If you work from home what do you do?

Caporegime
I've always been kinda curious what happens inall these office type jobs especially with all the wfh.

What specifically do you all actually do?

I only ever hear vague "answer emails" or have teams meetings.

Are you all just round Robin emailing each other or does something happen somewhere?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Submit monthly reporting data
Update / review procedures
Project based work as required
Answer technical questions from n00bs
Incident investigation and action updates
Watch TV :p

Soldato
Supporting software for a company so literally troubleshooting tickets 3rd line and sitting on project meetings.

It's all pretty dull but the upside is that quieter periods allow for uninterrupted training to pad out the CV or kicking back for some gaming time.

In the office it was impossible to sit and spend downtime doing productive things like free training courses because there's always an element of 'looking busy' but WFH I've managed to upskill myself on SQL and server infrastructure to plug holes in my CV.

Soldato
not myself but sister is on 12 hour shift track and trace today, phoning members of the public is not fun from what i gather. Gobby angry people all day

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So what is "project based work"?
I run a TPM pillar for site, so sorting out tasks that need to be done and checking progress on those. For instance, as part of the pillar we have implemented a health and wellbeing committee, so that may also mean sorting out an event such as a charity bike ride or cake sale.

Projects could be any number of long term improvement (construction, procedural or skill wise) but can't really go in to detail without giving the game away :p

Caporegime
OP
I run a TPM pillar for site, so sorting out tasks that need to be done and checking progress on those. For instance, as part of the pillar we have implemented a health and wellbeing committee, so that may also mean sorting out an event such as a charity bike ride or cake sale.

Projects could be any number of long term improvement (construction, procedural or skill wise) but can't really go in to detail without giving the game away :p

I'm still fairly clueless here :cry:

I'm going to put it down as organises bake sales :D

I suppose what I mean woth this is kinda what are you all producing? Like what happens if you're not there? Is a lot of it just information condensation?

After Googling TPM say do you collect all the armour maintainence shudules and produce a master schedule for some one to follow etc?

Associate
Rudimentary database administration.
Writing of reports.
Data visualisation (Power BI and R Shiny).
Writing training material and delivering training.

Soldato
Erm... I do my job? lol

Which depends on what priority is set (which fire is burning) on any day/week/month. Right now I'm dealing with a larger part of the business and their compliance part of the organization making us adopt their SOPs, which don't fit with our operating model. So trying to come up with strategy to cover the compliance controls we must, while making them work for our way of working and not creating huge overhead and red tape. Somehow this is in scope of my product management role, but hey. I do a lot of defining of ways of working at the moment.

Same as I would in the office, with fewer coffee breaks but more Youtube watching ;)

Soldato
I calculate the capacity of junctions and work out Where People Are Going.
I write reports that get used in the planning process.
I draw stuff in AutoCAD (2D only so my laptop does not explode)
I also have meetings and answer emails with more emails and say "let's take this offline" etc
I sit at my desk and think time is a valuable thing I watch it fly as the pendulum swings, watch it count down to the end of the day, the clock ticks life away.
I WhatsApp my partner in the next room.

Permabanned
Answer technical questions from n00bs

^ This is just for OcUK forums right? :D

Remote Sysadmin (SMB's only)

Microsoft office licensing (+setup, rollout, migrations e.t.c).
Microsoft windows licensing (+setup, rollout, migrations e.t.c).
Microsoft 0365 Email (setup/migration/administration).
VPN connections (new, existing, migrations and administration).
Various other applications on request (sage, payroll manager, SIMMA e.t.c).
General desktop support (Outlook, password resets, group policies).
Active directory (setup, migrations, changes and administration).
Remote switch configurations from various hardware.
VOIP (multiple setups from ground up, migrations and current, different hardware, software and administration)
Fiber connection tests (if a line is slow or goes down)
Documentation on any aspects of above.

Some days I don't get any tickets at all so I do the below, some days I'm super busy.

All of the above while watching TV, listening to music, playing games and drinking tea/coffee.

Back
Top Bottom