• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Then how do you justify a £1000 gpu?

Does everyone suddenly demand 4k 120fps?

I don't really understand what route pc gaming will take. Cyberpunk will be amazing on pc, but if its 4k/60 on a next gen console then why even bother with pc?

The gap seems to be closing and either consoles or things like stadia could finally change the pc gaming world in a way people used to claim for years.

Soldato
OP
If all you do is game then your in the wrong forum.

I dont give a roos poo about consoles. They could be the best gaming experience ever still wouldnt have one as all you can do is game. Every time I've dabbled with a console it only last a month or two then went. Boring.
I do so much more with a PC than you can do on a console and its always been at least a step ahead gaming wise.

That's just my personal opinion.

Oh I thought the graphics card forum was about framerates in games. I must have missed all the threads people make here about nvidia performance in Microsoft Office.

Soldato
OP
1440p checkerboard to 4k, Aim for 30fps bam thats your next gen 4k its fake its impossible Raytracing will be a 1440p 30fps puddle reflection woah!

Nice one Sony and MS five years and basically these guys still have the same old framerates and still are far away from real 4k. What you are talking about is actually PS6. But shhh no one tell these guys we will want to hook them in with the PS5 Pro, Ah you could not make it up i actually feel deep pity for console owners.

Haha why do people behave like this? I've used a pc for gaming 20 years now and Ive also had great times using consoles. Nearly any Nintendo game, PS games like god of war, xbox games like halo.

Why would anyone feel deep pity for someone with a console? What an immature take on things.

A supposed gamer shouldn't care where he plays a game as long as its good.

Soldato
OP
I concur!

“4K” and “60Hz” is great buzzword marketing but is only a part of the whole experience. At what level of image quality, effects and technologies are we talking about here?

I played Assassins Creed at 4k on my pc with medium to high settings and I also played it at 1440p at max settings. To be honest I could barely see the difference. The higher resolution seemed to counter the graphic settings.

At 4k on a TV the difference between medium and max settings isn't exactly night and day.

Soldato
OP
I am a spoiled 240hz brat i guess and i like to troll a little but do you want to know a story? My 40yo friend is a hardcore beer and call of duty man. And when i visit him i get sick watching the 50ppi screen he has and to top it all off on his comms you hear people talking with high pitched unbroken voices. Then there is the graphics and framerate it is just a horrible experience. I used to live there i owned every console up until i found my first high framerate pc. And i feel really sorry for him and others who subject themselves to such torture. How is that immature though it is just my opinion. Had you said Rofflay you spoiled little troll get out well now we would be getting somewhere! :p

Interesting that you play at 240hz and are commenting passionately on a 4k resolution discussion. You are probably playing at 1080p. So you are about 10 years behind the rest of us.

Soldato
OP
Resolution and frame rate do not automatically equal quality. Look at the differences on console vs PC title graphics for things like missing artifacts, substantially less infill and detail, worse quality shadows and models, multiplayer version being significantly worse than single player in quality.. to name a few.

Unfortunately people seem to obsess so much over the shadows and textures that they forget about the game itself.

Most highly rated games of last 5 years seem to be console. I've always gamed on my PC because I have a Gtx 1080 and it's no slouch at 1440p but I'd be a fool if I thought my PC was the amazing platform it once was.

As the gap in fidelity closes the pc becomes harder to justify. We are all pretty aware of how minor the visual differences can be between high and ultra settings even though they cost so many frames.

Soldato
OP
That is true but they matter up to the point where your personal screens pixels become invisable and the blur goes. So framerate is important and framerate simply removes blur. A lot of people think otherwise because they have never had experience with a zero blur image. You have to bypass the current generation and go back to the days of CRT. And sadly this means 240hz as a minimum. I tested it strobed 120 works as well as 240 native but you lose sync technology to do that.

And playing these Witcher games and Cyberpunks BEFORE this step like a lot of current console owners did is the same as viewing any work of art in poor conditions. Why you might as well go see the Mona Lisa with myopia milk bottle glasses on compared to looking at the same work of art up close with 20/20 vision.

What made The Witcher so well regarded ? Was it the graphics or was it the immersive storyline? I have friends who played it on both console and pc and both of them chatted about the story. They didn't spend too long willy waving over who saw it look its prettiest.

This is where the PC master race thing comes in. People get so defensive of their GPU and forget that developers tend to make games for people to enjoy. Not to benchmark.

There is also a really interesting dynamic on this forum where people get kudos for rocking slightly older gpus (say gtx 980?) for gaming yet people who want to play the same games on a console get rinsed because they don't use a keyboard and mouse. It's silly.

Soldato
OP
Don't you think we become a little bit elitist about our pc gaming. I work in an environment where all my colleagues chat about gaming at lunch. Many of them own high end pcs (1080ti - 2080) And we all play on at least 1440p 144hz. There is also my friends who play on ps4 Pro. They chat about the fun they had on their games more than us pc gamers who tend to chat about our performance on a game.

I've no doubt whatsoever that pc games will continue to look spectacular. But when console games start to look pretty damn close from a sofa - TV distance then I don't see myself sat in front of my big water-cooled pc quite so much.

Soldato
OP
It's also kinda depressing that over 4 years down the line people still use The Witcher 3 to showcase pc capability.

The poster who is waffling on about experiencing the work of art at its best. 4k 120fps etc. Waiting 4 years to play a game. Using that logic he might aswell wait 15 years until it comes free within a "classic" library on PlayStation 10 lol.

I'm a pc enthusiast but I'm not so stubbornly blinkered. Most of my game enjoyment has came from things like Ori and the blind forest, la noir, hollow Knight, tekken 7 and countless hours on Dota 2. None of which needed any gpu power.

We might be leagues ahead on benchmark numbers but people have been having unforgettable gaming experiences on things like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Uncharted without being nearly as hung up on things as we are here.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure people are expecting them to perform like a £1200 gpu, but I think PC elites might need to accept that consoles arent giving people terrible experiences. Infact in my experience my console gaming friends seem to have a far less critical view on gaming than I do, and as a result they get far more fun out of it.

"as developers intended"

Soldato
OP
I’m a console and pc gamer. I just take each variations at face value. I find some games i will only play on console and others on pc.

Rarely I have both the same game on both console and pc... do you?

I play most of my games on pc but I play exclusives on consoles. Nintendo games never fail to impress me. They are flawless and I never give a crap about framerate when I play them. However when I play on my pc I end up faffing about with settings. Annoys me.

Soldato
OP
Gpus are currently overpriced but next gen consoles doing 4k/60fps in the majority of games is nothing but a pipe dream.

Is it though? Lots of developers have come out in recent weeks talking about performance of the next gen consoles. 4k/60fps is being said a lot.

Have you seen games like Horizon Zero Dawn on a decent TV? Considering the hardware that manages that game at 30fps, the next gen is likely to hit 60.

Soldato
OP
It's interesting that many PC enthusiasts will happily spend big money on a gpu that gives them a barely perceptible improvement (let's be honest, some people go from 95fps to 120fps and use a benchmark to tell them how satisfied they should be feeling) , yet they won't even entertain the idea of a console offering them different games and a more casual living room experience.

You could almost treat a console purchase like a pc upgrade. Maybe behave like someone who actually enjoys gaming and experience some really good games that aren't available on pc. Best of both worlds.

We all get defensive of our purchases but mature people can appreciate what alternatives offer and don't discredit them just to make themselves feel better.

Soldato
OP
The downside to everyone poo-pooing consoles and continuing to purchase ridiculously overpriced gpus is that a mid range gpu for 600 quid becomes the new norm.

We need a shakeup so people should really hope that some of these "unbelievable" performance claims are true because it might help fix this broken market.

And for the record Ive had a gtx 1080 for years and I felt it was too expensive at the time.

Back
Top Bottom