come in and share.

On saturday morning, a friend and i were coming back from whitby on the moor road and we were overtaken by a chap on a hayabusa doing probably in excess of 120MPH, 2 minutes later we pulled up to him layed in the road with most of his skin flayed off one side of his body, he was wearing jeans and T-Shirt.

Luckily he also went into the grass verge and this probably took most of the impact....he could easily have been dead.

The bike was knackered, and i mean completely, one of the drivers coming the other way said that the bike rider just wobbled and lost control, let go, flew through the air and the bike did about 6 somersaults!

Caporegime
Actually, have you ever come off? I have a couple of times, each time was very bad and I can safely say, I was not in fault, nor going silly but it was little things that made a big impact, without gear, I wouldn't be here :)

At the end of the day, anyone wearing nothing does not get a nod from me, I will simply shake my head knowing that one day, they won't be going home in one piece.

ags

interesting insight

are those that are so adament protection should be worn those that have witnessed or been the biker involved a nasty accident which wasnt the bikers fault.

I know i was - ive seen both my dad, my father in law and a friend of my dads involved in nasty smashes - neither of which were there fault and caused by half wit motorists.

Soldato
OP
interesting insight

are those that are so adament protection should be worn those that have witnessed or been the biker involved a nasty accident which wasnt the bikers fault.

I know i was - ive seen both my dad, my father in law and a friend of my dads involved in nasty smashes - neither of which were there fault and caused by half wit motorists.

I don't think so mate, I think that some people should just have enough common sense in them to realise wearing nothing on a machine that weighs a fair bit and goes like stink is just not a smart idea.

I always wear my 1 piece, still do and always will, even before being in my first off. Just seemed normal to me that the more protection the more the chance of standing up after is going to be likely.

My mate always wears Jeans, a textile armoured jacket, boots and gloves, tells me it's much easier to be social which I understand, but I still don't like it. If I want to be social, I put shorts and a tshirt in my bag for when I get to an event. See this photo of my baby at a Italian motor festival in Bristol. Notice the leathers on the right side of the bike? Took me a max of 2 mins to get changed, and the ride down was fantastic because I had my leathers on meaning I could have a bit of fun on the twisties.

24754_388691922289_509862289_382181.jpg
28475_435316623487_503668487_589576.jpg

ags

Soldato
I saw a guy on a cruiser at the weekend, with a pillion. Both were in open faced helmets, t-shirts, shorts and flip flops. I just shook my head in despair. I just wish they could see the damage that could cause to them if they came off doing the speed they were doing.

Just wanted to get a small hammer and knock them on the ankle or something, as I know how much that hurts, then get them to imagine the bike being the hammer and slamming down on their unprotected feet.
Really annoys me.

Soldato
I'm not advocating riding without protection, only the freee choice to do so.

You call people that dont ride in leathers etc idiots, some people call people that ride bikes idiots. Personally I say let people do what the hell they want.

And yeah, racing around at 120 in shorts isn't the best idea, and is not what I was saying at all. I was making the comparison that bimbling around at 30mph in jeans and a T shirt on a bike isn't that different to cycling. I do both and am happy to take the risk.

And yes, I have fallen off once at very slow speed, probably about 15mph. I've done more damage mountain biking, and take much higher risks road racing.

Are these guys all idiots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wEG2RNMJc

Soldato
cycling is slightly different as the bikes only weigh a few kilos, a bicycle wont press you to the ground as you slide along! Im not saying people shouldnt do it though its entirely free will, nor do I look down on people that do it I just personally wouldnt

Soldato
going less than a mile an a half down the road to move the bike once off though, I certainly wouldnt make a habit of it, my leathers were at my friends house and rather than walk all the way there to get them and then come back to get the bike I thought it would be easier to just go as I was

Caporegime
I'm not advocating riding without protection, only the freee choice to do so.

Why should they ?

It is against the law to drive a car without a seatbelt.

Why should motorists not be free to drive with no concern for safety but bikers should be ?

A helmet is required by law, to my mind it needs to go further, as all the reasonning that applies to why car drivers have to wear seat belts, applies to the reasons why bikers should wear proper protective clothing.

Soldato
because I had my leathers on meaning I could have a bit of fun on the twisties.

From reading through the thread, this is the point you missed earlier that someone made.

Wearing your leathers doesn't afford you "fun on the twisties".. otherwise the logic of wearing shorts doesn't afford you riding a bike becomes rather hypocritical.

I liked the "danger scale" too. At one end I assume we have the people that take no risk and live rather fruitless but nonetheless happy to themselves lives. At the other end we have riders in bikinis! People will do what they feel comfortable with.

Soldato
Why should they ?

Why should motorists not be free to drive with no concern for safety but bikers should be ?

A helmet is required by law, to my mind it needs to go further, as all the reasonning that applies to why car drivers have to wear seat belts, applies to the reasons why bikers should wear proper protective clothing.

Sorry, thats ridiculous - why not make a big ban list to wrap everyone in cotton wool:

Ban bikes altogether - far too dangerous and account for a high percentage of road deaths
Wear a helmet and fire proof suit in cars
Illiegal to have distracting in-car-entertainment systems in them (apart from in the back seats with earplugs for the kids)
Cap speed electronically at 70mph - there really is no need to go any faster

We already have far too many restrictive laws in this country, and adding to them doesnt make the place any better!

Associate
Over the last week, I have spotted maybe 5% of bikers wearing protective gear...

I don't currently have my Ducati as it's having a engine rebuild. But, I for one would still wear my leathers in such hot weather. When my girlfriend is driving me around we both see these idiots and laugh.

What would possess someone to wear nothing on a motorbike? Anyone on here that stupid? What are your thoughts?

ags

My thinking is that i shall wear whatever i like and if you dont agree with it thats fine with me...been riding since 1978 and in that time i have only owned one pair of leather bike trousers and i only wore those a few times so im doing ok so far:cool:

Soldato
Why should they ?

Why should we be forced to have any sort of protection for OUR lives if WE do not wish to do so.
Failing to have protection will only impact you, and not anyone else.

Associate

Except for family, friends, passers by that have to witness you bleeding with your skin hanging off. The NHS, and the staff and their associated costs, also the potential drain on the blood banks.

Soldato
OP
I'm not against the bikers as I am a biker my self, I am against the witless people that decide it's cool to go out in nothing on a bike.

@ Sagalout: And why on earth are you escalating the argument to the point that anyone agreeing on the point is also agreeing that bikes are stupid and should be illegal? At which point has anyone said that? Step down and re read the thread mate.

I am trying to make my point but doing so awfully so I am going to step away from this argument and simply end my point in that I think people who don't wear protection on a bike are at the same par as someone in a car without a seatbelt... Not the exact same, but something to consider.

ags

Last edited:
Associate
Are you kidding, us bikers arent called organ donors for nothing and you tell us we waste our own blood...!

Bikes could equally argue many points about car drivers being greedy but thats not what this thread is for.

Personally, I always kit up.. I dont see a reason not to..

Soldato
My only point is that it's not up to you or anyone else to decide where people should draw the line with their own risk. You may draw it at riding a bike, whereas many think that is far too dangerous but it doesn't stop you does it? Some draw the line a bit higher, doesn't make anyone wrong or an idiot.

Soldato
OP
My only point is that it's not up to you or anyone else to decide where people should draw the line with their own risk. You may draw it at riding a bike, whereas many think that is far too dangerous but it doesn't stop you does it? Some draw the line a bit higher, doesn't make anyone wrong or an idiot.

Very fair point. Can't argue that mate.

I shall reword it then, I personally think people could have a little bit more common sense when mounting upon very dangerous machines.

ags

Caporegime
Why should we be forced to have any sort of protection for OUR lives if WE do not wish to do so.

yet such a law already exists that forces us to wear seatbelts in cars.

Nobody calls for that to be removed due to the "nanny state"

admitting you dont wear a seatbelt will get you the sort of comments you would if you said you liked drink driving. Granted they are not comparable, but it would get a comparably frosty reception by the public for saying so.

why then am i not free to choose to not wear a seatbelt.

Back
Top Bottom