If there's 1 generation of gaming you could play forever, which one would it be?

Associate
It would be close between 4th and 5th gen, have a lot of nostalgia for 4th gen but 5th gen also had a lot of great games (FF7-9, Mario 64, Banjo, Zelda OOT/MM, Goldeneye, etc.)

Soldato
Missed 4th gen due to been 18 year old in 1990, more interested in cars.

So for me it would have be 5th gen, remember buying this grey console from Currys with only 6 games available on the shelf. Thinking I hope this is going to take off and luckly enough it did the "Playstation 1".

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's tough, because 'at the time' some games look amazing yet others look pants on the same system, for example MGS2 was 60fps and looked insane graphically and had the physics/plot/gameplay to match, then you'd play other stuff and it'd look rubbish, and you'd know it wouldn't hold up in the future - which is why remasters/remakes I'm all for as it gives you more future replayability of the classics, graphics aren't everything and I'll happily replay old stuff still, stuff like snes/megadrive/gba etc etc is fine because it's SO worlds apart, especially being 2d side scrolling, but I'll never say no to a remake/remaster.

For example the MGS2 HD Remaster on the ps3 looks stupid good even now as does Snake eater, and MGS4 on the ps3 can definitely trade blows with a ps4 graphically - not fps wise sure but it looks insane, especially upscaled on an emulator...

Remakes/remasters are great cause it gives you the rose tinted glasses effect that the original did when it was that era/new and looks 'the best' for the time you're playing it in, so I'm all for them when done faithfully, which so far I have yet to find one to pick fault with.

Soldato
The 4th gen 1990-1996 (SNES, Sega MegaDrive, Gameboy)

The 5th Gen 1995-2001 (PS1, N64, Sega Saturn and Gameboy Colour)

The 6th Gen 1999-2007 (Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox and Gameboy Advance)

Looking forward to seeing your replies!

Elite BBC version..
Everquest.. the original.. where you could train city.. and the Bard trainer always had corpses of level 2 bards surrounding him..
Unreal Tournament

Not sure of the generations but.. if I had time..

Soldato
I never owned a 4th or 5th gen, only friends had them. I was in Atari ST territory and then straight on to PC. I did however own all of the 6th gens listed at somepoint and still have my DC/PS2/Gamecube and Xbox.

Gen 6 it would be for me picking a specific platform would be hard though. DC or Xbox I Think.

Associate
Not gonna lie but anyone born from 84 onwards shouldn't talk about the SNES era. They were too young to have experienced it during its prime from 1990-1995.

That console was for us GenXers who were teen/20s then.

Soldato
You're talking absolute rubbish there. Gatekeeping in it's most comical form. As said previously, I was born in 84 and fully enjoyed the Megadrive/Snes era, so did all of my friends of the same age.

Not gonna lie, but if you are slightly a different age to me, you shouldn't be talking about anything, because your experience wasn't exactly the same as mine. See how stupid this sounds?

Associate
You're talking absolute rubbish there. Gatekeeping in it's most comical form. As said previously, I was born in 84 and fully enjoyed the Megadrive/Snes era, so did all of my friends of the same age.

Not gonna lie, but if you are slightly a different age to me, you shouldn't be talking about anything, because your experience wasn't exactly the same as mine. See how stupid this sounds?
I was in my 20s then, old enough and saw it all first hand. You were barely around in the early 90s

Caporegime

I was born in 86 and can quite clearly remember the Megadrive era. Didn't get one till Christmas 92 but played it all the way to 97 till I got my N64. There was a rental shop in the next village that had loads of games to rent. Was an awesome time.

Associate
Pc engine, SNES, Mega drive, Gameboy was the best era for gaming for me.

The arcades back then were awesome, none of this silly grab machine stuff.

I used to love going to the coast and finding the latest games but in their "arcade perfect" form.

Soldato
It's okay, you can keep telling yourself that if helps you to sleep at night
I don't really think about it, because I'm not the elitist defender of your generation and SNES gaming. The majority of your post count is telling us that you were in your twenties when the SNES came out, and that we aren't allowed to say we enjoyed it.
It's likely you are the one being kept awake at night by it.

Associate
I don't really think about it, because I'm not the elitist defender of your generation and SNES gaming. The majority of your post count is telling us that you were in your twenties when the SNES came out, and that we aren't allowed to say we enjoyed it.
It's likely you are the one being kept awake at night by it.
All I'm saying is those born from 84-89 were too young for the early 90s gaming. Sega Vs Nintendo from 90-95, you can say whatever makes you feel happy.

Back
Top Bottom