If you found a phone...

Soldato
Have found one in the past, Called a number that seemed to be fairly common and it was her friend. As I was at work I arranged to meet her after work and give her the phone back. I'm nice like that, She wasn't hot :(

Soldato
I found a blackberry torch the other month on a virgin train as it left Birmingham. It was unlocked so i called the owners mum. We arranged to meet in Coventry, i told her what i was wearing so she'd recognize me. I get off the train and im greeted by police :(

Turns out the daughter who lost the phone rang her mum and claimed it had been stolen, so the mum called the police to meet me instead of her.

I'd be seriously tempted to keep the next 1 after that experience.

Associate
Yep. Found a blackberry in a puddle outside my house last year. Dried it out. got it working, rang the owner and returned it.

Was worth it, his parents brought round a couple of decent bottles of wine as a thank you,. :D

edit.... though if it were a One X I'd have a trouble as I REALLy want one but can't justify it.

Soldato
IMO, most would have returned it but only because they wouldn't of been able to gain anything from a blacklisted phone. If complete functionality resumed most would have kept it or sold it on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would, as I know how ****ed off I'd be if I lost mine...plus the fact it can be blocked with just a phone call :p
This

I would've probably thought about it when I was like 11 though... "Oh my god free money!"

I can only imagine how I would feel if I lost my iPhone 4S, especially as phones get more expensive.

Problem is, how do you know who the owner is. If it's got a password lock you can't get on and look for a number such as home or anything like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found a blackberry torch the other month on a virgin train as it left Birmingham. It was unlocked so i called the owners mum. We arranged to meet in Coventry, i told her what i was wearing so she'd recognize me. I get off the train and im greeted by police :(

Turns out the daughter who lost the phone rang her mum and claimed it had been stolen, so the mum called the police to meet me instead of her.

I'd be seriously tempted to keep the next 1 after that experience.

:D

What happened with you and the police then?

Soldato
OP, your friends are scumbags, you should show them this thread to hopefully shame them into changing their ways...and get better friends. :p

Good grief 998cc...what happened?

Soldato
i would return it tbh.. as nice as it would be to find a good phone but it just isn't worth it since it will be blocked soon and the phone has a lot of info which the person that lost might need.. days when the 3310 nokias were new i wouldn't have :D

One

One

Soldato
I've had a phone nicked before, probably slipped out my phone when sitting down. I tried ringing it within an hour and the phone was already switched off.

This back in the days of payg and so I had to shell out for a new phone really annoyed me.

I'd like to know how effective the blocking that the carriers do is. I know they have full control over the sim card but when they block a phone is that phone basically a brick without being unblocked? The fact that the carrier can unblock it makes me think the clever Asians you always see at the market can unblock them pretty easily too.

Soldato
I've had a phone nicked before, probably slipped out my phone when sitting down. I tried ringing it within an hour and the phone was already switched off.

This back in the days of payg and so I had to shell out for a new phone really annoyed me.

I'd like to know how effective the blocking that the carriers do is. I know they have full control over the sim card but when they block a phone is that phone basically a brick without being unblocked? The fact that the carrier can unblock it makes me think the clever Asians you always see at the market can unblock them pretty easily too.

afaik its an imei block so the phone will be as good as a brick - you can actually use everything on it except receive calls/texts/3g etc - anything that involves sim car and the only way to "unblock it" is to change the pcb i might be incorrect tho

Man of Honour
All the "I found X, what should I do?" moral dilemmas can be answered by asking yourself a simple question - am I a thief? If you're a thief, you keep it. If you're not, you take reasonable steps to return it to its owner. I'm not saying that you shouldn't rest or spare any expense until you've returned it. I just hand stuff in at the nearest police station. Anyone who can't spare 10 minutes out of their life to avoid being a thieving lowlife who doesn't care what harm their stealing does to other people doesn't have much of a moral code.

I've more respect for honest thieves who pick pockets, snatch bags and suchlike than I have for dishonest thieves who take things that they know belong to other people and pretend they're not stealing anything.

Back
Top Bottom