If you work from home what do you do?

Soldato
In 2 years my role has gone from testing smart TVs (software/apps/certification) to testing our own apps, and now writing software for those apps.

So yes I get to watch TV at work and even did back in the office :D I have a small TV on the wall above my monitor, another over my shoulder and my main TV opposite the sofa behind me. Testing involves trying features out for compatibility on all 3, making sure streaming content works continuously, etc.

In reality I spend about 50% of my time writing code or reviewing and testing others' code. Then 25% in meetings and planning work with others. The remaining 25% is answering questions from other colleagues, assisting with technical issues, investigating issues from individual TV brands, looking after shared resources/documentation etc.

I should point out this is 100% of the time I'm managing to focus on work; I lose a fair bit of time to distraction and disorganisation, between the kettle, doorbell, home life bleeding into work...
I hope you haven't anything to do with that garbage Now TV app. Talk about learning lessons from absolutely no one and then throwing in copious amounts of adverts for good measure. Luckily we steal it from the in-laws.

Soldato
I hope you haven't anything to do with that garbage Now TV app. Talk about learning lessons from absolutely no one and then throwing in copious amounts of adverts for good measure. Luckily we steal it from the in-laws.
Funny you should say that, I logged in for the first time ever today (borrowing an account for one show) and had exactly that reaction!

Caporegime
I do my normal job, but at home.

Only stuff I can't do is the physical stuff, like moving printers into place or desktops/laptops. Sometimes I need to be in front of a device, but not often.

Other than that, everything i do in the office i can do at home, simply because I can logo onto my work machine, or any other server or machine at work. So much so I've adopted a split recently, so I go in first thing then go home for lunch.

Soldato
I work in payment processing, i spend all day setting up merchant accounts & selling card terminals & till systems for a few different acquirers.

All I really need is web access & a phone line. I will very rarely go to site for large or complex installs, last one was in late November though.

Soldato
I've always been kinda curious what happens inall these office type jobs especially with all the wfh.

What specifically do you all actually do?

I only ever hear vague "answer emails" or have teams meetings.

Are you all just round Robin emailing each other or does something happen somewhere?
I'm a software engineer. So I design and make software

Soldato
Construction consultancy

Mainly strategic direction and dealing with **** with clients and / or staff and contributing to / signing off bids

With lashings of teams meetings, emails and presentations .....

Back
Top Bottom