If you could travel back in time..

Soldato
I'd prefer to go back to a period of time rather than a specific event.

I've been using the ancestry site a lot recently. I'd like to go back to the times of my great grandfather who was born at the end of the 1800's and was old enough to fight in the first world war. It would be interesting to either visit that time period as he was growing up, or after world war one when he moved from the family home to the town I live in now. This area was the centre of the cotton industry.

I think back then, right up the the 90s, there was a sense of a common struggle that I don't feel much these days. So I'd like to go back in time to the year 1900.

Soldato
I wish they would make a TV series, where the entire season is already mapped out so you can re watch earlier episodes and see things you've missed. Example, in episode 9 he goes back in time to a hotel bar....first seen in episode 1. When you rewatch episode 1, you see him walking in the background etc etc.

giphy.gif

Man of Honour
So the theory SexyGreyFox mentioned is (IIRC) an internal ramp, which is plausible but unproven. External ramp for the lower part, which accounts for the great majority of the stones, then an internal ramp for the higher parts.

I believe it's the only one that Zahi Hawass has actually wrote a 'Forward' for and he gets about 5 theories a week :)
Other ancient structures in Egypt show this internal ramp and modern Egyptian builders still use it.
It's my favourite and most simplest.

Man of Honour
They recently revealed that much shallower ramps were used (in fact, even discovered in recent digs) and noticed ramp posts which were used as pulleys to raise larger stone items (which meant other large boulders, men, animals, could use gravity to assist in the raising of the stone.

Do you have any references for that interesting post? There are a couple of things I'd like more information on.

"much shallower ramps"...the lower the angle of the ramp, the longer the ramp would have to be. Even at the steepest angle for which it's plausible for people to drag heavy objects up it (~7 degrees), a ramp to reach the upper part of the great pyramid would be unfeasibly large. Much larger than the pyramid itself and it wouldn't fit in the surrounding geography anyway. At a shallower angle, the ramp would have to be even bigger.

"pulleys" Is there proof that the ancient Egyptians had pulley systems capable of raising multi-tonne weights? That's a pretty hefty pulley system and would be very impressive for the early bronze age. Where were the mounting points for the pulleys? They can't have been on the pyramid itself because there isn't enough space (any type of crane system was ruled out on that basis and others).

I'm getting the impression of a very large artifical hill built near the pyramid, a series of stepped levels on one side with pulley systems to raise stones to the top of the hill and a very deep, very wide but relatively short ramp from the top of the hill to the upper levels of the pyramid. Is that what you meant?

Man of Honour
Wouldn't you need some sort of security clearance to get near the plane prior to takeoff?

The OP stated that one of the parameters of this idea was a complete inability to interact with the past in any way, that it was purely observational. So nobody and nothing in the past could detect you in any way or hinder you in any way. You could walk through walls, fly, stand inside an active nuclear reactor, inside an erupting volcano, at the bottom of the oceans, whatever. No interaction at all. You're not really there, it's more of a remote spying sort of thing.

EDIT: It's just occured to me that would also mean that you wouldn't be able to see, hear, touch, smell or taste anything. Bit of a problem there!

Last edited:
Soldato
Born 1960's. Grew up in to 70's. Became a man in the 80's and 90's. They were incredible. I had so much fun. I need to get back to that time. Nothing has compared since. It was such a good time.

Oh snap! Great music, cheap drugs, bad-handling motorcycles and plenty of gothette clunge. Halcyon days, my brothers, halcyon days.

Permabanned
By the way guys, I forgot to show you your time travel machine. This is it. I bought it from ebay, it's fully refurbed, only had 3000 users, and is in excellent working condition so it should get you back to the present with little to no problem. You just set the dials to your desired date and year and pull the lever. Just put your name down and you'll get your turn soon. :)

11-Comet-Time-Machine.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Looks better than mine. I'll happily give it a try. Here's a pic of me for verification purposes:

DM3YUkU.jpg

Soldato
Do you have any references for that interesting post? There are a couple of things I'd like more information on.

"much shallower ramps"...the lower the angle of the ramp, the longer the ramp would have to be. Even at the steepest angle for which it's plausible for people to drag heavy objects up it (~7 degrees), a ramp to reach the upper part of the great pyramid would be unfeasibly large. Much larger than the pyramid itself and it wouldn't fit in the surrounding geography anyway. At a shallower angle, the ramp would have to be even bigger.

"pulleys" Is there proof that the ancient Egyptians had pulley systems capable of raising multi-tonne weights? That's a pretty hefty pulley system and would be very impressive for the early bronze age. Where were the mounting points for the pulleys? They can't have been on the pyramid itself because there isn't enough space (any type of crane system was ruled out on that basis and others).

I'm getting the impression of a very large artifical hill built near the pyramid, a series of stepped levels on one side with pulley systems to raise stones to the top of the hill and a very deep, very wide but relatively short ramp from the top of the hill to the upper levels of the pyramid. Is that what you meant?

Yes, (sorry, I meant sharper, not shallower).

This is one such article from the back end of last year which you may have already seen.

the Pulley
https://egyptianpulley.com/

The Ramp and posts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ows-light-on-mystery-of-pyramids-construction

Back
Top Bottom