I'm on 717,000 points. Anyone want a race to 1,000,000?

Soldato
I'm up for this! I'm probably not going to win due to being too far back and being under a night-time folding curfew, but it sounds fun :) You can add me in if it's not too much trouble.

Associate
Well I've finally sorted out my folding priorities... unfortunately it means that I have to run a automated script every 15 minutes that sets the GPU client priority up to below normal rather than low/idle which the VMWare images are :) As you guys may be aware the GPU client doesn't hold its priority if you change it manually ;)

It may be a pain, but I'm up to 9000PPD if I don't touch my machine :D

Soldato
Well I've finally sorted out my folding priorities... unfortunately it means that I have to run a automated script every 15 minutes that sets the GPU client priority up to below normal rather than low/idle which the VMWare images are :) As you guys may be aware the GPU client doesn't hold its priority if you change it manually ;)

It may be a pain, but I'm up to 9000PPD if I don't touch my machine :D

erp.:(

Associate
OP
Thanks for the work you've done shadowscotland... looking good. I currently have the lowest PPD of all the racers so I better get my arse in gear. theheyes did you mean to type 8800GS? A 8400 will only get you around 500ppd. Funnily enough I am going to start folding with an 8400GS soon but only because I have one sat spare at work. I'm going to need more than that tho..

Soldato
Even at 60k a week your'll be four months before you hit 1mill (which is awesome but this race will be over in about 30 days)

What name are you folding under btw?

Can easily start a new race to six figures in a few months time, but their is no way I'd doing daily stats for that long. the data stops at the finish line :D

That said - if you stomp verbal before he hits 1 million ... top marks

Last edited:
Soldato
theheyes did you mean to type 8800GS?

I did, well spotted. Brain freeze. I have an 8400GS in the folding box which I bought literally just to run the display.

I think I'll wait. Aside from the fact I shouldn't really spend anything I don't need to at the moment (cars, holidays to pay for and possibly between jobs) there is only room for one GPU in the folding box so I'd probably best not buy it on a whim.

Associate
You bring up an interesting point though - the people that have naked folding machines at the moment aren't taking advantage of the GPU client - probably because they are on linux. It now makes more sense to go windows and VMWare the SMP clients.

Unfortunately it does mean a minimum of £100 x no of machines :/

Soldato
Luckily my setup is Windows (Vista 32) with 2VMs so hopefully I'll have no overheads for a GPU upgrade. Hope the PSU is good enough.

The GPU2 client is a lot more game-changing than people think for the serious folders. I predict, if things stay as they are, the SMP client is going to become the new Standard client. CPU overhead for the Nvidia cards is next to nothing, so people building dedicated boxes are going to be tempted to build them with 2 graphics cards and a relatively low-power dual core CPU. Probably not even worth overclocking it either. That's my view anyway.

There was an article recently about how good the SMP client was for the actual science, so maybe we'll see a points increase if users start dropping off. Nehalem might change things again with it's integrated memory controller which will no doubt boost the SMP client significantly.

Soldato
Luckily my setup is Windows (Vista 32) with 2VMs so hopefully I'll have no overheads for a GPU upgrade. Hope the PSU is good enough.

The GPU2 client is a lot more game-changing than people think for the serious folders. I predict, if things stay as they are, the SMP client is going to become the new Standard client. CPU overhead for the Nvidia cards is next to nothing, so people building dedicated boxes are going to be tempted to build them with 2 graphics cards and a relatively low-power dual core CPU. Probably not even worth overclocking it either. That's my view anyway.

There was an article recently about how good the SMP client was for the actual science, so maybe we'll see a points increase if users start dropping off. Nehalem might change things again with it's integrated memory controller which will no doubt boost the SMP client significantly.

tend to agree at the moment GPU is the way to go.

Cheap 8800gtx's are 2nd about £120 or less now and will pump out about 4k a day at least!! which is better than a overclocked quad with 2 win smp clients!!

Associate
Even at 60k a week your'll be four months before you hit 1mill (which is awesome but this race will be over in about 30 days)

What name are you folding under btw?

Can easily start a new race to six figures in a few months time, but their is no way I'd doing daily stats for that long. the data stops at the finish line :D

That said - if you stomp verbal before he hits 1 million ... top marks

Verbal has how many points? Aah if this will end in 30 days i won't have a chance, from the beginning of August i should be hitting 15-20K PPD though, that's why i was so cocky :D

Associate
I'll try mate, but it won't be too easy :p
Just convinced my dad to let me pay him a small amount of money for each day that i want it 24/7 folding, as soon as i get my 280 in my rig in August, it'll be setup for 7K PPD, already doing 500 ppd on processors, that's 7.5, got 2 other GPU's grinding at 10K PPD already, but they aren't on all day. Looking at something like 12K PPD realistically, also gonna be installing FAH on my laptop so i can draw some of my school's electricity for a noble purpose :p

Soldato
The GPU2 client is a lot more game-changing than people think for the serious folders. I predict, if things stay as they are, the SMP client is going to become the new Standard client.

Agreed. The GPU points are too high, really. You can bag yourself an 8800GT for £80ish, it'll give more points than an OCed quad whilst having no real effect on system performance (unlike the SMP), using no extra RAM and being compatible with pretty much any mobo and CPU. If you're folding for points it's a complete no-brainer, particularly as the GPU client is dead reliable where the SMP still needs a poke sometimes. Were I building a new folding rig I'd get the cheapest mobo possible with two PCI-E slots and fill it with two 88GTs and the cheapest dual-core CPU I could find. 10-12kppd for peanuts.

Also interesting that Vista is where it's at now - virtually no CPU overhead on GPU, so good for SMP + GPU combinations. As for the standard client... with a view to points, there's not really any justification for running it at all. It's kinda a shame - feels like the guys with lower-end hardware are being squeezed out.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is sort of a shame about the standard client fading into oblivion, but it is still the client pushed to new and casual users. I think most people started folding with the standard client - I know I did. So, in that respect, it serves it's purpose. It's also very stable and is the client I would choose if I wanted to borg something I'm not going to see again e.g. a computer in a popular retail store.

In terms of raw power though, the standard client can't be contributing much. 88% of the total FLOPS is done by the GPUs/PS3s. Of the remaining 12% I wouldn't like to guess what the split is between SMP/standard, but you get the idea.

This is the way things are going though; multicore. Modern GPUs have a lot of untapped power tied up in their multiple processing element design which is just starting to be unlocked. We're a bit ahead of the curve at the moment. In the industry IBM are selling Cell-equipped servers and I think I heard the next version of Photoshop supports GPU acceleration. On the consumer side, Apple are integrating OpenCL into their next operating system, which is going to provide an interface for suitable applications to tap into the GPU power. This, combined with their notorious control over the hardware, is going to lead to some very "interesting" performance statistics (after their marketing department get on it at least.) Linux won't be far behind although the jury is out on Windows, because at the moment it does not like multi threaded processing at all. Roll on Windows 7.

With this in mind it's no surprise that AMD acquired ATI and Intel are making more aggressive moves in the graphics department. They know as well as anyone where the future lies. In a few years time, the term "graphics card" may even become archaic. Instead, we'll all be buying "accelerator cards" which will improve a lot of computing tasks. The General Purpose CPU is not going away for a long, long time, but the direction is changing.

Soldato
Yeah, I started with the standard client - fond memories of trying to get lots of those 364-point WUs in a row so I could keep up 500ppd :D

Agree with you about the way things are going! Wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time we get a CPU which is basically two processors in one - one for general-purpose stuff and another that's more like a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom