• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Caporegime
That will be a good thing for PC gaming I reckon. Less people will buy GPU and go consoles driving down prices.
Depends where you want PC gaming to end up.

Some people want devs to utilise their resources making the PC version the best-looking, best performing. They don't mind spending £1500+ on a PC if they think the PC version is superior.

Other people want PC gaming to remain affordable, and don't mind a similar experience to the consoles (plus next-gen consoles are looking much more able than current-gen).

I'm in the latter camp. I don't expect devs to spend time making superior PC versions if the PC hardware is so expensive only 5% of gamers will benefit.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm in the latter camp. I don't expect devs to spend time making superior PC versions if the PC hardware is so expensive only 5% of gamers will benefit.

From experience it seems the devs dont put in any extra time anyway, once it ports away from the console its a 'lets get it to just run' on the PC platform if your lucky by release?

Caporegime
From experience it seems the devs dont put in any extra time anyway, once it ports away from the console its a 'lets get it to just run' on the PC platform if your lucky by release?
Plus there aren't really any "AAA" PC exclusives anymore (besides MMOs). The rest, like the indie Steam exclusives, will run on a Casio-spec PC :)

Soldato
why would AMD risk crippling the PC gaming market after their recent success?
They're not.

You can't make a console game on a console, you need a suite of PCs. You can't make adverts on a console, you need a suite of PCs. So AMD can offer you all the Ryzens and Threadrippers and EPYCs you could possibly want to create the games that run on their consoles. If they were to be really blunt, the expensive and toxic ultra niche that is PC gaming can go hang and it would have minimal, if any, impact on their business. Hell, everybody's crying about how AMD suck balls and can't deliver decent desktop GPUs anyway.

On the flipside though, this is why I don't think Big Navi and the Navi refresh are actually RDNA 2, but rather RDNA 1 with its problems fixed. Why take the shine off the massive performance leap these consoles will offer by showing them up with PC GPUs that are more powerful? But this is not a conversation for this particular thread ;)

Associate
On the flipside though, this is why I don't think Big Navi and the Navi refresh are actually RDNA 2, but rather RDNA 1 with its problems fixed. Why take the shine off the massive performance leap these consoles will offer by showing them up with PC GPUs that are more powerful? But this is not a conversation for this particular thread ;)
They'd better be the latest and greatest or they won't have a PC enthusiast market to sell to.

Unless they think we don't study benchmarks.

Soldato
No point in getting salty about PC Vs console. It's just a case of getting whatever works best for you just now.

The way things are going it's looking like both PC and console will be rendered obsolete by online game streaming and cloud/hosted services/platforms within 5-10 years anyway.

Associate
These consoles could have 20TF for all i care. On console you get a baseline experience, whereas on PC the games are the best they can be. So many benefits to PC gaming that consoles just don't provide. Would rather spend a little extra on hardware.

You're always going to be limited on a console, no matter how good the specs may appear. It's all just marketing BS. Happens at the start of every console generation.

But some knuckle draggers on here can't see past that, obviously.

Soldato
They'd better be the latest and greatest or they won't have a PC enthusiast market to sell to.

Unless they think we don't study benchmarks.
Well this is the trick, on paper RDNA 1 has the ability to beat everything Turing has to offer. AMD just didn't because of issues, so the top half of the stack was cancelled (allegedly), and the bottom half had the **** overclocked off it to push them up to the midrange tier (as we've seen with the RX 680 snafu).

Now fix RDNA 1's problems, refresh the existing cards as 5x50s with the fixed Navi 10, bang out 56, 64 and 80 CU monsters as per the original plan and take the performance crown until Ampere comes along. Then shortly after the consoles come out, drop RDNA 2 cards with hardware raytracing support and (hopefully) keep up with Ampere.

That still qualifies as "latest and greatest" because we're still almost a year away from the consoles.

Associate
Hahahahahahahahaaaa....since when? All I've seen is reviews and gamers lamenting their "shoddy console ports".

You do come out with some tripe, my lad.
Unfortunately a lot of people were fooled by games like The Witcher 3 PC and were distracted from the fact it was a massive downgrade with barely any differences to the console version versus what was promised.

Soldato
Sort out keyboard and mouse support and I'm in.

That's one thing I really hope MS sort out with the next Xbox. Especially for games like Elite: Dangerous which would really benefit from additional controller support beyond just a gamepad.

Plus mouse support would be great for RTS/Strategy games like civ/xcom even if they don't allow it on competitive games like halo.

Soldato
Unfortunately a lot of people were fooled by games like The Witcher 3 PC and were distracted from the fact it was a massive downgrade with barely any differences to the console version versus what was promised.

How sure are you about that? And does 120 fps also count as minor differences vs 30 fps.

49584671817_969abee888_o.jpg
49584648482_cc227f67d1_o.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
What you mean consoles will finally have what some of us have had since 2012?

What have you had since 2012?

Agree with @Hedge

Nobody has had 4k/60hz since 2012, don't make me laugh.

In 2015 I had SLI Titan X's and even that struggled to maintain 60fps at 4k at a decent detail level.

2080Ti is about the first GPU that can almost always achieve it.

Back
Top Bottom