I'm DarkShadow. And This is my story.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will certainly start working on those things. It was the first time I lifted as heavy since my operation last year.

I've returned from my travels and I had my MRI scan last night.

I was abroad for 4 weeks from Venice straight to Pakistan (pk) the next 12 hours. After landing in pk, I stuck with bottled water and kept a fairly strict diet (grilled chicken/fish/boiled eggs/omelettes).

I went to the gym there about 4 times a week. I find it difficult to describe what I saw there. Lets just say the bro-reps were taken to a whole new level.

Nm6sazI.jpg

brKRRan.jpg

Some key notes:
  • It was bare foot policy with cast iron plates (I saw a 20KG plate drop on someone's foot).
  • Some guys would train in trousers and shirts whilst others would train in traditional clothes.
  • I opted for the hefty 7 day weekly gym membership which cost a grand total of 100 rupees (58p). Whereas a monthly membership would cost 300 rupees (£1.74) :cool:
  • These guys made the youtube awful form videos seem good! :eek: :D
I did well for some 12 days. Then I fell seriously ill. The worst experience I've had in all my years of living. Some 16 projectile vomits and countless bouts of diarrhea in 10 hours.. It got so bad, I ended up in some village hospital on drips and hell of a lot of medication. I became severely dehydrated and had severe gastric problems. Paired up with altitude (2000m) and motion sickness, the last 10 days became very difficult.

I'm still allowing my body to adjust from the trauma :( It's the first time I've broke out of IF in over a year of sticking with it, my body is just craving food and lots of it!

I'll be posting my current routine and the plan tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
My ethos stands from first day of training:
  • 110% Natural.
  • 100% Beard. Brav.
  • Never used straps or a belt. I only understand RAW.

I especially like these. Errbody knows beards add at least a 10%+ buff to your lifts.

Some key notes:
  • These guys made the youtube awful form videos seem good! :eek: :D

You didn't happen to get any videos of this did you? I'd love to see just how bad they are. :o

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

You didn't happen to get any videos of this did you? I'd love to see just how bad they are. :o
Haha, I'll have a gander and upload some.

When I came back, my knee has still been in pain. I made a decision to captilise on this and work on my upper body more. I started HST after a year and a half and I forgot how ridiculous the 15's were. For the past 18 months my routines have worked around the 3-6 rep range and I had no idea how much my endurance sucked and how difficult I found the 15's.

I've completed the 15's and I realised my weights were lower than my cycle 18 months ago and I can not remember it hurting this bad.

I'm doing session #4 of the 10's today.

I weighed in at 180.4lb today which is a 10lb increase. BF has increased but I don't mind this right now.

kffbqMZ.jpg

For HST, I've took on the following exercises for every session:

* = Alt session
Green = end of 15's
Yellow = 10's (session 4 of 6, Today eve)

SLDL 112.5 130
Overhead Press 42.5 52.5
DB Bench 26 34
Lat Raise 7 10
Pullup/Chin Up* -30KG/-27KG Assisted -15KG/-10KG Assisted
Plate Loaded Row 62.5 77.5
Plate loaded Low Row 52.5 77.5
Weighted Crunch 45 62.5
Leg Ext (Can't go to high due to ACL injury) 40 57.5
Calf Raise on Leg Press 120 140KG
Dips +7.5KG 17.5KG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had my MRI scan and here's the bad news

B1cPtoUl.jpeg

The good news is that with every injury comes that eureka moment of reflection along with realisation. I will become wiser and I believe this is all an integral part in becoming stronger; mentally, physically and spiritually :)

Soldato
Glad you've finished chucking your guts up and wee'ing your guts out your backside! Sounds awful, reminds me of the Norovirus.

In for bearded gains.

Out for injury :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

Seriously brah!

You've come along way since I last saw you (I know its been time!). Props!
Wow, I see you more on OcUK than life. Soup brah?

I've been training hard since the start of the year taking my clean and press to 107.5KG without much leg drive and deadlifting 220KG comfortably without straps or belt.

On the 17th of January things moved seriously quick. I got a call of a dropout for surgery and before I knew it I had an operation 3 days later for the 20th.

I had day surgery and I responded badly to the general anesthetic. Post-OP I was told absolutely nothing by the surgeons or nurses. I guess it makes sense waking up from GA under meds isn't the best of times to take in information.

My friend is practising medicine and he got me some details.Turns out my ACL is gone with some degeneration to the lateral. Details here:

0D36cKG.jpg

It's likely I'm going to need another operation for my ACL. I have a follow up in 4 weeks.

These past couple of weeks have been really tough. I've been out of work for months since this injury. The healing hasn't been what was expected. I'm really struggling to do stairs and the knee occasionally gives way. I've dropped 8lb in 2 weeks and I'm now in at 177lb from 185lb. I've never been in a position where my circumstances stop me from having no routine. Having reassessed things, I'm not quite sure where to take my training from here.

My relationship with food has been a tough one. Trying to apply routine with food whilst sedentary is mentally taxing. I'm trying to do some kind of IF. I regularly have really bad craving for sugary food/carbs and having had friends come over with goody bags, it's been difficult to avoid.

There's only one way to go from here and that's up. I'm going to start some form light physio in my bedroom starting this week. Over the weeks, I want to get back into the gym and do some upper body and skill related work, once I figure something out. Anyone care to share some perspective? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Das not gud news mane :(

Great to see you're maintaining a positive attitude though and trying to be productive.

I don't have any suggestions myself but perhaps Icecold might have some suggestions, if he feels comfortable giving them.

Soldato
OP
9 days ago I reactivated my gym membership, I've been going in to gauge where I'm at. I haven't been doing a great deal, some upper body movements and walking 10 minutes on the treadmill. I've had 4 sessions in total. Leg is like jelly when I move it where as the right leg still has considerable definition. Left thigh has dropped an inch in size over the last 7 months.

It's the first time I've ever felt like this but I don't want to carry on training. There's no enjoyment and it feels counter intuitive. However, all that said my BF is high and I have to do something for my health.

I'm going to work on a progressive routine I can commit to. I have a follow up in 2 weeks. If there's a second surgery I'll come back to goals then but for now I want to decrease my bodyfat and improve my movements/mobility and general health.

Soldato
OP
I've been working hard. After some 100+ applications over the week, I had 10 interviews with 7 exams. I've finally got a new job and I start tomorrow :) This is great news for having a set routine and staying mentally stimulated for a good company.

I've made a custom routine that I intend to follow for 8 weeks. I've spent weeks trying to get this right. I left an empty canvas and experimented each session to find what works best for me.

The plan is increase my level of fitness. Each week will most likely be different where I'll be working on volume with a mixture of periodization and supersets. A lot of this is very new to me. I've rarely curled and rarely used some of these parameters.

I've lost 11lb in 4 weeks. I'm trying to slowly decrease decrease my bodyfat whilst building back up. Some exercises are subject to change as I can't afford any accidents - I will be using progressions to get into (safe) BW exercises when my strength increases.

Here's this week:

y7XeKqK.jpg

I'm determined to stay fit and healthy as that will enable me to achieve all my other goals/challenges. I've been through the worst of it (I think).

Soldato
OP
A quick update:

Albeit being pushed in lots of directions, I'm still training hard and consistently.

I have an appointment in a months time. When I last met the surgeon, I was informed that my ACL is torn. His own advice was that I should still be able to do the things I want without surgery and I should just focus on recovery. I don't particularly feel the same way, I don't feel good and I can feel it in every step that I take. I'm leaning towards surgery.

The more difficult challenge is in what lies ahead, knowing that all that I've been working towards will have to take a backseat once again. And the 3-4 months in the early stages of recovery are awfully difficult. However, I'm not trying to think of that right now, it's a daunting prospect.

I've been training awfully hard and dieting even harder. My deadlifts are now up to 130KG for 6 reps but my leg starts shaking at this point - I'm going to carry on with the intensity as a light weight as it's the only sure way of strengthening it. I know this because I was on 35KG some months ago. I can now do a back lever for a few seconds. I'd like to work on this and strengthen my core but for now, I'm taking it easy as I can feel it straining my deltoids.

m9MD1oq.jpg

Post surgery, despite being on a deficit and losing a lot of weight, I looked pretty bad. Once I was back into a routine and eating strict, things became somewhat easier mentally. Across 8 weeks (started dieting 3 weeks prior first pic), things were starting to move along after losing around 8lb:

7zF9JtV.jpg

Right now I'm trying to get into the best shape I can before Ramadan starts on June 29th (TBC). I have 6 weeks to kill it. Then maintain for Ramadan and a lean bulk until I get married in October.

My mental frame of mind is that I feel demoralised and weak. I was in better shape in 2012. I'm still rollin' with a plan for now. Over and out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom