If you don't have an iPhone...

Soldato
Wow, i might just be beat.

Though i am somewhat mystified by the ambiguous 'Graphics - HD Graphics' next to the graphics chipset. Lets do a bit of digging. Oh yes, here we are:

Intel HD Graphics

The Macbook has an integrated graphics solution from nvidia, miles better than the Intel chipset and therefore: not a valid comparison

Try again.

So the XPS 15 that's £200 cheaper? sporting an Nvidia graphics chip better than the Macbook one? Has more memory, and a bigger drive? and its an I5?

What you say to that one.

Soldato
So the XPS 15 that's £200 cheaper? sporting an Nvidia graphics chip better than the Macbook one? Has more memory, and a bigger drive? and its an I5?

I would say take the two of them side by side..boot them, open Ai in each and open a file to size to billboard size and see what happens, have seen this first hand...was embarressing to say the least.

What ive come to discover is that the sum of the work each one can do has little to do with all out spec TBH.

Soldato

It tells me that the consumer doesn't value the Dell brand as highly as the Apple brand ;)

Associate
I'd rather have a Razer or Logitech mouse thanks.

You're implying they don't go hand in hand. Remember the trackpad fully supports their gestures. So I can swipe back and forth in Finder with one hand and move the cursor around with my Razor DeathAdder mouse. ;)

Man of Honour
Just looking at overclockers hard drive list it would most likely be the one around the £80 mark as the hard drives over £80 are Sata 3, Sata 3 in a x58 machine is a bit of a waste. Equally sata 3 on a mechanical hard drive is still a waste, but I doubt they would use Sata 3 as they would mention it.
Here

The original hard drive is sata 3, so the 2tb one will almost certainly be sata3 6gbps

Soldato

The MacBook good olde bahvv selected is a 13". Dell don't actually do their XPS series in a 13" screen :p

The closest in terms of build quality you will find is probably a Samsung Q320 or a Sony Vaio S series

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple make good software that runs well on low spec.

But tbh for the average user who uses browser, video player and documents Windows is fine.

Also before everyone starts telling me to go away, consider Linux, I've run Linux mint on a 1gb RAM machine that had a 1.67ghz dual core and the hard drive was half full (80gb out of 160gb) and it would start up in seconds.

Linux isn't what it used to be, it is getting more user friendly, people need to wake up. Only disadvantage is gaming, but then again most mac users don't game on there mac.

Oh yeh its also free.

Permabanned
I always thought that Macs were easier to use than PCs, and more stable, but when I first used one I couldnt find the power button, took me a while to figure out to save to USB, and the thing froze up and crashed when I simply pulled my USB stick out after the file had finished copying.

Meh, PCs are more stable and easier to use.

Soldato
I would say take the two of them side by side..boot them, open Ai in each and open a file to size to billboard size and see what happens, have seen this first hand...was embarressing to say the least.

What ive come to discover is that the sum of the work each one can do has little to do with all out spec TBH.

Indeed, but then we all know there are things that one can handle and the other cant. It works both ways/

Logic for example on Mac, superior to anything on PC. Awesome piece of software, and I would own a Mac just for this software, if my interest ever moved from a hobby to a more full time interest

But also, Traktor DJ, As great as it is on both formats, I've seen its struggling point on Mac. Loading a 300GB Mp3\CDG library. And then trying to do a search afterwards, The Mac really does struggle, crawl, it locks up as it cant handle common search terms. Like the, and, etc.

The same software on PC, with the same library. No problems.

Last edited:
Associate
I always thought that Macs were easier to use than PCs, and more stable, but when I first used one I couldnt find the power button, took me a while to figure out to save to USB, and the thing froze up and crashed when I simply pulled my USB stick out after the file had finished copying.

Meh, PCs are more stable and easier to use.

I don't understand your point. Of course someone from a PC background isnt going to find them immediately usable. If everything was the same then there wouldn't be any choice. Engage common sense before posting.

But also, Traktor DJ, As great as it is on both formats, I've seen its struggling point on Mac. Loading a 300GB Mp3\CDG library. And then trying to do a search afterwards, The Mac really does struggle, crawl, it locks up as it cant handle common terms. Like the, and, etc.

The same software on PC. No problems.

Do they state the Mac version is fully written from the ground up or is it a half assed port?

Back
Top Bottom